Thread: Homer tomorrow

Default Homer tomorrow

Well, since we didn't fill the freezer in whittier yesterday, we are going to fish Homer tomorrow. The weather looks good as far as wind goes, so we should be able to fish just about anywhere we want. Anyone been out lately with any kind of reports. Any kings being caught? We are going to give them an honest effort.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Well Saturday was not exactly what the marine forecast said. Water was pretty rough. A lot of boats trolling behind the islands and we didn't catch anything but it's always an adventure hehe

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Well, since we didn't fill the freezer in whittier yesterday, we are going to fish Homer tomorrow. The weather looks good as far as wind goes, so we should be able to fish just about anywhere we want. Anyone been out lately with any kind of reports. Any kings being caught? We are going to give them an honest effort.
    This is probably too late, but on the chance that you can access the Forum on a mobile device I'd give the Bluffs a try. Work from about Bluff Pt. north toward Anchor. My favorite combo is about 70 ft. of water with your herring about 40 ft. down. I have heard a reliable report that they also are closer to the bottom, too. Good luck and let us know how you do.

And TYBSP points out, as I've said before, the futility of putting too much stock in the marine forecast. It changes at the drop of a hat and is notoriously unreliable.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

We launched out of Anchor point and went south in Kayaks. I never found 70 feet of water though. mostly in 15-20 feet despite being a mile off the beach. All we caught were 2 irish lords. No other boats out where we were at. It was rough! Friday I fished around the bluffs too, and nothing was caught but had some action on the sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    We launched out of Anchor point and went south in Kayaks. I never found 70 feet of water though. mostly in 15-20 feet despite being a mile off the beach. All we caught were 2 irish lords. No other boats out where we were at. It was rough! Friday I fished around the bluffs too, and nothing was caught but had some action on the sonar.
    Unfortunately you probably aren't going to find many kings hanging out in only 15 - 20 ft. of water up that way right now, though when the spawners start coming through heavily I have caught them in only 20 - 30 ft. of water.

If you look at the chart for the area of Cook Inlet between Anchor Pt. and the Bluffs you'll see that it's really shallow quite a ways out from shore from Anchor Pt. and south quite a ways, too. Deeper waters get significantly closer to shore the closer you get to Bluff Pt., so unless you want to go out a mile or more you really need to get within about a couple of miles of Bluff Pt.

If you DO want to catch kings closer to shore in the area of Anchor, your best bet would be to head for the Whiskey Gulch beach access and fish directly out from there and then north toward Stariski. From about now until June and into July (depending on the run timing) you will find kings (and a ton of boats if the fish are "in") in anywhere from right near shore out to 70 ft. of water. As I've mentioned before the higher the tide, the closer to shore the kings (and halibut!) will be.

We missed the tide and just couldn't make it to bluff point. We wanted to find deeper water but it was rough and the current was ripping! I Wish now that we would have put in at whiskey. Oh well mostly just trying to get familiar with the yak and the areas before fishing picks up.

We missed the tide and just couldn't make it to bluff point. We wanted to find deeper water but it was rough and the current was ripping! I Wish now that we would have put in at whiskey. Oh well mostly just trying to get familiar with the yak and the areas before fishing picks up.
    Yeah, the tide at "the elbow" between Anchor and the Bluffs can be brutal. I've trolled there before and with my motor pushing me forward I was actually going backward relative to the bottom. It also can be really bad water if you hit the tide/wind/wave action wrong. I fished Whiskey Gulch one day and the weather started blowing up some wind waves of a couple of feet and at the bend there the waves just suddenly shot up to about 5 or 6 ft. I can't imagine what that would be like in a kayak.

That's the really nice thing about Whiskey Gulch. As I've said before at a big high tide the kings often times will only be anywhere from about 100 yards of shore and closer. And even at low tide you only have to go out about 1/4 of a mile to get into fishable waters. AND there are halibut there, too, so you can get a mixed bag without having to go out a few miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

And TYBSP points out, as I've said before, the futility of putting too much stock in the marine forecast. It changes at the drop of a hat and is notoriously unreliable.
    For sure because NOAA called for 3 footers today and it was nearly glass lol. The only reliable forecast is an eye witness one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It was a nice day on the water, pretty calm most of the day. We trolled the bluff area for a few hours with no luck. I wanted to keep at it longer, but my son doesn't have the patience it sometimes takes to tie into one, so we headed out and dropped the hook and fished for halibut. We caught a mixed bag of skates, cod, and halibut, all chickens.

How much further out did you go for the halibut?

How much further out did you go for the halibut?
    Don't know the exact mileage, but I would guess it was about 8-10 miles out from the bluffs