Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter company fuel fee - scam

Default Charter company fuel fee - scam

I just wanted to give the readers of this forum a heads up so they don't make the same mistake as I did.

In March 2006, I contracted to take 6 people out on a fishing trip with <a charter fishing company on the Kenai>. We agreed on a price and I sent full payment. In May I called and asked if I could add 7 more people (total of 13). They agreed and again I paid in-full in advance. I got a confirmation in the mail.

Now it is 2 days before our fishing trip. I got a call from <the owner's wife> saying she wanted an additional $15 per person to cover fuel costs. I told her we already paid in full, but she said "Too bad. You can either pay the additional $195.00 or not go."

I chose to not go and contracted with another company to do the trip.

I want everyone to know about the unscrupulous business practices of <this company>. Never did they mention that they are now collecting a fuel fee (additional profit) until two days before the trip. <The owner's wife> told me that they have just been asking people to pay as they boarded the boat. So if you think the fee is unfair, you have no option other than to not go.

I understand that fuel prices have increased and the boats have to make up for it some how. But the practice of accepting your payment and later surprising you with an additional fee is, in my opinion, illegal, unscrupulous and immoral.

Don't book with <name removed>. They tried to scam me.

Note from webmaster: negative comments are not permitted. See rule 7 in the forum rules (FAQ)

We removed the company name, but the issue is a good one for fishermen to be aware of, so we have retained the message. In these days of rapidly increasing fuel prices, it may be important to check with your charter company to find out how they are dealing with this.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-09-2006 at 16:26. Reason: Negative comments not permitted. See rules.

Default thanks for the info.

that's interesting , charging at the last minute.
    what a rip

Default <A charter company on the Kenai>

That stinks. I have heard mostly only negatives about them since I moved to <the Kenai> 4/02. There was a post a month or so ago about problems with them. Sorry... Hopefully the other company did you right and you had a good time.
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-09-2006 at 16:28. Reason: Negative comments not permitted. See rules.
    <*)))><

Good move, cancelling the trip. No need to reward that sort of behavior.

Default refund?

Did they refund your initial payment?

You would think 13 customers is a pretty good slug of business to lose!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default <Charter company>

Boy things must have really changed. I fished with this company 10 years or so ago on several occasions. We launched out of Ninilchik and went out only about an hour and we all got nice fish. Maybe it is the next generation running the operation now as it was the dad that took us out and he did a great job. Sorry to hear about your tough time, I fish on a charter once a year and would hate to have that happen to me. Viktor
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-09-2006 at 19:26. Reason: Negative comments not permitted. See rules.

Angry Had a problem with same people

I had a problem with the same people. Booked with them at the sportsman show, there is a posting about it a month ago. Booked and they cancelled two days before. Would do nothing to help us out said they didn't know any other charter companies. We ended up going with Rod and Reel, the owners of both Tim Bergs and Rod and Reels are brothers. Rod and Reels were great.
    Highly recommed them

Eric

Default Charters

It's too bad when there is really an item like this which happens the name of the company can't be given so others aren't taken the same way. Liability is negligible if an experience is just being retold....obviously there is a very big problem with whatever company this is. But I understand the websites policy.

Have booked with Rod and Randy Berg, Rod N Reel Charters, for 15 years and have never been disappointed. Although these Berg brothers should never be confused with their brother Tim Berg.....they are completely different operations. I have never seen anyone work harder to catch you big fish everytime you go out as Rod and Randy...they are a class act.

Brian

Angry I like to be kissed when this happens to me..

davidb - feel your frustration all the way around. First you have to cancel because of poor business practice and disreguard for customer service then you can't even tell the rest of us who to watch out for!!
    I had a similar experience a while back out of Ninilchik with a charter company I booked at the sport show.
    I visited the guy the next year at the short show and let him and everyone around know just what I thought of his and his wifes operation. We drew a crowd!
    Good fishing friend

Just a slight clarification on the forum rules: You can certainly send davidb a private message and inquire about the company in question. It's not that the company name can't be shared, it just can't be done on the public forum. Thanks for your understanding!

-Brian

Default Tell Me Please!

davidb - please pm me with the charter, Thanks...

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by B_M
    It's not that the company name can't be shared, it just can't be done on the public forum.
    -Brian

Especially if they are footing the bill.

Default charter

Would any of you that have the name of this charter please send me a p.m. It would be greatly appreciated! EricL

Default That sucks

What a way to run a business. Last year I booked a one day charter on the kenai. A couple days before the trip the wife asked if I would like to go the second day as they had room for one more. She offered a discount and I said yes. So I changed my plan to go out the second day. While ON THE BOAT the first day the guide gets a call form his wife and hands me the phone! She tells me they no longer have room for the second day, too bad They're lucky I didn't drop the phone in the river. I'm sure they did it because they found someone to pay full price.

Default Fuel Prices

Not the way to run a business. I've got a boat and ATV charter in Kodiak and what we've had to do is, people that booked last year for a set price pay that price. The others that booked just recently have to pay an inflated price to make up for fuel cost. It's about 20 dollars more than people that booked last fall, but it's the only fair way to do it. It's not the costumers faults that we didn't see this coming.

Bottom line, if you quote someone a price you stick too it.

Shawn Gornall

Originally Posted by B_M
    It's not that the company name can't be shared, it just can't be done on the public forum.
    -Brian

Especially if they are footing the bill.

Allen Glore
    Delta Firearms Supply
    Bethel, Alaska
    aglore@gci.net
    To the best of my knowledge, this particular charter has never been an advertiser of ours. So....if they are footing a bill...it's not ours.

David

Angry They are an advertiser

If you look at the fishing alaska section on this website they are the first advertiser on the lefthand side. It does not say <company name> in the name. The ads say by google, but I would think to advertise on this site they would have to pay a fee and they are there.

Eric
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-11-2006 at 21:02.

Default I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by unbwoodsmen
    If you look at the fishing alaska section on this website they are the first advertiser on the lefthand side. It does not say <company name> in the name. The ads say by google, but I would think to advertise on this site they would have to pay a fee and they are there.

Eric
    Well, you got me on that one. There is a large pool of Google Advertisers, and our system automatically serves up what they provide. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.

So.....at some level, they are footing the bill.

David

Default Additional Fees?

Web Master:

I understand that you don’t want people to drag other people’s names down on the form but…. As a business owner I would think twice if I pulled a stunt like that and it was talked about on the Forum. I feel the consumer needs the ability to share his good and bad experiences with the public. As an outfitter/rental Co My name is my business and I like all reputable businessmen bend over backwards to serve my clients. If I treated them like Davidd was treated People deserve to know.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com

Arrow I hear you

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    Web Master:

I understand that you don’t want people to drag other people’s names down on the form but…. As a business owner I would think twice if I pulled a stunt like that and it was talked about on the Forum. I feel the consumer needs the ability to share his good and bad experiences with the public. As an outfitter/rental Co My name is my business and I like all reputable businessmen bend over backwards to serve my clients. If I treated them like Davidd was treated People deserve to know.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    I don't entirely disagree, Walt. Here are my concerns, however:
    1) How can I distinguish between legitimate grievances and those grievances which are largely or entirely the fault of the customer? I have at various times seen what I consider to be serious lapses on the part of both business and customer displayed on these pages. I don't have the resources to sort these things out. I have too often seen customers simply trying to "get even" in the guise of "warning" others.
    2) The playing field is not level. While it is true that both customer and business have equal opportunity to use these forums, the reality is that most businesses are not represented here. The good name of a business could be sullied by a rotten customer and their well poisoned for months without their realizing it.
    3) I can be held accountable for what people publish on these pages. There have been any number of arm chair lawyers tell me why I don't need to worry about this. They may be right. But until I am certain that my resources are protected, I just don't feel comfortable with it. We live in a society that will sue over hot coffee spilled in a lap (and win!) I don't think I'm going to hang my financial neck out for something that could be much larger stakes.
    4) Finally, members here have devised a system wherein people can disclose problems. In the case of the situation here, the point can be made without ever mentioning a business name. If the name is signficant, a person can simply say, "contact me for the name."

Thanks for bringing it up, Walt.

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast