Thread: engine displacement???

Default engine displacement???

i just bought my first river boat. it is a 16ft Lowe tunnel hull with a 1998 Johnson jet. there are no decals on the engine and i was told it was 30hp by the seller. i just wanted to know if it was 30hp at the power-head or 30hp at the jet?? it says on the engine tag that the engines displacement is 45. so would it be a 50hp power-head with 30 at the jet??? also the model number is j30jreem if that helps anybody out. thanks for your help.

Engine displacement is the volume swept by all the pistons inside the cylinders of an internal combustion engine in a single movement from top dead centre to bottom dead centre.

Based on the Johnson model number "j30jrem", it is a j=Johnson, 30=30hp, j=jet. Just based on the model number you provided, it should be a 30hp Johnson but I can't say for sure whether they tagged them with the hp at the head or jet since they knew it was a jet unit.??

Outboards that are bought new with jets are marked with the jet hp, not the powerhead. I had a honda 65 jet, which was actually a 90 hp.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

What you have there is a 40/30 jet.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. I was getting worried that I wouldn't have enough power to push my boat and gear. But with a 30hp at the jet I should be okay. I'm taking her out tomorrow on the knik to see how it rides.