Thread: Looking for suggestions on lodge/guide/flyin service for end of July.

Default Looking for suggestions on lodge/guide/flyin service for end of July.

Hi everyone,
    I love the forum and it was a god send to me last year when I got stationed in Alaska and wanted to get out fishing. From gear to tackle I got set up and caught some halibut and reds in seward, some pinks and chums on after work runs down to bird creek and even caught a few decent sized kings all from shore fishing on tips and advice I picked up on the forum.

So I'm coming back for more advice or suggestions and any positive experiences you might have had. I'm coming back from deployment on R&R around the middle/end of July and was hoping to get some fishing in. The hits and misses of shore fishing isn't going to cut it this time. I was hoping to find a guide/lodge/fly-in for the end of July. I'm up for any and all salmon/trout/dolly just want some place that doesn't have a million people around. I just want to fish and enjoy some peace, quiet, and solitude in alaska. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

p.s.- a military discount is a plus

Quote Originally Posted by clavalla View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I love the forum and it was a god send to me last year when I got stationed in Alaska and wanted to get out fishing. From gear to tackle I got set up and caught some halibut and reds in seward, some pinks and chums on after work runs down to bird creek and even caught a few decent sized kings all from shore fishing on tips and advice I picked up on the forum.

So I'm coming back for more advice or suggestions and any positive experiences you might have had. I'm coming back from deployment on R&R around the middle/end of July and was hoping to get some fishing in. The hits and misses of shore fishing isn't going to cut it this time. I was hoping to find a guide/lodge/fly-in for the end of July. I'm up for any and all salmon/trout/dolly just want some place that doesn't have a million people around. I just want to fish and enjoy some peace, quiet, and solitude in alaska. Thanks for any suggestions you have.

p.s.- a military discount is a plus
    If you want to get into some fantastic fly-in rainbow fishing I would suggest the Illiamna area. In fact my son helped at a lodge his buddy's family owns. I'll try and get some info....
    Oh and thanks so much for your service...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you want to get into some fantastic fly-in rainbow fishing I would suggest the Illiamna area. In fact my son helped at a lodge his buddy's family owns. I'll try and get some info....
    Oh and thanks so much for your service...!!!
    I've never fly fished before, but I would be willing to try. Another option I would think about is 5-7 day float trips. I know this leaves a lot of places open, but thats why I'm asking. I've found many places online, but alot of them are on the kenai or kasilof and I imagine that those rivers can be a frenzy. I'm not looking for trophies, just quality fishing. So anyone with good experiences that fit this bill please let me know.

highadventureair.com

Quote Originally Posted by fishkill1 View Post
    highadventureair.com
    Thanks, I checked out their site and they don't offer any fishing packages the last two weeks of July unfortunately. The float trip looked like it would have been right up my alley too.

Quote Originally Posted by clavalla View Post
    I've never fly fished before, but I would be willing to try. Another option I would think about is 5-7 day float trips. I know this leaves a lot of places open, but thats why I'm asking. I've found many places online, but alot of them are on the kenai or kasilof and I imagine that those rivers can be a frenzy. I'm not looking for trophies, just quality fishing. So anyone with good experiences that fit this bill please let me know.
    No I didn't mean "fly" as in fly fishing....unless of course you want to, I meant fly IN, as in fly into the place you want to fish.....lol. Fly in fishing is THE premier way to fish Alaska for sure. I just got off the phone with my son. You might want to give these folks a call: http://guthslodge.com/ The kid on the homepage with the rod in his mouth is my son's friend. A good kid for sure.

Illiamna Lake and it's tributaries, the Newhalen, etc... are renowned for their trophy rainbow fishing. I still have a newspaper clipping of a picture of a 27 pound rainbow that came out of this area. Needless to say, the fishing can be phenomenal...!!!

Good Luck...!!!

Here is a link to some of the lodges that sponser this sight..

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/directory/lodgfish.htm