Thread: Shotgun Cove ?

Default Shotgun Cove ?

Could not find much in the archives .Was reading the cruising guide looking for someplace close to Whittier to anchor for the night how is Shotgun cove ? Since this is our first trip and only plan on spending 1 night this time. Sounds like a bunch of snags over by the Eastern anchorage by the buoy anybody recommend someplace

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Could not find much in the archives .Was reading the cruising guide looking for someplace close to Whittier to anchor for the night how is Shotgun cove ? Since this is our first trip and only plan on spending 1 night this time. Sounds like a bunch of snags over by the Eastern anchorage by the buoy anybody recommend someplace

Thanks
    You could try Surprise Cove or Applegate Island. They are less than an hour out of Whittier for most boats.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I agree that Surprise is a great, close anchorage. Ziegler Cove in Pigot is also a good one. You can also anchor at the head of Pigot. IF you want to go just a bit further, you can head up into College and anchor in one of the many coves along the west side. Or head past Surprise Cove and into Cochrane. There are several nice anchorages there. If you choose to head across Port sWells, Culross Passage has some great spots as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Anyone seen any of the coves ice over overnight (or still iced over from this winter) now?

I have spent the night in the back of blackstone bay a couple of times as well. You have to get past the shallow water to get back in there but if you have a plotter you will see it. Go to the right of the island, go over the morranie and look at the island. You will see a little area nook that you can anchor in. Set the anchor in 60-80 ft and you will be fine. I will say the one time I was there and the weather came up I got rocked and rolled all night and it sucked, but if the weather forecast is good you should be fine. I like it back there as it is close to my shrimp pots and I can run back and check them every 8-9 hours.

The back of cochrane is nice too, not sure how 3 fingers cove is as far as ice but its currently on the top of my list as good places to spend the night. I have been in the right hand finger and the left hand finger, both have good anchorages, but watch the right hand one, it gets real shallow fast toward the back.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks everyone, Will see where we end up. Going to try our first shrimp pots drop somewhere also Anybody else headed out Monday ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If ya head into Blackstone and want to spend the night, there is a great little cove (sort of) on the East side of the island that is good too. We anchored up there this weekend in 25' of water and it was great. Plus it's just before the morraine so you don't have to wory about getting thru it.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I never found a decent hook in Shotgun despite 200' of chain and a 21kg Bruce. It's also named Shotgun for a reason so unless the Wx is very settled, I wouldn't stay there overnight. The other anchorages mentioned are much better.

I pulled into Shotgun for the night once, got their right at dark. Drug the anchor a few times but wasn't satisfied with the bite. Wound up tying to the buoy for the night. I wouldn't recommend it as a first choice in anchorages, but at first light there were a few other boats in there up closer to the beach so it has been done.
    Several great places in Cochrane bay you can get into to hide from the weather, just explore them first in the daylight.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.