Thread: Talachulitna in late June

Default Talachulitna in late June

Wanna run the Talkeetna Canyon in late June, but have heard some disconcerting sweeper/strainer recon. My fallback is the Tal. Anyone run the Tal from Judd Lake down last season that could comment on any noteworthy issues with the creek or river. I know about the skinny water issues the creek can have, looking for some 2011 trip reports if there are any to be shared. Can't wait to hit the water................ Take care, abel6wt

I ran it last year the first week of July. Had to do some dragging and it took two full days to get from Judd to the confluence. That 18 miles took a while. We had to unload the raft about 4-5 times and carry stuff 20-40 yards before we loaded it again because of log jams. Not a big deal. It's worth it in the end.

cody, wow, 4-5 full unloads and portages, just on the creek, and it was still worth it? you are a tuff sob. how many days total was your trip? any highlights/lowlights(besides the log jams and dragging)? how was the fishing? i have 5 full days allotted, starting to think I may have to add a day to that plan. whatchathink? thanks for the reply. take care, abel6wt

Abel,
    This will be our 6th year in a row floating the Tal. I have been on both ends of the spectrum, from taking my raft on a 18 mile walk out of the lake to high water. I prefer the low water years. It makes the rafting more difficult, but the trout fishing is much better when you can sight fish. It can get a little "busy" during the peak of king season, with seeing 4 or 5 other groups per day. The log jams didn't seem to bad last year, but we went mid June and had higher water. One part I love about the Talachulitna is that it is like floating a different river each day, you have small creek, canyons, swampwater, class 3.

thanks for the reply clg. i sent u a pm. take care, abel6wt