Thread: How do fatbikes do on muskeg in summer?

Default How do fatbikes do on muskeg in summer?

Particularly on the southern KP?

I'm looking at biting the bullet and doubling my budget for a first mtnb, and considering the Surly Pugsley. I'm hoping that I don't later want fatter than 3.8", but $1600 for a Pugs is already WAY over what I wanted to spend. (I also want new and warranty).

Assuming that the bikes to well on muskeg, do you think that fatter than 3.8 (like a 4.5 Moonlander) will make that much of a difference in the swamps? A make or break deal? (I'm 225 lbs).

I have not ridden any fatbikes. I have ridden many miles. The idea of a bike on the muskeg sounds horribly difficult. Get the fattest tires possible and expect to push. Try driving a four wheeler across muskeg and see how much more gas it takes.

If you are on a budget, rent/borrow a bike and try it. The fat bikes are super cool and have their place, but I don't think muskeg is it.

Very good suggestion about renting/borrowing first and testing it on similar terrain. I know there are a good number of people down in Homer who have fat bikes and you might talk one into letting you try it out. I have done a good amount of fat bike riding but can't tell you how it would work on that kind of surface. I definitely wouldn't fork over the cast until I knew it worked.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/act...ng-722131.html

I've done the actual ground pressure thing, and I think a regular fat bike would work well at times and in places (dry days and partially or fully frozen days or even good patches) but think the Moonlander would be your only guarantee to staying on the bike the whole time. I know a guy in Petersburg rides a Pugsley and rumor has it rides a bit of muskeg. Still waiting to see it though and judge for myself.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably just stick with a pugsley (or equivalent).

My purpose for getting a mtb is to get to and from my cabin, as well as getting around the neighborhood at my cabin... I have 2 atv's as well as a yamaha rhino, but I'm getting tired of the hassle of loading up and trailering everything, when I don't need to haul anything. The muskeg option would be great, since it cuts the ride down to 4 miles vs 9 on a wheeler trail. However, I will always have the option of taking the trail when the conditions are wet. Doing as much research as possible, I can't really justify spending an extra $900 on a moonlander right now unless there were some VERY convincing arguments (which I'm not getting right now-neither here, nor other forums). Having seen how Pugleys (and other 3.7/8's) work in the snow, I think it may be the "one bike does most" for me.

When I get back from Afghanistan, I'll try some LBS's to see if there are any good deals on some more local designs similar to the Pugs.

Surly just released the "Bud & Lou". A new set of 26 x 4.8" tires for the Moonlander, (will fit a select few other frames) but, NOT the Pugsley.

Bud is better for steering and designed to be a front tire, while Lou is made for maximum traction on the rear. They look knobbier than a Nate tire, and larger than the original Big Fat Larrys that come standard on Moonlanders. If these won't get you across whatever terrain you're riding on, then you'd better get a Mudd-Ox or Argo with tracks!

PS - At first, I thought these tires were named after Abbott & Costello. But, then I saw them displayed with photos of Bud Grant (longtime head coach of the Vikings) and Lou Grant (character from the old Mary Tyler Moore show, set in Minneapolis). Surly Bikes are headquartered in Bloomington, a suburb of M-St Paul. These tires are often mounted on 100mm (4") wide rims, called Clownshoes, go figure?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Default How do fatbikes do on muskeg in summer?

Blunosdav, thanks for the response, but too late. I bought a bone stock pugs and love it.

Riding across the swamp in any bike IMO is just not gonna happen for any lengths of time. However, on the longer meandering trail, the pugs does great, actually a little faster than the wheeler.

Now of course, we've had frozen swamps and little snow, so the Ford F-150 with the Pugs in the back does the whole trip.

Note: even mudd oxs and Argos get beat up in this area
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ