Thread: PWS Rockfish, fairly close?

Default PWS Rockfish, fairly close?

Ok... here goes... any decent or sizeable rockfish (yelloweye?) holes in/around Cochrane/Blackstone/Culross? I might be interested in Knight Island, altho will take a good water day...

I found one near Mink Island by the south end of Culross, in 400ft... but I have not had a lot of time to prospect around. I have family coming next week that would really enjoy the fishing. I'm gonna do some serious forum searching, but any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have Halibut holes in Homer to trade...?)

Thanks... I know family would really appreciate it, and since I've been tasked with family entertainment...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Saw you run thru Blackstone on Friday. I'll send ya a PM on a spot I use for Yellow Eye close in.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I've had much better results out towards Knight.

I'm sure there are some spots closer in, I just haven't spent the time to prospect them. The key is steep rocky cliffs or pinnacles with some current going past them in ~250-350' of water.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for all the replies/PM's. We're leaving in the morning to make the 10:30 tunnel. With any luck we'll rockfish out! I even have the entire party sold on a run into Whittier for a refuel so that we can really range around and check areas out. The weather for the week looks phenomenal! With any luck we'll make the eastern side of knight - I've heard it's the area to be.

We'll be at the Goose Bay USFS cabin until Saturday afternoon... stop by! Or hail the 'Swissy Baroo' if in the area.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

How is Port Nellie and the associated bays? We're heading to the south end of Port Nellie next weekend. Are we in good territory for yelloweye at all? Also, what is the general strategy for rockfish?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I've found some small rockfish off the S end of Culross, and have taken some flounder in Nellie Juan. Won't say there are no fish down there, but will say I've spent enough time to figure out it's not my favorite area to fish. It seems like most of the bottom down there is mud and silt, not rock.

It's one of my favorite spots to spend a long weekend, but it's not a fishing destination. Shrimping down there isn't too bad.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.