Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Deep creek opener?

  1. #1
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Deep creek opener?

    Was planning on hitting the peninsula for the opener this season deep creek or anchor or something along those lines around the 15th and 16th of May. Is there any pointers one could give me? How is camping down there? Tent and sleeping bag type camping.

    Thanks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  2. #2

    Default

    Camping at the anchor is great, nice spaces gorgeous views going from the bridge quite a ways towards the mouth. Deep Creek is beach camping only if I remember correctly? We only did it once at deep when I was younger in tents in May and the wind was blowing 20-40 knots all night, wasn't the most fun.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Deep Creek doesn't open until May 26 and Anchor on May 19.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

  4. #4
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post
    Deep Creek doesn't open until May 26 and Anchor on May 19.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

    Well dang. Havent picked up my reg book yet. Now I need somewhere else to camp and fish those days.

    Any suggestions?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  5. #5

    Default

    Try Kasilof

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer, ak
    Posts
    473

    Default

    I think I'm gonna hit the Kasilof that weekend.

  7. #7
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Try Kasilof
    I think that is the way I am leaning. Probably take the kayak and tent out there and do it to it for a few days. Kings should be in at that time right?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  8. #8
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I think that is the way I am leaning. Probably take the kayak and tent out there and do it to it for a few days. Kings should be in at that time right?
    I am not an expert, but from the research I have done the Kings aren't really in on the Kasilof until around the beginning of June.

  9. #9
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    I am not an expert, but from the research I have done the Kings aren't really in on the Kasilof until around the beginning of June.
    Ive heard they start trickling in earlier. Hoping anyway. Maybe someone that fishes down that way will have a little more insight.
    I know on the Kenai they have been caught before June.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  10. #10
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Either way, good luck man. I will be in the area towards the end of May. If they are in around that time that would be a great excuse to stay a couple of extra days!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I think that is the way I am leaning. Probably take the kayak and tent out there and do it to it for a few days. Kings should be in at that time right?
    Should be some kings trickling in. I've landed some as early mid May but that was on a chartered drift boat. All of our hook ups were from the Peoples Hole down to the tidewater. Last year, I released 2 wild hens during the 3rd week of May (hatchery day only) and hooked into a few reds too.

  12. #12
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    All the yrs I have fished down on the Kasilof, we started fishing by about the 20th of April. Some yrs off 3 ft sheets of ice. Steelies will be around and there was almost ALWAYS a king caught by May first. Out of like...10 yrs, I think once it was the 2nd or 3rd of May before the first one was caught. That said, they definitely are not in thick at that time. But its nice to know you may be one of the lucky ones. It just picks up from there. By June the kings are around.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  13. #13
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    All the yrs I have fished down on the Kasilof, we started fishing by about the 20th of April. Some yrs off 3 ft sheets of ice. Steelies will be around and there was almost ALWAYS a king caught by May first. Out of like...10 yrs, I think once it was the 2nd or 3rd of May before the first one was caught. That said, they definitely are not in thick at that time. But its nice to know you may be one of the lucky ones. It just picks up from there. By June the kings are around.
    A chance is all I need if the fish are in there I dont mind spending time on the water looking for em. Just dont wanna be casting to nothing when I could be chasing em somewhere else. Im still looking for options to fish those few days and Kasilof is going on the list. I want to make my trips down to the peninsula worth it this year since gas is gonna be 6 dollars a gallon before summer ends.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  14. #14
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    All the yrs I have fished down on the Kasilof, we started fishing by about the 20th of April. Some yrs off 3 ft sheets of ice. Steelies will be around and there was almost ALWAYS a king caught by May first. Out of like...10 yrs, I think once it was the 2nd or 3rd of May before the first one was caught. That said, they definitely are not in thick at that time. But its nice to know you may be one of the lucky ones. It just picks up from there. By June the kings are around.
    Exactly.....you can bet there are kings in there as we speak. Catch-able numbers?...not really, but die-hards will catch one or two anytime now. The peak is usually around the 3rd week of June.

  15. #15
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Exactly.....you can bet there are kings in there as we speak. Catch-able numbers?...not really, but die-hards will catch one or two anytime now. The peak is usually around the 3rd week of June.
    Ive already got camping and fishing booked down there for the 3rd week of June. Just need my fix before that!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •