Thread: Valdez or Cordova Butts & Lings?

Default Valdez or Cordova Butts & Lings?

If you were looking for a charter while in Valdez and Cordova, last week of August, 1st week of September where would you choose? On average who has more consistency in getting out later in the year, average size of halibut and good abundance of Ling? Price and equipment all being equal.
    Looking at booking a combo road trip, fishing Allison Point in Valdez. Then getting the ferry over to Cordova, to fish the streams for coho. Anyone ever done this trip?

Just thought I'd bump this this up, lots of looks but no replies. I understand that there have been a lot of Valdez charter that have gone out of business but thought there would be some opinions of which place is better.
    Is the trip out of Cordova any shorter than the typical 3 hr ride from Valdez? Any charters you would recommend?

You should just book one more day in Homer with Manns! I don't know of any great charters out of Cordova. The last week of August is GUN time

Not a lot of charters out of Cordova. There is at least the Orca Lodge and one other guy. I can't think of any others there. I think you'd have more variety of options out of Valdez. The silver fishing in the freshwater can be epic in September though, as for halibut, I'd stick with Valdez, even if it is a longer boat ride.

I would imagine you've already done this, but if you do a Google search for "cordova fishing charters" you'll get a number of different hits from that. Since no one is giving you any good information on who to use or not to use I'd just call them and talk to them. You can usually tell who's going to be a good fit for you by talking fishing with them. Just a thought.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you are willing to go to Cordova, you might think about Yakutat. I have never been there, but have heard it is somewhat of a hidden gem when it comes to Halibut fishing, not sure about the lingcod though.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Its on my list for some point. Just can't easily combine with a road trip.
    My Kasilof guide for this year is currently fishing steelhead, so was hoping to get some pointers from him on my visit. I usually camp but heard Yakutat can be somewhat tricky in dealing with the bears in the fall. Was told that I need bear fence when camping out at 9 mile.

I have only seen a couple of charters out of Cordova. Most of the time in the Gulf of Alaska Valdez and Cordova fish the same area's. Cordova is closer by at least an hour.

Hey Col.,

Don't forget that the weather become a bit more sketchy in September. You might have a charter booked that doesn't go out to fish due to poor conditions.
    End of May, June and July always seem a bit better on average.

IceKing02

I would highly suggest comming to Yakutat. Good charter fishermen here, great halibut and Ling fishing, epic silvers in the salt and freshwater. You might have a tough time finding accomodations here, start looking ASAP for a charter and accomodations if need be. No boat rides over 45 mins. Big fish and plenty of them