Thread: Tips for Crossing Border with UHaul?

Default Tips for Crossing Border with UHaul?

Hello All,

I am finally getting around to bringing up the lions share of my household belongings after living in AK for almost 4 years. The plan is to empty the storage unit into a rented UHaul truck and drive up during early summer after graduation. Knowing that lots of people have done this same or similar things, are there any specific things to do to make crossing the Canada (from Montana), then the US (from the Yukon) borders easier and more efficient?

No firearms will be transported (they are already here), housing items and carpentry related tools only. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Make a list of everything in the trailer, if something is relatively new have a receipt for it, when you get to the border, give the list to the border guard, tell him how long you will be in Canada, where you are going and why. He should look you in the face, and say have a nice drive, NEXT.

Find a I Love Canada hat to wear.

Dont act shady. Have all paperwork in a binder ready to go. Passports, licenses, insurance, any papers for a dog.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Tobacco, alcohol, firearms, and animals are the usual sticky wickets; don't haul any of these and you should be fine. Have your ducks in a row as soon as you pull into line-D.L., registration or rental paperwork, passport. If you've never entered Canada before there is a good chance they'll make you park and go inside to talk with someone, but it's usually pretty quick. I've never had any kind of problem at the Alaska crossing, going either way; it's always just a wave-through. Take your time and enjoy western Canada- it's just as amazing as Alaska!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I numbered each box and then did a spreadsheet of the contents of each box. That way, if they had any questions I could easily locate the correct box.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of making a list of all of the belongings, which I will probably now do. No dog this time, and I will make sure to have all of my documents in order in a binder as suggested. Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Jay
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

It depends on the thugs at the border. Sometimes they are great, sometimes not. No real difference between US and Canada. My mom goes on RV trips all over the Northwest and has never been stopped, only waved through on both sides of the border. One of my younger brothers has been stopped twice and had his car completely dismantled. Once in Haines in the winter and once in B.C. when he and his then-new wife were getting off the ferry for their honeymoon. That car was a rental, Hertz was pissed he said. He won't go anywhere near Canada.
    Another buddy I knew in Anchorage had been across the border several times; waved through. The time he and his dad went up to float the Yukon, a female Canadian border thug made them completely unpack everything in their pickup truck, in the rain, while haranguing them about "all things bad American". Once they has all their possessions laid out, soaking wet, she told them they could continue on. They packed their stuff up and headed back into America.
    It just depends. The advice on having all the boxes numbered and inventoried is good, but that won't mean much if you get a bad set of thugs.
    Most people just breeze through, some just don't have a chance.

P.S. Each and every time you stop, if you step away from your rig, quickly check the lugnuts on all wheels. Knew a fellow who was coming up just like you, wife in the Airforce, they stopped for a bite to eat, about 2 miles down the road a wheel fell off. All the lugnuts were loose on the trailer and two rear wheels of his pickup. Locals along the highway think it's funny.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...