Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite jigging rods and reels

Default Favorite jigging rods and reels

I think we discussed this last year, but figured I'd start anew and see if anybody had a favorite from last year, or something they're trying new this year.

I think I've found the nearly perfect combo for me, a Shimano Trevala XX-heavy 5'8" rod with a avet jx reel spooled with daiwa dendo PE-4 (55#) braid. The rod has great action with 10-16 oz jigs. It'll handle lighter and heavier jigs, but the 10-16's seem to be it's sweet spot. The jx is nice light 20 oz reel and can hold more than enough line, I have over 300yds of line and still needed backing to build up the spool. My only minor beef is the 15# strike, 20# max drag is a bit less than I'd prefer, 20# strike 25# max would be perfect, but then I'd need to go to PE-5 line and a more expensive and possibly heavier reel.

I got my wife the little sister to my rod, an X-heavy trevala with an old style sx reel. It works better with jigs down to 6 oz, but seems to get over loaded when you use anything past 12 oz.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm still using the 5' (or possibly 5'6"---I can't recall offhand) Tica Alaskan Big Game rods with Penn 320GTi reels spooled up with 80 lb. Power Pro braid. I have never used Tica rods before, but I was perusing the rods they had on display at Ulmers one day and came across them. They are relatively inexpensive rods (I think I paid $99 each for them and, BTW, Tica is having a closeout on them right now on their website) and they have great action for jigging and can easily handle any butt I've ever pulled into the boat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Gonna try this sweet set-up this year, like Paul, I too, love those shimano Trevala Butterfly Jigging rods, in the XX Heavy (80-200) 5'8" topped with a nice Accurate BX-500 Boss reel runnin' 80# Braided.

Got a Trevala XXH myself, only mated with an Okuma Makaria 2 speed and PowerPro 80#
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I'm just curious if any out there ever uses Tica products? I am not trying to promote them, despite the fact that I love the rods I use, but in all these polls we've done on the subject I don't recall anyone ever using them---rods or reels. They have some great looking products that sure look good on paper, but they don't seem very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm just curious if any out there ever uses Tica products? I am not trying to promote them, despite the fact that I love the rods I use, but in all these polls we've done on the subject I don't recall anyone ever using them---rods or reels. They have some great looking products that sure look good on paper, but they don't seem very popular.
    Where do you find them at? I can't recall ever seeing any Tica rods and I have been to a lot of places this spring looking at rods in particular?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Where do you find them at? I can't recall ever seeing any Tica rods and I have been to a lot of places this spring looking at rods in particular?
    I just stumbled upon them at Ulmer's here in Homer. I was just looking through their selection of butt rods one day and saw them there and I just really liked their action. I bought one and tried it out and I liked it so much I went back and bought 4 more to outfit my boat. That was all they had at the time (two years ago), so I called the rep to see if I could buy them and some of their other products at the professional pricing and they wanted to put me through so many hoops to do it that it didn't seem worth all the effort. And then when I told him that Tica doesn't really have much of a presence in AK as far as I could perceive he didn't seem at all phased by that. I'm not sure why I'm promoting them when they don't want to help me out (like most manufacturers seem to want to do), but take a look at their website: http://www.ticaamerica.com/. They have some really good looking gear, but it sure seems as though no one knows about it.

I have a couple of TICA SS458 SeaSpirit reels that I use for bottomfish jigging. I have looked at their rods online a few times but haven't given them a try. I have had a few problems with the reels (like knobs on the handles wearing out and trying to fall off, and a level-wind breakdown) but they were fixed w/o cost when I sent them south for an overhaul to their repair facility. I liked that these reels had a 4.2:1 retrieve ratio, were star-drag which I prefer, and seemed to do just fine when we have hooked 100+ sized halibut. I have tried them on downrigger salmon rods for Coho and I thought they earned a passing grade in that capacity as well.

I bought a couple of those same rods last year or the year prior at the Sportsman's Show. I have 330GT on them. I generally fish with other rods, hand the Ticas to my friends, but they all seem to like them. I think they were a very good value.

That being said, my favorite setup for halibut jigging is my 7-1/2' Daiwa Interline with Avet LX 6.0. I also have the Trevala with LX 4.6 for lings/rockfish, though they would work fine for buts too. Love 'em all, as long as I'm jigging!
    Last edited by Mort; 04-23-2012 at 12:01. Reason: additional thoughts

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Is anyone using Okuma Cedros rods? I was looking at them this weekend and noticed that while they appear to have plenty of backbone as it relates to line weight, the action itself seemed awfully soft. I was looking at a 6'6" Cedros X-Heavy (rated for 80-200 lb line).

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Is anyone using Okuma Cedros rods? I was looking at them this weekend and noticed that while they appear to have plenty of backbone as it relates to line weight, the action itself seemed awfully soft. I was looking at a 6'6" Cedros X-Heavy (rated for 80-200 lb line).
    I have a Cedros, and I do like it. I think of it as a combo rod, meaning it serves as a jigging rod and can also soak bait with it, eventually I want to phase out my heavy duty rods and get a couple more. For pure jigging though, I prefer the Trevala over the Cedros.

You'll probably hear from AKCAPT on this. If I remember from a thread a while back that he fishes Cedros rods and, if I remember correctly, actually works with Okuma to help develop them. I think Cliffhanger uses them, too.

I've never used them, but I think if I were going to replace my Tica Alaskans I'd go the Cedros route. I've checked them out at the Gear Shed and I love the action on them. They feel quite similar to my Tica's.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You'll probably hear from AKCAPT on this. If I remember from a thread a while back that he fishes Cedros rods and, if I remember correctly, actually works with Okuma to help develop them. I think Cliffhanger uses them, too.

I've never used them, but I think if I were going to replace my Tica Alaskans I'd go the Cedros route. I've checked them out at the Gear Shed and I love the action on them. They feel quite similar to my Tica's.
    Roger that. Wonder why they went with that funky rear grip. I was a little concerned about the exposed blank, wondered if it would hold up to sitting in the rocket launcher without damaging it too bad over time.

Roger that. Wonder why they went with that funky rear grip. I was a little concerned about the exposed blank, wondered if it would hold up to sitting in the rocket launcher without damaging it too bad over time.
    I like the skinny grip. Mine has held up for 3 seasons, no damage.

Last summer I had an okuma cedros as I recall the 5'-6" xxh. In comparison to the Trevala 5'-8" XXH, I found the cedros was stiffer with lighter jigs 8-10oz, and conversly limper with the heavier jigs 16 oz+ also the cedros doesn't feel as sensitive as the trevala. For the money the cedros is a good solid rod, but for a couple extra bucks IMHO the trevala is a better rod, and I like rods with gimbles to use with a fighting belt. Jigging is very personal, so take my commnets with a grain of salt, I'm sure there are those who prefer the cedros over the trevala.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The wife and I each got an Okuma Cedros rod a few years ago. I've got an Avet HX/2 reel and the wife has a Diawa Seaborg reel. We love them. Last year, my son begged for a Cedros Rod as well so we got him one also. Great sensitive rod with a great spine. To say the least, we are very pleased with them and they are very light and look great as well. We fish with everything from light 5 oz jigs to halibut with up to a 3 pound weight. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I like rods with gimbles to use with a fighting belt.
    That's a really good point. I use my Ticas for both jigging and soaking bait and it sure is nice being able to strap a fighting belt on to fight bigger fish. I take a lot of clients out that just don't have the strength and stamina to fight a bigger halibut to the boat and having a gimble is a big plus.

Charterboat Operator

I tried The Cedros when they first came out, picked up a few from the gear shed, they were fine for stand up fishing, jigging n such, however any one who has used them knows they do not have a gimble, or a butt on the end made to keep the reel upright in the rod holder or upright in most rod belt's other then those old leather ones, I just hate it when the reel spin's around in the rod holder, there are alot of captains who will not let there clients put the rod in the holder and that's your deal, when we have big baits out we leave them in the holders until they get bit of course. That's my *****.... Other then that they were a hit on the boat.

That's a really good point. I use my Ticas for both jigging and soaking bait and it sure is nice being able to strap a fighting belt on to fight bigger fish. I take a lot of clients out that just don't have the strength and stamina to fight a bigger halibut to the boat and having a gimble is a big plus.
    The 80-200 version of the Okuma Cedros has the gimble and a cap over it. The idea behind the blank grip area is for speed jigging...reduces wear on your armpit when used corectly.

I`ve owned 3 versions...50-100, 65-150, and the 80-200. I`ve been fishing with the 65-150 hard for the last 3 years and it has been great...no signs of wear. I have seen no wear from riding in the launchers on my buddies boat but I think it`s due to them being just the right length.

Ultimately for the price there isn`t too many rods out there that compare in price, quality, or the ease of warranty. B&J`s will take them back no questions asked and send you home with a new one.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    I tried The Cedros when they first came out, picked up a few from the gear shed, they were fine for stand up fishing, jigging n such, however any one who has used them knows they do not have a gimble, or a butt on the end made to keep the reel upright in the rod holder or upright in most rod belt's other then those old leather ones, I just hate it when the reel spin's around in the rod holder. That's my *****.... Other then that they were a hit on the boat.
    Read my last post about the gimble.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast