Thread: Bears with a bow

Default Bears with a bow

Ok, never shot a bow in my life till last night. My uncle gave me an older Darton and I decided to pull it out after splitting wood last night. Now I've never, ever shot a bow in my life, let alone had someone show me but I got an idea on the basics. Started at 10yds, the sights were low and to the left but it was consitent. So I got to adjust them tonight. I figured that's a good thing, I must be doing something right. Never missed till I got out to a little over 30yds. So how close are you bow hunters getting on black bears on average? I'm hoping if I can keep practicing and get confident out to 30 yds I might take it with me at the end of May.

I have no idea what poundage it's shooting, but I know my friend that has no problem with a 28" draw and 55lbs can;t pull mine back at all. I regret using teh barn as a backstop. The one that missed, well it's buried far enough thru the wall that I can't get it out

20 yards and closer is the normal shot distance over bait. Not many bears get killed by bow in spot and stalk situations, but it does happen. Remember that if you hunt bears over bait with a bow you are required to have an archery certification card. Where are you planning to hunt black bears?

We do have a bowhunting section on this forum and you can use that to effectively ask questions. I wouldn't doubt this thread will get moved there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm heading up to the Kenai area 3rd wek of May, no bait. I can't sit in a tree stand, probably why I hate whitetail hunting

It certainly is a good idea to take the course and get your archery certification. Unless the regs have changed it is only required in units 7 and 14-16 for baiting bears. Still a good idea to take the course, especially if new to bowhunting.

Oh, I'll be taking the course this summer probably. My neighbor is a guide and course instructor here on kodiak. But only thing I see me needing it regulation wise is if I try and do road ssytem goat hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So how close are you bow hunters getting on black bears on average?
    Congratís on your acquisition. Took a little digging but found your question.

I havenít taken a bear but have taken other game (including critters with a bow) but am considering trying for a bear with the stand about 30 yards from the baits. Any closer ... may go with the bow, a pistol, or rifle, depending on the setup, and whoís with me.

Yep. Doesn't take much to start putting holes in paper. Takes a bit more effort (or the effort you put forth will help) to work out the nuances/mechanics ... quiver, sight, arrow flight with broadheads, bow sling, handgun holster, hunting clothing, bug repellent, shooting positions, and the range finder at the moment of "buck fever".

An archery store would probably check the poundage for you.

I'm sure the Cy's can check the poundage for you.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Most black bears I've killed, which were all over bait, were from 10-25yards. Spot and stalk bear, could be quite a challenge but if you play it right you can get one within range. But the main thing for you to do now is practice, practice, practice, and more practice. There's more to bowhunting than just being accurate though, one thing some have trouble with is waiting for the right shot. That is the hardest thing(was for me) to over come as a bowhunter, patience. Which often means missed opportunities on an animal but it is much better than the anguish of wounding an animal.

Patiance, Practice, Persistence - keep those in mind when becoming a bowhunter

For your draw weight you can use a fish scale or a bathroom scale. Bathroom scale may be a bit tricky as you don't want the board to slide out but here is what you do. Get about a 3 foot or so 2x4 and place it standing up on the scale. Place the bowstring on top of the board and pull the bow down against the board and scale. Watch the scale and as you push down and you'll see the draw weight. Helps to have an extra set of hands.

I knew a guy that was so good at hunting bears he would had them walk right by him and never knew he was there. He took me hunting once and a bear walked right to us before I shot it at 20 feet.

Another guy who is a well know bow hunter, has has taken several sheep, and bears with a bow along the road system. If you want to take a bear by stalking then do it....... it will not be easy that does not mean it's not impossible.

I'm sure the Cy's can check the poundage for you
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think I heard they closed down.

Ok, never shot a bow in my life till last night. My uncle gave me an older Darton and I decided to pull it out after splitting wood last night. Now I've never, ever shot a bow in my life, let alone had someone show me but I got an idea on the basics. Started at 10yds, the sights were low and to the left but it was consitent. So I got to adjust them tonight. I figured that's a good thing, I must be doing something right. Never missed till I got out to a little over 30yds. So how close are you bow hunters getting on black bears on average? I'm hoping if I can keep practicing and get confident out to 30 yds I might take it with me at the end of May.

I have no idea what poundage it's shooting, but I know my friend that has no problem with a 28" draw and 55lbs can;t pull mine back at all. I regret using teh barn as a backstop. The one that missed, well it's buried far enough thru the wall that I can't get it out

Ok so first the equipment question..yes as pointed out there are several methods using scales.What kind of Darton is it,is there any markings on it for draw and poundage.Another way is if you know what poundage it came at max you can cometimes figure it out by limb bolt turns..meaning if the bow is 55-70 and the limbs are cranked all the way in then its at 70. each manufacture is different as well as older bows are different but a lot of newer bows each turn that you loosten on the limb bolts is in the neighborhood of 2.5 pounds.NEVER loosen them too much...best to let a pro shop do this if you are unsure.

Ahh the how far can I shoot question,,well I am sure there are a thousand legitimate answers to this question out there..lol A lot have given good examples of what they shoot at.The truth is you need to find your comfort zone with HUNTING equipment.Broadheads and fieldpoints do not always shoot in the same spot period....you need to shoot and practice with the real deal broadheads...does not matter whether expandables or not. We did some experiments before with expandables and I was amazed how many did not hit the mark or even close for that matter. A lot do shoot the same as field points but not all.Its only fair to the animals that you give them the decencey of practicing correctly. When you practice you want to make sure you are not reinforcing bad habbits as that will simply result in a bad day.Not sure of pro shops down there but the best way to learn is from someone who has good practice habbits.If noone there, read some books on proper form and try to follow and in the end it will make you a better archer and allow you to extend you comfort zone.One last thing to keep in mind every 10 yards in distance magnifies everything from equipment flaws to chances of game hearing the shot or simply taking a step.

CY's didn;t close down, they sold the building to the Brewery. Cy's moved to the Flats next to Russian Creek, directly across from the AC store.

As far as distance, I'd never take an animal farther than I'm comfortable with, same with guns, I'm not in it to prove how far away I can hit a target, that's what ranges are for. I'm really more insterested in shooting recurve, but that'll come later when I have funding. Don't think I'll be taking it come may either way. I ended up in the ER SUnday night and left Monday morning munis my apendix. So I'm down for the week, so no practice till next week.

CY's didn;t close down, they sold the building to the Brewery. Cy's moved to the Flats next to Russian Creek, directly across from the AC store.

As far as distance, I'd never take an animal farther than I'm comfortable with, same with guns, I'm not in it to prove how far away I can hit a target, that's what ranges are for. I'm really more insterested in shooting recurve, but that'll come later when I have funding. Don't think I'll be taking it come may either way. I ended up in the ER SUnday night and left Monday morning munis my apendix. So I'm down for the week, so no practice till next week.
    I was there 2 weeks ago and was told by three different locals that CY's did finally go out of business.
    Fin - N - Tonic

I've shot a fair number of bears over the years, some over bait and some spot and stalk. I really enjoy spot and stalk if I have the opportunity. The hardest part, as others have commented on, is getting the right shot. I've only been able stalk them in early spring, if they are on old logging road or 4-wheeler trail when I catch them eating grass. They are usually so engrossed in the grass that they don't notice me sneaking up. I have been fortunate enough to get fairly close, the longest shot I've taken is 25 yds. Black bear hunting is one of my favorite hunts, I hope you have some luck.