Thread: Just bought my first bow!

Default Just bought my first bow!

Just bought a Diamond Outlaw 70 lb. I am a virgin in regards to bows. Any tips on bowhunts and any tips in general regarding bow marksmanship?

If you get certified, then you can get in on the "archery only" hunts......

Congrats! now join a local archery club and go to the fish and game website and register for a hunter ed class. Have fun and practice. Once you become familar with your bow and equipment then start practicing with your hunting equipment. Use the search option on this forum there's tons of info available.

Quote Originally Posted by normaljean View Post
    Just bought a Diamond Outlaw 70 lb. I am a virgin in regards to bows. Any tips on bowhunts and any tips in general regarding bow marksmanship?
    Congrats..you will find that archery will open a whole new world to you in Alaska as well as the lower48. I would suggest that you join a local club or do a little shooting with some one with good shooting habbits to avoid bad habbits from the get go.Kind of like when you flinch shooting a gun its extremely difficult to break that bad habbit...same with archery bad habbits are hard to break so better to not learn them in the first place.Form is everything in archery.

Thanks guys! I've been out shooting the last couple of days. I'm trying to remember everything Scott, from the archery counter, told me. I will join an archery club and I definitely need to sign up for the certification. Just want to make sure I'm decent with my bow. Don't want to make an idiot of myself.

Practice, practice, practice. Also the number one thing I did when I first started shooting that had the greatest impact on accuracy was learning to anchor my shot in the same place each time. Using a plastic "kisser button" crimped onto the bowstring helps tremendously with this, at least it did for me. Newer bows my come with them installed these days, but if they don't I would look into installing one.

try to learn as much about your bow as possible, how it works. Learn how to tune it, maintain it and repair it. The more you learn about it the better marksman (markswoman?) you will be. Read everything you can about paper tuning, center shot, alignment and what the arrow does once you release the string like how it flexes. Once you know that stuff it will give you a better understanding of what is actually going on when you shoot, which will make you better. Archery is a great sport and I'm sure you will enjoy it. It opens a lot more hunting opportunities, you can shoot right in your backyard (most of the time) and is good family time. Don't just shoot at even increments in yardage. Shoot some at 17yd, 23yd, etc. Animals are not always going to be at the yardage that you set your pins up for, they will be in between. Try to shoot from different positions like kneeling and from a tree stand. It's a bit more difficult for some people to pull the bow back when kneeling and that may be the only opportunity for a shot. If your shooting at an uphill or downhill angle you want to be familiar with those shots because the distance is not what you think. Some people only dust off the archery tackle right before hunting season. Try to shoot year round if you can.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I'd recommend a couple things, in addition to the good advice you've already got here.

1. Hang around some of the ranges, and don't be afraid to ask for help/tips. If you develop poor form and reinforce it with alot of practice, you'll never get the consistency you want and it will be more difficult to correct later.
    1a. When practicing, you will probably get tired after a bit until you build up the specific muscles. Quit your session before you start spraying shots all over - it will just reinforce bad habits and/or hurt your confidence. Like on the golf practice range, always quit on a good one!
    2. This forum is good, but not as active as some others. You can join ArcheryTalk.com and lurk over there too. Lots of politics, lots of opinions, lots of jawjacking. After a little time, you'll be able to spot the BS and agendas from the valid inputs. But there are some great deals on used equipment, if you decide you want to start experimenting, and there is great advice on things like paper tuning, walkback tuning, and broadhead tuning when you get there. If you don't quite "get it," just ask anyone here and we'll find a way to meet with you and help out.
    3. Spend some time shooting dressed in the gear you will hunt in. Gloves, jackets, etc can change things quite a bit. Loose jackets can hit your string.

Welcome to a great new sport!

Where are you located Normaljean?

And again.....practice, practice, and practice some more. Remember you owe it to the animal...

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Where are you located Normaljean?
    I'm in Anchorage-specifically Spenard area.

Thanks again everyone. This is my first experience with a forum. Can't believe how helpful people are being! I'll keep you all updated as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by normaljean View Post
    Thanks again everyone. This is my first experience with a forum. Can't believe how helpful people are being!
    Alaskans are good people....!!!