Thread: As the rich whitetail hunters say on tv "put the smack down on a big ol red fox"

Default Shot a Big Ol fox this morning!!

Cause how ofter do you ever hear of the shoting a small scrawny fox? Seriously though, I like to give "my" animals more respect than that.

so, as SIASL would say, I caught some fur this morning...

Ok here is the stuff you want.

It has gotten into the chickens a couple times over the past few weeks and I almost got it once but it was dark, and I had an open sighted gun, a weak flashlight, and it just didn't work, you know how it is.

So I was sitting on the stove this morning, eating my oatmeal, and I looked out the window and saw a fox trotting out in the far field, so I grabbed dustys -06 (it was sitting by the door along with a 22 and with m past experience with 22's I didn't wan to deal with that again) and opened the door as I ran the bolt and leaned up against the door jam just as it looked up and started to run back to the woods I put the cross hairs on its shoulder (remember this is the first animal other than one rabbit and a squirrel at about 10 yards that I have shot with a scope) and pulled the trigger, I remember thinking "that thing is HUGE" forgetting I was looking at it though a scope on 3 power. I lost it in the recoil but dusty said it went 3 feet in the air and he though there wasnt anything left of it. I was a little dissapointed cause, even though they are out of season and you are supposed to turn them into fish and game, its still a shame to loose hte pelt and meat. well I went up to it after I got my clothes on (I was in my undies and I didn't feel like running out through the snow like that....) and my heart sank when I saw that there was red matter strewn about, but as it turns out the hide is very much salvagable, with just one hole in the right side about the size of my hand (should be able to sew it up....right??) well I was happy that I dont have to be on the lookout everynight for the fox. I was gonna go out and get my mosin (I have FMJ's for that) but it was getting ready to run as I opened the door so I decided it was better to save the chickens than save the hide. (And I dont mean that I dont care for the hide, but the main mission is the livestock, cause thats what I'm shooting it for, Defence of life and property....

ok, now for what you want...

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Nice looking fox!

Supporting Member

Guess his (or her) chicken-eating days are over! So did you skin it and turn it in to ADF&G as a DLP?

Since from what you said I believe it was not in the actual act of trying to get after your chickens but in the " far Field" DLP is going to be a tough one and if you get a hard nosed trooper you may just find yourself getting a ticket for taking a fox out of season. Otherwise nothing would keep a guy with chickens from shooting every fox that walked through his property. I am sure you were just trying to protect your birds but there are some very strict rules on DLP and one is best advised to talk to the local Wildlife Trooper on the specifics when they have a problem like yours.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Since from what you said I believe it was not in the actual act of trying to get after your chickens but in the " far Field" DLP is going to be a tough one and if you get a hard nosed trooper you may just find yourself getting a ticket for taking a fox out of season. Otherwise nothing would keep a guy with chickens from shooting every fox that walked through his property. I am sure you were just trying to protect your birds but there are some very strict rules on DLP and one is best advised to talk to the local Wildlife Trooper on the specifics when they have a problem like yours.
    well, he had killed before recently, like a week bofre, and he was trotting down a trail, and the only place that trail goes is to the chicken door. he wasn't just loping along either, he had his mind set on chicken that was ring out the door as he locked on to it till I opened the door.

As it turns out dad got up for work this morning at 3 and there was one that was just going into the barn, but he couldn't shoot it in time as when he opened the door the dogs ran out and chased it into the woods.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Guess his (or her) chicken-eating days are over! So did you skin it and turn it in to ADF&G as a DLP?
    yeah I did the DLP thing

Nice fox! You have more balls than I do. I wouldn't post anything DLP on here until after I had turned it in and got an OK from the troopers. It doesn't look like he was tore up that bad.

Supporting Member

Sounds like you better concentrate some snaring efforts on those fox trails next year during the season when the fur is prime. Sure beats having to turn them in to ADF&G. I applaud your honesty and integrity in skinning it and turning it in to ADF&G.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    w

As it turns out dad got up for work this morning at 3 and there was one that was just going into the barn, but he couldn't shoot it in time as when he opened the door the dogs ran out and chased it into the woods.
    So it is possible you killed the wrong fox.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it