Thread: Kenai/Russian

Default Kenai/Russian

Hey guys,
    I know that nymphing rigs with stoneflies, prince nymphs, midges, and flesh flies will catch fish on the russian/Kenai around the confluence, but I was curious if anybody has ever had success on a dry fly like a small elk hair caddis or mosquito pattern? I am missing some of the early season dry fly action back home in MT and was curious if the fish down there would be into it!

Also, I am assuming small dirty sock flesh flies may work around the confluence this time of year, but is that a crazy assumption?

Thanks.

Yes, dry fly fishing can be very effective on the Russian. After the initial flesh bite stops after the season opener, the caddis hatch should start. EHCs and parachute Adams' can be very effective. I did very well there last year with dries. Was down at the confluence last weekend and saw tons of stone fly adults and nymphs. Also saw a few caddis adults and also a lot of midge nymphs/adults and some chironomids. No fish spotted or caught. The trout should be making their way up the next few weeks in prep for the spawn though.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Most helpful! Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting out but will likely only make it out the once before the river closes for spawning! Thanks for the info I will let you know how it goes!

me and some friends are heading up tomorrow night and fishing sat. Im hoping it wont be a waste of a trip even if the fish arent there the clams will be.

Ok so just returned from fishing. Camped at lower skilak lake (lake is still frozen) one guy had a drifter with a motor and tried to get through the ice but only made it a couple hundred feet from the ramp. So we hiked in and fished from the sandbars just after the mouth all the way to lower olsen creek and was totally skunked. There were about 10 people on the river besides us and only one guy caught 2 small bows. He said its the worst spring bow fishing he has seen in 20 years. the hike was fairly difficult as well, the river is very low so you spend most of your time trenching through the silt beds made for two very tired fisherman. The wind was blowing which made casting light flys very difficult. Not a waste of a trip cuz we had a good time but def bummed there were no fish to be caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Ok so just returned from fishing. Camped at lower skilak lake (lake is still frozen) one guy had a drifter with a motor and tried to get through the ice but only made it a couple hundred feet from the ramp. So we hiked in and fished from the sandbars just after the mouth all the way to lower olsen creek and was totally skunked. There were about 10 people on the river besides us and only one guy caught 2 small bows. He said its the worst spring bow fishing he has seen in 20 years. the hike was fairly difficult as well, the river is very low so you spend most of your time trenching through the silt beds made for two very tired fisherman. The wind was blowing which made casting light flys very difficult. Not a waste of a trip cuz we had a good time but def bummed there were no fish to be caught.
    Brutal! Thans for the report back.