Thread: How to Keep Scent off Camera

Default How to Keep Scent off Camera

I bought me a new trail cam and metal lock box for bear baiting. Is there anything I can wipe it down with to help keep it from being chewed on? I was playing with it in the back yard and my dog kept going over and sniffing it so if he can smell it then I know ol' blackie might want a taste. I read about wearing latex gloves while retrieving the SD card, but what do you do before that? Some kind of cleaner or bleach? Does anyone have any tips so I won't be hanging a new chew toy here in a few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    I bought me a new trail cam and metal lock box for bear baiting. Is there anything I can wipe it down with to help keep it from being chewed on? I was playing with it in the back yard and my dog kept going over and sniffing it so if he can smell it then I know ol' blackie might want a taste. I read about wearing latex gloves while retrieving the SD card, but what do you do before that? Some kind of cleaner or bleach? Does anyone have any tips so I won't be hanging a new chew toy here in a few weeks?
    Try to do your camera work before setting the barrel or handling any foods to avoid scent transfers. You can try to minimize scents transferred to the camera and case but I’m not sure that you’ll keep a bear from being curious (noise, lights, smells).

With the metal box … it should be fine…. I usually use lag screws to affix mine the tree.

When I find a spot for my camera I put on surgical gloves before hanging it. When I go in to check and rebait first thing I di is put on the surgical gloves before touching it, grab the card and then drop my bait. I have never had a camera destroyed doing this and all of my buddies who bait that dont do this have had cameras destroyed. I keep a big wad of gloves in my pack and never touch the cam without wearing them. I have had bears nose it and lick it but never tear it down. Seems to wrrk well for me so far.

i have been thinking about this to, how about wiping it down witha alcohol pad then put it in a ziploc until ready to hang?

I put it in a ziploc and then always use surgical glove when ever I touch it. Havent lost a camera yet.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

i never used anything special and I've never had a bear mess with mine (knock on wood).
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I do the glove thing.

+1 on gloves. One time I baited first and than checked the cam w/o gloves and what do you know...cam was ripped off the tree and munched up next time I checked. Another thing I do is use cheap cams so I don't risk my nice one. I'm using Moultrie D50's(good reliable cam) that I bought at sportsmans for $30 a piece when they had the 50 percent off sale this winter.

Piss on it. It will leave a scent but not a tasty one. I've done it around deer scrapes and they will come up and check out the scent.

Go ahead and wipe it down, use good quality nitrile or latex gloves, then spray it w/ scent shield of some type. Can't hurt. I wonder if they bothered it if you could put moth balls around it?
    ARR

Try putting some mothballs in a mesh onion bag & hang it next to or just below the camera.