Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern Talkeetna sow

Default Northern Talkeetna sow

Found this one up high, got lucky, one shot with 338., 225 grain, no rubs, pic's were taken with my cell phone, long story short,,
    it took me less than a hour from my base to when I seen her, watched for 4 hrs before she winded me, I was close to a mile away,
    good noses on bear, she took off away from me, not realizing I know those mountains well, watched her wind thru the rocks around
    the mountain, I knew where we could meet.... I hauled *****, came over a pass, up the side of a steep gully, parked, the spotted her
    close to 200 yds across the gully and uphill from me. Found one lone rock to shoot from and it was over, she conviently slide to the
    bottom of the gully. was sweet I thought.
    Although it took me less that a hour to climb up, I had problems going down, spent 2 days and 2 loong nights at tree line, had to 'siwash' it without tent, sleeping bag, and with wet clothes, finally got going, never figured out why the snowmachine quite, only thankful it fired up when it did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fantastic! Man, I love reading these first reports of spring. I'm sorry to hear that you had to tough out a couple of rough evenings after the fact, but congratulations on your success!

Heard a few minutes ago another one out about 10 air miles from where I got this one, its either being watched or possibly taken,,
    or its up in the rocks snoozing in the sun......will know more tommorrow.

Sounds like a hard-earned payoff! Good job.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

cdubbin, hard earned, yes, but how many bear hunters get to sleep 2 nights with their bear , and man you smell really great too !!
    not to mention having boiled skull meat for nurishment and make yer breath smell mountain sweet....

You didn't eat any backstrap? Just skull meat? The strap on ours was tasty. Congrats!

10 air miles...could you be more specific for me?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm mailing a 1st class air mail letter to you early in the morning !! Good luck !!

Nice work sir!!! I hope to be up that way in a week, hopefully they'll be a little snow left to not completely burn through all my hyfax.

Ahh come on,, you guys don't need snow to cool hyfax down,, just stay in the river,, it works

Nice looking grizzly love that long hair on her! Sorry to hear about your sled breaking down like that got to love the reliability of sleds and how somedays they decide to do their own thing. I am with mod_elan thought why not the back straps, skull meat just doesn't sound as good.

HAHA very true, all the rivers should be well opening up. We'll see if I can still make it up to some of the areas I usually venture out too. I'll stop by and say hi at the very least if you aren't out sleeping with bears again.

Its not bad, had spare gas with me, just adding the hide & skull was enough weight for the soft, punchy snow down below, was eating
    it out of neccesity, I got hungry after 2 days and needed some calories, was keeping a magpie in the cooler for extra rations. Fortunately didn't have to eat the magpie... and it flew away

Alaska Lanche, today is the warmest yet, the rivers behind me are still good as of yesterday, some others going over the divide
    tommorrow, for several days, so stop by, might have a fresh report for you.

Man DEDWUF, You are officially, One BAD Dude,..."Siwashin' it with your Bear for two nights,....Skull Meat,..." Unreal

What a Great Story,..and Congrats,...looks like a Beauty

Thanks for the, "Motivator Hunt Post, of the Spring,"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiakrain, thanks,, your on the right island, I wish I was heading down to deadman bay and looking at grayback mtn.. again..

Nice bear! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. I'm really missing being at home now.

bnkwnto, Thanks,

Man I hope you can all come home soon !!

Take care .

congrats on a beautiful spring bear & hard earned!

Thanks excav8tr !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast