Thread: My top Hooligan Recipies, what is your's?

Default My top Hooligan Recipies, what is your's?

They are a fragile fish, so not much handling of them, that's the key. I like to dust them in flower, and pan fry them in a little bit of extra light olive oil. The extra lite olive oil doesn't need alot of heat, and crisps them on both side very quickly. Be gentle when you flip them only once. Let them set for a couple minute on a paper towel lined bowl, and squeeze fresh lemon wedges on the pile of hooligan and then dust with some fresh ground sea salt. The fins are crispy, and it's like eating wings. Just softly pull the flesh off the bones. The bones are good for the dogs as a treat.

Steam a pile of hooligan, and combine 50/50 with cooked rice, minced garlic, minced onions, and a cup of chopped italian parsley/salt and pepper.

Form into burgers and fry in extra light olive oil. Sourdough hamburger buns, and extra sharp cheedah........Wicked Fish Burgah!

Dog food too, combine hooligan with 50/50 dry dog food and some warm water to make a broth. It cuts down on dog food costs.

Default Brine . . .

Mainer, we used to dip smelt back in Michigan, and I loooooove 'em . . would as soon eat smelt as sockeye. But I consider hooligan an acceptable but poor substitute.

The only thing I've tried that helps is to brine them before frying . . firms them up.

Give it a try . .

I like to mix them on a 5/0 j-hook and pull them behind a hootchie!

I also like to carve a 2 inch diameter section off of a frozen gallon baggie full of them and put them into a shrimp bait jar and send them down 670 foot. They are real tender when they come back up - the sea lice do a number on them!

I haven't been hungry enough to try to eat them myself yet.

Brine then smoke. Yum, Yum

My wife oven-fries them:

Liberally coat a cookie sheet with butter.
    Take some beer-batter fry mix and pour into bowl. Do NOT add beer or anything other than whatever dry spices you might like. Roll hooligan in batter coating both sides.
    Lay hooligan in cookie sheet, single stacked.
    Cook 30 minutes at 350, remove, and flip. Cook another 20-30 minutes.

And that's it. They come out crispy in the thin parts, and are almost like chips. Just munch on them whole, we don't bother cleaning them first. It's pretty tasty, but I can only eat a few personally. Can't handle the richness beyond that, but even the kids love them this way.

I'd like to hear some brine recipes for smoking...I haven't tried that but imagine it's probably good.

I smoked them once in a really simple brine, and soaked them for a full day. then smoked them for 9 hours. they came out really good, but made a total mess of my smoker. They really drip all over it. The next time brined, smoked for only an hour, then canned them. I think they came out pretty good that way, and didn't make as big a mess.

Mainer in Alaska, you remember these things?

Freshwater smelts.

Dipped 'em out of a stream in Mid Maine Saturday night. Size was running a bit small but they're tasty little fellas.

Unhappy Cruel . . .

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    . . remember these things? Freshwater smelts.

Now that's just plain mean . . what I wouldn't give . . .

Oh man, I sure do. We grabbed lanterns and walked trails along the high water rivers at night, and get set up. I always remember the cold night air, and the sounds of the fast water and all the lanterns along shore.

Shortly thereafter, was fiddleheadin. Nothing like smelts, and hooligan surely don't compare. BUT we don't have a bag limit so they sure do fill the freezer and the dog food dish too.

i miss my smelt days from mn. go out with a bunch a guys start a fire drink beer and drag 15 foot long net through the water
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I prefer baking to frying. Here's what works well for me:

Dip in beaten egg
    Roll in bread crumbs
    Put on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet (keeps the bottom crisp)
    Bake in a pre-heated oven for 3 minutes at 500 degrees
    Lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes or until the bread crumbs begin to brown
    Sqeeze on some lemon juice
    ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I always gut and head them first)

Dip in beer batter and deep fry,then place on rack on top of cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes. This renders out some of the additional oil and firms the meat up nicely.

Dip in malt vinegar and munch away. I head and gut them, but eat the bones and all after they are cooked.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....