Thread: 2012 Hooligan

Default 2012 Hooligan

They runnin yet? Should be getting close.

Naw - say it ain't so. That would mean we are getting on into spring and that would mean that summer is soon to pass........not yet I say!

Time sure flies when you are working and can't go out into the ocean - and it is picking up speed like a downhill train the older I get.

Went birdwatching with the wife and kids this morn and saw a whole slew of mew gulls with surf scoters in the salt around Spring Creek in Seward. The gulls were feeding on what sure appeared to be hoolies, still aways out from Salmon Creek and Ressurection River, but not far.

Anybody have news yet? I thought I saw a guy parked off the Seward highway yesterday on the way back to Anchorage from clam digging.

Ran the first trip up 20 mile yesterday night. was on the river from 5-9:30 pm. Ran up to the fork and turned around as there was freezing rain heavy winds, and VERY cold. Still snow right up to the water's edge up river.

Eagle n Gulls are staged, but no hooligan yet. They are late. I dipped my honey hole for about 10 minutes, not a single lil fishy.

Bear tracks on the river, was hoping for some fresh bear meat n lard, but no bear sighted.

Lot of new sweepers, and the river has changed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceAK View Post
    Anybody have news yet? I thought I saw a guy parked off the Seward highway yesterday on the way back to Anchorage from clam digging.

I also think so.

Any new reports?
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Tried the Kenai beach last night for 45 minutes with the big gillnet.
    Zip zero nada.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yes, as of 5/30 the hooligan are running strong around Twentymile on Turnagain. I filled a 5 gallon bucket and 40 quart cooler in about half an hour at 2 hours before the listed low tide for Anchorage. I was in the salt and the current had a nice ebb going.

Be aware that today is the end of the salt water season so make sure you are in fresh water tomorrow. You can dip in fresh water until June 15, I believe.

If im 15 what exactly do I need to do dipping for hooligan? Do I need like a dip netting permit or something? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    If im 15 what exactly do I need to do dipping for hooligan? Do I need like a dip netting permit or something? thanks.
    Fishing, Hunting, Trapping Licenses: Residents under the age of 16 do not need to purchase a hunting, sportfishing or trapping license.
    Permit

• No permit is required, just a resident Alaska sport fishing license (or ADF&G senior license or ADF&G Disabled Veteran's license).

Open season

• In salt waters, hooligan may be taken from April 1 through May 31.
    • In fresh waters, hooligan may be taken from April 1 through June 15.

Limits

• There are no bag or possession limits.

Gear

• Hooligan may be taken by dipnet or by drift gillnet. Dipnets may be used in any waters, fresh or salt.

• If taken by drift gillnet, the drift gillnet may be used only in the Kenai River, and only from April 1 through May 31 as follows:
      • A drift gillnet may be used only in the Kenai River downstream of an ADF&G regulatory marker at Cunningham Park;
      • A drift gillnet may not be more than 20 feet in length, four feet in depth, and one and one-half inches in mesh size; and
      • A drift gillnet must be attended by the person operating the gillnet at all times that the net is fishing.

Source is http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...dHooligan.regs