Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harding Lake Arcticle

Default Harding Lake Arcticle

Very nice article in the Newsminer this morning, complete with pictures and everything. I have fished it for many years and have enjoyed it. Problem lies in that the people who love to fish there have tried not to talk about it much. The lake won't be able to handle all the pressure it will get from Fairbanks. Those very same people that have said they like to fish Harding and have posted all these pictures this year online. I have tried to understand why they are doing this and not said much. However, now they have taken out Mr Mowry, have basically set the stage for the pressure on the lake to ultimately ruin the fishing. There is a reason that fisherman don't tell where they fish. This will mark the beginning of the end for the big lakers in Harding Lake. These fisherman say they let them go, that's great, but a majority of the people won't. Big lakers take decades to grow and won't be there in the future. Hope they enjoyed the publicity, it will come at a steep cost...

While I applaud your concern I disagree with you. These fine gentlemen have catching lakers on Harding down to a fine science. Its obvious from they're posts they do catch some monsters. Its also obvious they put in many many hours to catch them. My guess is around 1 fish per/4-5 hours of fishing. You won't find many people who are willing to work that many hours for 1 or two fish per day. Those that do have the patience I'm sure also have the ethics to do as these guys do and properly release the vast majority of their catch.

Here's the article...

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...r-the-big-ones?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

That is an interesting opinion even if it is selfish. What is your factual basis for your statement that the fishery will be ruined? How is an article in the paper or some photos posted online any different than a hunting or fishing show on TV about specific lakes or rivers or gmu's in Alaska? There have been photos of large lake trout from Harding lake posted in the Newsminer going back many years. I know of one person that had his picture of a very large laker posted in the newsminer many years ago and yet there are still large fish in the lake today. Compeau's does live radio ads from the lake in the spring after the ice goes out wherein he talks about how many fish he has caught and how big they are and yet there are still large fish in the lake today. Can you explain that? There is absolutely no compelling evidence to indicate that favorable publicity about a certain lake will "ultimately ruin the fishing" as you state.

There will always be folks with a different opinions. I respect other viewpoints, however I do not always agree with them.

Harding Lake is 4000 plus acre, road side accessible fishery and there are no secrets being told or revealed by publishing a story about going out and trying to catch a fish.....and not catching a fish....in the local news paper.

The article is about an outdoor experience of fishing at the lake.

I have seen plenty of pictures previously published (not mine) in the local news paper, posted on gas station windows (not mine), and hung in local sporting good stores in the area of the fish caught at Harding Lake (not mine). There are surveys, maps, and studies of the lake availble online. I have listened to numerous stories from people of fishing the lake in both summer and winter months trying to catch an elusive fish. Its inspired me to try and keep fishing the lake, and share with other anglers.

Again, the article is about an outdoor experience of fishing at the lake.

I hope it encourages a couple of people to go and try there own luck at fishing the lake. I am not ashamed to admit that I like to share information about my angling experiences and I hope that by doing so, the pleasure I get from fishing might be passed along to a few others. It is my personal believe that I do not have to keep it to myself to keep enjoying the activity and sharing is not a bad thing.

I am sure there are plenty of critics and cynics will complain about the newspaper story. However, I disagree with the assumption and theory about how fishing at the lake will be ruined now that the cats out of the bag. There may be a couple adventerous anglers that read the story and decide to try their hand at fishing the lake this next winter, but you wont see the hoards of ice fishermen arrive to the lake to set up shanty town and rape the depths and take all the fish. I began telling and sharing my own stories and pictures from the last couple years on a website and have still yet to see more than a single digit count of fishermen on any one day when I am there. I personnaly consider myself very avid ice fishing the lake and I myself went out only about 20 times this season (Nov-Apr).

Feelings or conjecture about the "steep cost" of publishing a story about fishing on a 4000+ acre public lake, with public access, which is stocked by the ADF&G using resources from all the residents of Alaska, and not catching any fish, I believe is misleading. There is plenty of published information about this lake available to everyone before this story was even written.

I believe my outdoor adventures should be celebrated and shared. I also believe there is a cost associated with not sharing information and stories to which may inspire or include others in the very activities that gives me joy in life.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Harding lake is a big secret...

Here we go with the "secrets". I first started trying my luck out at Harding in 2008 after reading about the "secret" in Gunnar Pedersen's Highway Angler Edition 5 page 234-235 and Alaska Fishing The Ultimate Angler's Guide Deluxe 3rd Edition pages 111,119-121, and 278 and several other Alaskan fishing books. I also sneaked a peak of the Sportsman's Warehouse dry erase boards several times to see what to use to catch these trophy lakers and char. The information has been out forever. But after alot of patience and hard work some of us have had quite a bit of success out there. And I'll be honest...I love showing my pics to my buddies and people on the forum who want to see what Harding has to offer. I'm very proud of the fish I've caught there. I'm even prouder to say that I release every fish I catch at Harding for someone else to enjoy. It's been an honor to fish with these guys on the hardwater and I look forward to many more successful seasons at Harding "Hard Luck" Lake. Fish On!!!

Sapper in the Skies

Two words..... Kenai River. Most publicized and talked about river and still a world class rainbow trout fishery.

Kenai river is highly publicized and definatly no where close to what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 8weight View Post
    Kenai river is highly publicized and definatly no where close to what it used to be.

Literally nothing is what it used to be......It is still however a world class trout fishery with lots of fish and trophy fish at that that are caught on a regular basis.

And why is the fishing not what it used to be?

And why is the fishing not what it used to be?
    Perhaps the invention of the wheel, phones, television, internet and other technology. There is info on EVERYTHING. Nothing is a secret. One simply has to just search a topic and get all kinds of info. There are less traveled roads but those roads ARE known. It will just take a diehard or adventurous soul to explore them. Easy accessibility to anywhere will add to the pressure. Also add to the fact that there are well over 6 billion people in the world..... Stating that a river, town, woods isn't what it used to be is pretty much a given. My point that was missed is that the Kenai is STILL a world class trout fishery after being such a publicized river. I doubt an article on Harding Lake on top of all the books already written, shows filmed, and pictures posted will add much more to the already known. I for one am glad for the books, magazines, articles and forums because it has taken me to some incredible places and led me to catch some amazing fish. I am sure you have picked up a book, magazine, watched a show or looked online. Heck your on this forumů.

Kenai fishings not as good as it used to be because of fishing pressure.

Kenai fishings not as good as it used to be because of fishing pressure.
    I agree with you that fishing pressure has and will continue to make the fishing on any system not as good as it used to be. However, Other factors influence the Kenai and other fisheries that are both environmental and man made. The debate about how much and how much is too much information shared about the outdoors and fishing locations will always exist. I will still argue that the posting of an article in a newspaper about Harding lake will not cause the flood gates to open with anglers invading the lake.

All the publicity about Harding already has made a difference and will continue to.

[QUOTE=8weight;1111285]All the publicity about Harding already has made a difference and will continue to.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, do you base this assertion on your own personal experience or is there any scientific research or data that supports your claim?

Your claim holds no merit and is vague, "ALL the pubilicity about Harding" which means what? ...books, internet, pictures on gas station windows and reports at sentry hardware? "already made a difference" if so, how so? less fish? less big fish? "will continue to do so" based on what? hypothesis? moon phases?

Its been my experience fishing the lake since about 2002 that the amount of anglers I see on the lake is on averages about 3 groups. The most I have seen on the lake on any one day is 10. I use to see a couple hard sided shacks on the lake until the last couple years there has only been one. Granted I am not out there everyday. This last Friday and Saturday there were 2 groups. (ours and another) The amount of people I see during my time on the lake has not changed.

My fishing experiences have only got better compared to previous years, even with the lake being over 4000 acres (almost 6 miles across) and depths to 150 feet. Ice fishing out of a 10 inch hole with a 3 inch lure. Com'on what secrets are being given away here? The average joe is never going to fish the lake. No disrespect intended to anyone, but the amount of time, study, effort and $$ for gear to fish the lake, and be successful, is not going to be taken on by the same anglers that want to harvest the dinkers from Birch Lake.

Again, the story in the Outdoor section of the newspaper was about an outdoor event, which was about fishing harding lake, a stocked lake along the highway...and no one caught a fish. Have you read the article? Magazines, books, and newspapers have been sharing so called "secrets" for quite a some time. The stories inspire a few people into action, most will only dream of such an adventure.

Have you considered that your opinion about "publicity" making a difference and continuing to do so, or is more about your personal lack of success with fishing the lake? Maybe its simply a result of your angling abilities and maybe your not doing it right? Its takes a significant amount of time and patience to even get the random luck of a bite in that lake, let alone hook a fish.

I have not met everyone that fishes the lake, but of those that I have met, all seem to have been friendly and shared the same basic values and ideas about being prudent with the resources in Harding Lake. A study from ADF&G about lake trout reproduction in the lake confirms there was far more pressure in the past, than the lake has now, which was when pike fishing was open.

I understand the basic premise of wanting to keep information out of the publics eye in order to keep the fish safe. PETA I believe shares a similar selfish approach to sportfishing also, they dont want us to do it at all. But I bet the root of this debate is more to do with a myth of ruining a good fishing hole because someone opened up Pandora's box.

I believe its my obligation as a sport fishermen to be protective of the resources, but also share experiences and pass along knowledge and encourage others to go fishing. The newspaper article will probably encourage a handful of sportsmen to go try thier own luck on the lake next season, any of them can fish right next to me at the lake and I wont complain.

It takes a hard core fisherman to become a sucessful harding lake fish catcher. Very few people will keep at more than a couple of unsucessful trips. Those that keep at it will have a respect for the fish and more than likely release them.

Sounds like anybody that disagrees with the Jedi is just wrong. You have no idea what my success rate is on Harding Lake. My opinion on what may happen to this lake is not based on "moon phases", but in watching what has happened on other bodies of water in Alaska. I can only hope that my grandson will be able to enjoy the same quality of fishing in the future on Harding Lake that I have, but I am concerned because of people who have to brag and showoff what great fishermen they are so they can be reveared on internet forums.

Sounds like anybody that disagrees with the Jedi is just wrong. You have no idea what my success rate is on Harding Lake. My opinion on what may happen to this lake is not based on "moon phases", but in watching what has happened on other bodies of water in Alaska. I can only hope that my grandson will be able to enjoy the same quality of fishing in the future on Harding Lake that I have, but I am concerned because of people who have to brag and showoff what great fishermen they are so they can be reveared on internet forums.
    reveared is first off spelled wrong.... secondly is the wrong word to describe jedi and many other peoples intentions posting pictures of large fish on the forums... by the way its revered...

Thanks for the spelling lesson.

free of charge sir

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast