Thread: Commercial cod jigging

Default Commercial cod jigging

I notice a couple of you guys are cod jigging commercially. Just curious about what all is required to operate. I tried looking info up on the fish and game website, but I didn't really find any straightforward answers. Do you need a limited entry permit, IFQ, or anything like that? I see a 75$ fee, but is this just to keep your permit current?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The big cost is meeting the Coast Guards safty requirements, Life raft $3500, Survival suits $400, safty inspections each year on your raft after the first 2 years same with suits, all required books that you have to have, alarms and other things like training. Each year the requirements keep getting more and more costly.

Charterboat Operator

What MGH55 said, However there are different set's of requirements for Boat length's and the amount of crew aboard, if your boat is an active working charter boat, you will find you have met SOME! of those requirements all ready. So that helps. I have been boarded twice since November! Only got popped for no boat name on my immersion suits.

Thanks for the response. I bought an ex-charter boat out of Homer a couple years ago, and I put some new engines in it to get it running. I like the boat, but I realize that it is not what I want as a recreational boat, so I bought a smaller aluminum boat so I can go all the places I like. I don't think I can sell my bigger boat for what I think it is worth, so I am trying to come up with a reason to keep it. Where would I be able to find a list of requirements to get into cod jigging?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

I believe you can Google USCG Commercial safety requirements.

If your under boat is under 36 feet you just need immersion suits. The permit is $75. The big cost is the jigging machines. The automatic jiggers run from $3,400 to $ $4,400. The Gear Shed in Homer sells a Kachtemack(sp?) machine that runs about $1,200 and uses the motion of the ocean to jig. You will need another $1,000 for line, hooks and inidentals. MGH55 is right though getting your boat to meet Coast Guard saftey requirements for a commercial fishing boat is expensive. I just spent the last 3 months getting a boat ready to commercial jig, if you have questions PM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions

How much are you guys getting per pound for those fish?

Before jumping into any commercial fishery, do the math on how much you'd need to catch to make money.