Thread: Smart phone boating apps

Default Smart phone boating apps

Lots of talk of this forum about electronics, but not much mention of all the apps that you can get for free on your smart phone.

GPS plotter (several locations available); actually works as good as anything, has tides, keeps track of routes, waypoints, etc, available for lakes too! Worked great in Seward last year!
    Marine Weather bouys; Faster than messing with computer, great for checking obssesively all day, has all the bouys we use here, tides also.
    Compass (that's really common...)

The one that I thought was really interesting is the "range finder" app. It comes as a set, "Smart Tools" has about five different tools in the one app. I use it to anchor in tight coves, gives me a better idea how close I am to the shore or cliffs. Usually when you leave in your dinghy you realize you could have anchored closer!

I usually throw my phone in a ziploc then in a drawer for the trip (the whole point of boating- "unplug") but I have two GPS on my boat and needed one for back up once during an electrical hiccup. If you only have one, but have a phone that phone might be your back up.

Anyone else loaded with boating apps on your phone or know of any that I haven't mentioned?

The only one I have is called Tideapp. Its a tide chart, Problem is once I get under way I usually get out of my cell phone service area and my "smart phone" becomes as dumb as a sack of rocks.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

It's worked good for me in Seward and Homer. The weather app is great for planning your weekend before you head out, it's no good out of coverage areas. The GPS/plotter is great anywhere. It had "boat" on it so I was attracted to it like a fishing lure!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    It's worked good for me in Seward and Homer. The weather app is great for planning your weekend before you head out, it's no good out of coverage areas. The GPS/plotter is great anywhere. It had "boat" on it so I was attracted to it like a fishing lure!
    The apps related to location work on cell phones? But there is no reception too far out of Whittier or Seward. How do they work?

The GPS is a GPS on the phone, it works with the satelites. For example: Drove from one end of Florida to another with it on the navigation app running on satelites. Won't work in a building because the GPS can't get a satelite fix. The measuring apps are for measuring, they work anywhere, just like the level or compass app, or any other thing on the phone from the notebook to the calendar. The NOAA data is the internet/phone line coverage areas only, they won't work out of cell range. They even have hiking apps that show TOPO MAPS out in the middle of nowhere. They track your route and store it for ever or for keeping track of your distances, etc.

There is a YouTube video of a guy demonstrating using his phone for his plotter on his boat, pretty basic.

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS, YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET???

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    The GPS is a GPS on the phone, it works with the satelites. For example: Drove from one end of Florida to another with it on the navigation app running on satelites. Won't work in a building because the GPS can't get a satelite fix. The measuring apps are for measuring, they work anywhere, just like the level or compass app, or any other thing on the phone from the notebook to the calendar. The NOAA data is the internet/phone line coverage areas only, they won't work out of cell range. They even have hiking apps that show TOPO MAPS out in the middle of nowhere. They track your route and store it for ever or for keeping track of your distances, etc.

There is a YouTube video of a guy demonstrating using his phone for his plotter on his boat, pretty basic.

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS, YOU HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET???
    Not all phones have a true GPS. Some just us a form of triangulation based on cell phone tower signals so will be useless when out of reach of a cell signal. If you are intending to use these other apps, you will want to make sure the phone you have is using a true GPS signal for that function.

So many areas of Alaska dont have cell phone signals I'd never count on one as a back up. I do all my planning and weather watching for a minimum of a week before a trip. Once I'm on the water the only updates I trust come from NOAA weather radio on my VHF.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

What is the name of the Plotter App?? I looked at one a while back but it would not work on my phone, I have a new phone and I think it will work but I can no longer find the app. I have an Android phone with a real GPS...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Bouy data
    Navigator
    Tide graph
    Tides

Here are a few I have on my phone
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Some have thousands of dollars worth of electronics on their dash. The Navionics apps are about $9.99 (many different lakes and offshore areas), the NOAA apps about $1.99. It is just a garnish for your diner plate...