Thread: Lone Musk Ox hanging out along Haul Road

Default Lone Musk Ox hanging out along Haul Road

My wife has been to Prudhoe and Toolik and back this week, several days apart and she got great pics of lone musk ox standing by the road. He was within 100 yards of where she saw him several days ago. He looks very healthy and no wolves have paid him a visit. Anyone else seen him?

If he's the guy just north of Pump 3 then yes, I saw him on the 30th of March and the 1st of April. I've seen musk ox a bunch in that area over the years. I know a group went up earlier in March and saw him in the same area. He was just off the edge of the road both times I saw him. I'm sure he's making lots of tourists happy.

Has she been seeing any caribou?

We saw him last tuesday, saw all the tracks first just off the right side of the road, thought perhaps it was a herd of them, surprised to see just the one guy, pretty lonely existence.

FYI, the wife and I are up at Happy Valley now and for the summer, change of pace for us to spend spring and summer in the Arctic. Anyone up this way please feel free to stop in and say hi, can't miss the dogteam out front.

Saw a few bands of caribou south of the pass last week, working their way north, saw a few successful bowhunters too, and got to meet Trooper Dan.

Been out across the Sag to the east but haven't run into any caribou this far north yet, here's a shot heading back to HV, maybe two miles off, can see the haul road in the distance, middle of pic is a semi heading north you can almost make out.

Cool phote bushrat! Looks like a different world up there.

It is a different world up here CtP! One thing for sure, I ain't ever going anywhere without my compass.

It was nice meeting you up there last Tues Mark...Hope you got everything fired up in the cabin. We stopped on the way down on Friday but not much movement!!! Enjoy your time up there

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Has she been seeing any caribou?
    I saw 6 cows on an ice road on the other east side of the sag river not too far from the ocean. Also saw just as many near Milne point, north and west of GPB. There are a few others I see here and there, but not many on the oil fields yet.

Forgot I had a picture of him...

This was my first run in the new company truck up to Prudhoe. Makes the ride much more fun having a truck like this, although I'm freeking out about getting a scratch on it! Once I get a few that will wear off though.

Those bou up by the Ocean winter up there, they don't seem to be migratory. There are usually a half dozen or so hanging out year round by BOC, and more out by Kuparuk/Milne. Tough critters!

Mark, will you still be up there in early May?

That Musk ox haas been in that same area for about two years now.I run the road several times a year and have seen him there quite often.

It does seem like a hot spot for the ox. I've seen them on the hills off to the east quite often in there too.

Mark, got your message and tried to respond but your PM box is full.

Here he was on Monday Near pump 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Forgot I had a picture of him...

This was my first run in the new company truck up to Prudhoe. Makes the ride much more fun having a truck like this, although I'm freeking out about getting a scratch on it! Once I get a few that will wear off though.

Those bou up by the Ocean winter up there, they don't seem to be migratory. There are usually a half dozen or so hanging out year round by BOC, and more out by Kuparuk/Milne. Tough critters!

Mark, will you still be up there in early May?
    Wow!
    I seen your rig outside of brooks range a few weeks ago, thought that's an odd ride to see up here this time of year. I had to take a pic and show a buddy.
    Not everyday you see a raptor crushing deadhorse!

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Wow!
    I seen your rig outside of brooks range a few weeks ago, thought that's an odd ride to see up here this time of year. I had to take a pic and show a buddy.
    Not everyday you see a raptor crushing deadhorse!
    It definitely got some attention while I was up there. I think I almost caused an accident by CH2M because somebody nearly broke his neck looking at the truck. These tires were made for the sand though, I'm not too impressed with how they handled on the ice. The truck came with a few complimentary months of Sirius XM, and I was surprised to see it work up there!