Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Combat Fishing ?

Default Combat Fishing ?

Came across this pic, and was wondering is it really like this in some of the spots there ?? if so what areas are notorious
    for this as I will try to avoid it . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combat-fishing_2273.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	59138
    Alaska bound !

the kenai looks like this every year

oh my god so much for going to the Kenai

Not to forget..... Russian,Montana,Willow,Klutina,Anchor,Ship,Eklutna tailrace,Jim,Sheep.......and pretty much the rest of the road system streams. It's not as bad as it looks. It's actually quite the experience. there are several areas on the streams listed above where you can get solitude. Just have to stay away from the easy access spots. But you def have to experience combat fishing atleast once. Wear a hat, sunglasses and in sone cases a flack vest. For what its worth not a bad gig. If need be take a stroll away from the croud and you may just have the best fishing ever.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

yep like 900fusion stated almost all the streams you can get to by road are like that when the fish are in
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    the kenai looks like this every year
    Not hardly.....the Kenai is a big river. That pic was probably taken at the Russian which is the worst. But MOST of the Kenai doesn't look like this. The boats get awful crowded though....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Not hardly.....the Kenai is a big river. That pic was probably taken at the Russian which is the worst. But MOST of the Kenai doesn't look like this. The boats get awful crowded though....
    Ah, me - - - - - and I can still remember when there wasn't a single fisherman at the Russian/Kenai spot. Back when the covered bridge still stood at the Kenai crossing. That was before they had even closed parts of the Lower Russian River. And before the lodge at the Lower Russian Lake burned down. I wonder how many remember the escapade that the GIs from Ft. Rich that caused the closure?

I'm not bad-mouthing our GIs, but there are still some that are game hogs. In the case of the Lower Russian, a handful of those guys snagged so many salmon they couldn't carry them back out. Many, many fish were left on the ground there. Sad days . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Came across this pic, and was wondering is it really like this in some of the spots there ?? if so what areas are notorious

I quit going to the Kenai 15 years ago because it looked like that, I can only imagine what's it like now.

Is it crowded down in Seward area as well ? How do you pronounce that, is it like sea -ward ,su -ward ?
    Alaska bound !

Its pronounced Su- ward.

Is it crowded down in Seward area as well ? How do you pronounce that, is it like sea -ward ,su -ward ?
    No rivers like the Kenai in the Seward area. So, no it doesn't look like "that".

Most Floridans would pronounce it sea-ward, but the correct way is su-ward.

Or you could pronounce it Sew-ard, you know, like the man it's named after.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I forgot to mention if you plan on hitting seward for salmon in the ocean where the creeks meet its a common practice to used seward specials aka snagging hooks. Def want to wear a hat and glasses if one is to venture on down there.

It's like that only when the Reds are in, the rest of the year the same photo would be devoid of people. This is one of the most accessible parts of the upper Kenai, it's got a parking lot on the River for goodness sake! Of course it's crowded.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

That exact spot is right where the Russian comes into the Kenai. The grassy spot in the back is the island in the Kenai that shields the mouth of the Russian. Based on the number of people in hip waders versus chest waders I would say this is a very old photo. In today's market expect more people. Literally shoulder to shoulder these days when they open the sanctuary.

Also keep in mind that the people in the photo does not understand red salmon in river behavior and are making their fishing an order of magnitude more difficult than it needs to be. When reds are allowed to hug the bank they move up river slower and are easier to catch. Standing in the river right in their migration path makes them either swim by faster, or blocks them completely and they stay in the main river waiting below the hords.

I prefer to go up into the canyon and fish among the bears in solitude. Let the huddled masses huddle close to their cars.

If you want some more enjoyable viewing, search YouTube for kenai dipnetting footage. Boat rodeo with nets!

Thats another reason I gave up fishing on the Kenia. Combat fishing... I call it "elbows and a##holes". Most of them are "out-of-staters". Its one of the easiest and most accessable spots to fish on the Kenia Peninsula. Thats one way we can tell if the fish are there or not. If the crowds are there, then the fish are too. Make sure you wear eye protection as them reds like to spit the hook more than not... Be patient and polite and you will get your limit. Heck you can can catch reds there until your arms fall off. Good Luck... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Default Klutina

How bad is the Klutina? I expect it to be the worst by campgrounds and the bridge. Plan to do a charter to learn how to fish for kings there. Then use the wheeler to get further up/down river hoping to avoid the masses.

And this Floridian pronounces it Su-ward since there is no "a".

Get used to combat fishing. It's spread way beyond the road system, and guys traveling from there out to remote areas think nothing of crowding on top of other folks, local traditions otherwise. We just avoid the crowds and we don't talk about where to catch fish. There's great fishing away from the crowds, but you have to be sneaky about it and do your research. No one is going to draw you a map, because sure as shooting the combat engineers will be there overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    How bad is the Klutina? I expect it to be the worst by campgrounds and the bridge. Plan to do a charter to learn how to fish for kings there. Then use the wheeler to get further up/down river hoping to avoid the masses.

And this Floridian pronounces it Su-ward since there is no "a".
    actually I think it is pronounced Su-erd but who knows I mean the guy was from the east coast any way so who knows how you really say it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    actually I think it is pronounced Su-erd but who knows I mean the guy was from the east coast any way so who knows how you really say it.

Actually I think it's Soo-Erd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast