Thread: Archery Range at Loretta French

Default Archery Range at Loretta French

I'm trying to find out the bottom line regaurding the archery range at Loretta french park. I understand that cook inlet archers is responsible/whatever. It looks like the cook inlet archers website hasn't been touched since 2010, and I'm not even sure it is active as it should be. I'm just not sure I want to pay to join a club that doesn't have strong/active membership. From my understanding the city owns the range. What's to keep myself from bringing my own targets and shooting safely? Who has the key to the gate out there, and is it correct for them to limit access to public park?

I guess I'll just call parks and rec and get some info.

Don't really understand your problem with the content of a website to a club you don't belong too, but assuming that because the website is out of date means membership is poor is a big jump. I am sure if any member had an issue they could volunteer to update it to their/your liking. There is a bag loop and a static range out there, anyone can use it. The gate and it's key/combo are for the various clubs that pay and are permitted for the park. I don't know who is limiting your access, but I am guessing the call to parks and rec is free for you to help your research.

Not really sure why from your response it sounds like I personally offended you, but I guess I do have a couple of problems. First, if its a city park, and open for everyone to use, why is there a gate on it in the first place? I'm sure the answer is to keep out non-archers/delinquents, but that's why I pay tax dollars for law enforcement patrols. Second, since again, it is a city park, why is there not a sign out on the road announcing there is an archery range? Both the main park and the equestrian center both have visible signs. There isn't even a sign at the gate stating who to contact for info/access. The whole location seems hidden, as if only those in the know are allowed to use it. I'm assuming any group could therefore call parks and rec, pay a fee, and get permitted, correct? As far as the website of the club, I'm sure most people would agree that the internet is the information source of choice for the vast majority of the population. Therefore it would only make sense that a club that is interested in promoting archery/getting people into the sport would keep the site up to date, as well as provide some more information reguaeding the benefits of membership...etc. Otherwise, why even have a site at all? Is the contact information listed on the site still accurate? A lot can change in 2-3 years. I'm not trying to piss anybody off, but your response sounds uninviting to say the least....

Not offended at all, reading your first post sounded a little whinnying/whatever to me. There are other groups/clubs that use the park and pay for it. There are plenty of signs along the road to inform people there is an archery range there, and as I stated, you can walk back there and use the static range or bag loop at your leisure. Having an archery club, or most any other club, comes with liability, we pay for insurance with our member and shoot fees to keep that insurance, the plowing and porta Jon are also taken care of, the members who run/maintain the club are volunteers, some have different skills than others, and those volunteers change, so website is not up to date. You posted on this site, sorry you didn't get a response sooner, but hope I gave you some info, or that your phone call to parks and rec explained it better than me. If you have a group and would like to get a permit, good on you, I have no idea how to go about it, but you could have received that info with your parks and rec call. As I said, no need to haul your targets out there, unless you really want to, there are plenty of targets set up, but if you go and break your ankle, without being a member of one of those groups, that pay for permits and insurance, I think that gate keeps us all protected from a lawsuit. We meet every 3rd Sunday for our club shoots, $25.00 for non members, I think may is our last shoot till October, but I need to check the website.

Default driveacub

I have been a member of Cook Inlet archers for many years. The person who used to run the website is no longer an active member, hence nobody has come up with the skills to update it in a lon time. I had just tried to go to it the other day and was reminded that it was inactive and was going to bring that up to the officers so that it could either be updated or deleted. I have paid my dues to help defray the cost of targets, plowing and insurance so that I could enjoy shooting at the range. As mntioned they have monthly competitive shoots on Sundays during the winter; I have only attended one of these because of other sunday committments. Cook Inlet has the porta potty, and the trailer with club equipment in it. The permanent signs indicating active archery range are along the road and when they have their shoots, a big sign is present at the beginning of the road to invoite newcomers in. They keep the membership informed via newsletter. The padlock on the gate is coordinated with the muni and members have the combination. The annual membership fee is $20 and you could obtain membership information by contacting Gary Perkins, president, at 688-2954. The locked gate is to protect the equipment stored in the trailer, as well as the hanging targets, and to make certain that any vehicle traffic in and out is for archery purposes only. You will note that the horse riding facility at the other end of the area also has a locked gate. A model airplane flying club also has a padlock and uses part of the facility.
    Last edited by driveacub; 04-21-2012 at 07:20. Reason: add a line