Thread: conceal carry smith or something else

Default conceal carry smith or something else

Ok so first my knowledge is mostly in the guns of the hunting realm so bear with me. I am looking to purchase in the near future a new conceal carry gun and was looking for some advice.I do own a S&W m&p .40 standard size but my belly is starting to disagree with it ..It has always made me a little nervous and this is where the question comes in, from my understanding the M&P is like the glock where it is somewhat cocked all the time and thus not having a hammer or being double action on the first shot.Is that a better overall system as compared to a gun like the s&w 5906 that has a decocker. I have always had a fondness of the 5906 but anytime they have come up used locally the funds were not available.So second question is there anything on the market comparable to the 5906

thanks for any info..

Bear:
    I certainly understand what you are saying, but as long as you manage trigger finger control (as in off of it until time to fire) there is no problem. As far as belly getting in the way- I would recomend trying some different holsters in different positions and find one that is both effectively reached and is comfortable and safe. We all like different toys and ways to carry them and if you are simply looking for another gun with a decocker- I have been happy with Sigs.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Bear:
    I certainly understand what you are saying, but as long as you manage trigger finger control (as in off of it until time to fire) there is no problem. As far as belly getting in the way- I would recomend trying some different holsters in different positions and find one that is both effectively reached and is comfortable and safe. We all like different toys and ways to carry them and if you are simply looking for another gun with a decocker- I have been happy with Sigs.

Just my .02
    Bee thanks for the advice and I hear ya on the finger thing.. I preach that to my kids also.. I guess I just feel uneasy as it was always set in my head "uncock ,safety on and so on" and now I have something precocked in my shorts so to speak..lol
    I was not aware of the sigs with dcocker I will check them out ...thanks
    Dave

I will second the Sig recommendation, if you want an auto that has a decocker, they don't come much finer than the Sigs. If I were to carry regularly, I don't unless I'm walking the dogs and need anti moose stomping sidearm, or everyonce and again when I feel like it. But if I were going to tote a gun daily I would bypass all the autos and get a hammerless, Airweight S&W with a 1.875" bbl. When I did carry everyday for a good while it was with a full-size auto and other than the peace of mind it instilled, it frankly sucked. An 11oz 38 tucked in a jacket pocket or a small holster is mucho comfortable, with zero belly issues to worry about.

The Kid, being a Kid, has been hanging around us bald headed, unshaven, fat old revolver guys too long as his post indicates. No Glocks for him!

S&W 36 here. I like hammers. Nyah nyah

Love my little 340pd even though I like a hammer, well it does have one inside so Iím covered. For an auto look at Ruger LC9, I got one on a trade deal that I was gonna trade it right on but that little thing is just neat, lot of power in a little package and it has a hammer you can see even.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a few big and small hand guns that I use for concealed carry. On the small end is a 640 S&W .38 Spl. and a Glock 36 .45. Not much difference in size, but I can shoot the Glock 36 .45 better then the J Frame Smith and 7 big .45 rounds is better then 5 .38 Spl. any day. The 2 that have carried the most and for the longest time are a customized Browning Hi Power and a Govt. Mod. Springfield 1911. I also have a Glock 30SF .45 that sort of lands in the middle of the other 4 as far as ease of carry goes. Good quality holsters and belts make a big difference. Which is why I have a bunch of Kramer Horse hide holsters and an old Milt Sparks for the Hi Power. There is so much to choose from. I have never cared for a pistol with a de-cocker but more then one of the worlds best 'kill teams" uses them, usually as a back up though to a rifle of some type. All one has to do is look at the "pistol games" and you will quickly see a single action auto or a striker fired pistol like a Glock or one of the same sort is all that is used. As for being nervous with a gun that has a safety on the trigger, at least you won't have trouble finding it if your in a hurry. Rule #3 , "Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you have decided to shoot".

I have a S&W "LadySmith" I bought for the wife in 38 that sure fits nicely into ones pocket, and a Ruger LC9 that has proven very reliable and sits very flat in a pocket. If'n I am in the mood and fear Zombies may attack I like my Glock 21SF 45Auto.
    To me one wants the least amount of safeties and gadgets to fuss with in a panic....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Majority of the smaller carry autos are actually Double Action - Ruger LCP nad LC9, Taurus Slim and TCP, SW Bodyguard, Kahr, Keltec etc. So anyone of them will suit your need and 'fear' of having a c0cked pistol on your hip/in your pocket.
    That said, the Glock 'safe action' (and most quality striker fired semi autos) is as safe as any revovler - keep your finger off the trigger and you will be good.
    If you want a nice slim packable punch, take a look at the Springfield XDS - 45 acp single stack ultra compact. Got to fondle one the other day and oh so nice - really tempting me to move to the dark-side (45acp as I am a diehard 9mm fan!).
    As you can tell I am really not a wheel gun fan!

Bear, have you looked at the Rugers? Ruger prices are pretty affordable and I believe all of them have a "safety" in the traditional sense of the word. You get a glock-like trigger with a safety added. Both the SR9 and the LC9 have safeties.

I like the old S&Ws with the decocker and my wife has a single stack 9mm (I think it is the 5909TSW). These guys carry used/police trade-ins of the old Smiths. You could buy one and have it transferred to an FFL up here. Prices are pretty good.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

One thing, though. While I like to shoot all metal guns, for concealed carry, less weight is better and the plastic framed Rugers might fit the bill better. Maybe you can find one used for a good price up here.

Have you considered a Keltec? Either a P11 or a PF-9. Both have a long DAO trigger pull, are very small with reasonable capacity, and they have a reputation of being quite dependable.

I have a P11 and will be the first to say that the trigger is the polar opposite of "touchy". I have no worries about accidentally pulling it's trigger.