Thread: Ar .22

Default Ar .22

I'm thinking of picking up an AR type .22, I have narrowed it down to the smith and wesson or a colt. Any thoughts? do either of them have any problems? will they fire any .22 ammo? or is some ammo better than others. thanks for the input.

I have a friend that picked up the S&W and its very light, functions well and would be a great plinking rifle. S&W says it weighs 5.5 pounds but when you pick it up you'd think its more like 3, which is great for younger shooters that have a hard time holding an AR-15 in 5.56. The first time it was used, it went through 400 rounds of ammo with only 1 feed issue and that was due to a loading problem intot he magazine. You can get the rounds to sit a little crooked if you're not watching how you load. I was impressed enough to put that on my next gun list.

I've not looked at the Colt, except in the display case, so I've no idea how close they compare.

The Colts are made by Umarex. They have not impressed me as reliable. The S&W is somewhat better.

But the champion, in my view is the SIG 522. I was impressed enough by it that I bought one for SWMBO. It has yet to hiccup and she usually starts her range session with 6 fully loaded 30 round mags

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    The Colts are made by Umarex. They have not impressed me as reliable. The S&W is somewhat better.

But the champion, in my view is the SIG 522. I was impressed enough by it that I bought one for SWMBO. It has yet to hiccup and she usually starts her range session with 6 fully loaded 30 round mags
    Thatís quite an endorsement there Ken, when the Colt dealer goes and buys a Sig retail from the another store . . . I think I need a Sig 622 now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A friend bought an early S&W and ran 7 boxes of different ammo through it the first time out with no problems.

I bought one last year and really like it so far. No problems. I've changed out the stock and pistol grip to match my 5.56. Sling, optic, sights, BAD lever, etc are all similar for low cost training. Many of the aftermarket drop-in triggers will do just that. It is largely (upper, lower, buffer 'tube' and railed forend) made out of plastic and feels like it weight-wise, but still reasonably solid. Hope to be able to afford a can soon, and it will screw right on.

The bolt release on a Colt is non-functional. The safety moves through 180 degrees to go from Safe to Semi/Fire, unlike a real AR. The mags are significantly longer than 5.56 30 round mags. It is largely made out of metal, and feels like it may have been made by a 'Ring of Fire' pot metal pistol company. But I've never shot one, and they may be the best thing since sliced marshmallows.

If you have a regular 5.56/.223 AR just get a conversion bolt and mag and use the gun you are familiar with now. Takes about 30 seconds to change from 5.56 to 22LR. They may not be as accurate as the slower twist barrel but most will do bunnies to 30 or 40 yds. You do need to clean them after the filthy.22LR session. It also makes a good field/survival gun that way.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'm going for the Smith and wesson, Lowrider I had thought about what you are saying but can't aford both

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Thatís quite an endorsement there Ken, when the Colt dealer goes and buys a Sig retail from the another store . . . I think I need a Sig 622 now.
    Again...the colt is not a Colt. It is a Umarex with a license to use the Colt name.

And what makes you think I got the SIG soemwhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    If you have a regular 5.56/.223 AR just get a conversion bolt and mag and use the gun you are familiar with now. Takes about 30 seconds to change from 5.56 to 22LR. They may not be as accurate as the slower twist barrel but most will do bunnies to 30 or 40 yds. You do need to clean them after the filthy.22LR session. It also makes a good field/survival gun that way.
    Now you've got me thinking........the faster twist might work great with Aguila 60gr subsonics if they feed and function with the conversion.The recommended twist rate for these is 1:9.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Again...the colt is not a Colt. It is a Umarex with a license to use the Colt name.

And what makes you think I got the SIG soemwhere else
    Blaire eyed reading I guess.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    Now you've got me thinking........the faster twist might work great with Aguila 60gr subsonics if they feed and function with the conversion.The recommended twist rate for these is 1:9.
    I've had mixed success with the 60 gr subs. They shoot OK but don't typically feed well in the AR conversion YMMV. I have had better luck in a 1 in 9" twist 10/22 barrel with a couple coils off the recoil spring.

I shoot 38 gr HP Aguila subs as a standard round for suppressed guns and they work very well with the conversions as long as you keep them clean and lubed....overnight in ATF and a brush off and you're ready to go again.

The 60 gr subs certainly penetrate well.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have an AR in 5.56 and use a CMG conversion bolt for it to fire .22lr.
    Changes out in seconds and I have never had a misfire using it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/