Thread: Road system coho DIY

Default Road system coho DIY

Looking for a new opportunity to explore for coho, preferrably where one can flyfish for them. Not however opposed to chucking hardware or floating eggs. Have fished lower KP for several years and 2 years in Kodiak. Really like Kodiak but the extra $350 from ANC sucks.
    Have considered Cordova but hard to find good info and I hear the car rentals are real beaters. Also have looked into POW, just haven't made it there yet. Usually can manage 10days on a budget of $2K, minus airfare. A day in the salt is always a bonus. Any suggestions!!!

Have you fished the Kenai or Kasilof for silvers?

1st trip was the Kenai in 06. Lower Kenai is not to kind to the flyfisher from what I experienced, however did get from a boat with eggs. Looking for smaller streams like the Anchor, Deep creek, etc.

I was always curious about how it is off Alison point in Valdez. I caught pinks there with flies but not silvers.

Col. F Rodder Couple options we like after doing the KP, Kodiak etc. Yakutat is very good. Several rivers to chose from. Some strictly outs. Fly out for the day from the KP. High Adventure Air, Natron Air. Got to find the Happy fish. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Akworkandfish View Post
    I was always curious about how it is off Alison point in Valdez. I caught pinks there with flies but not silvers.
    Its packed during the season. But very good fishery. Last year it was producing better than trolling the harbor. Also the old campground and city dock produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    1st trip was the Kenai in 06. Lower Kenai is not to kind to the flyfisher from what I experienced, however did get from a boat with eggs. Looking for smaller streams like the Anchor, Deep creek, etc.
    I love fly fishing the Middle Kenai for silvers, problem is you need a boat/raft in order to do so.
    Several years ago I really got into them good and it was soooooooo much fun.

Robe river outside Valdez is not too bad for silvers. A little hiking from the road, and some locals poaching, bear or two in tall grass. Its fast water farther from the road with large fish so it can't be all that bad.

The good thing about the rental cars in Cordova being beaters is that you don't have to drive far to get into fish. East of town you can fish from the road (forgot name of creek but its obvious) or get in a river boat and head down the Eyak. Duck hunting and silver fishing is pretty good. Look for posts by RingKing and he can point you in the right direction even though he is now in florida.

Default Valdez to Cordova

Along with this post has anyone made a combo out of stopping in Valdez to fish silvers, then ferry over to Cordova? From what I gather then last week August Valdez, then 1st week Sept in Cordova. Figure a car rental from ANC is better for cost, then a flight and a beater in Cordova.

sent you a pm..
    dave

POW has good silver fishing up into October

I love fly fishing the Middle Kenai for silvers, problem is you need a boat/raft in order to do so.
    Several years ago I really got into them good and it was soooooooo much fun.

What a hog...!!! Excellent....!!!