Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite jig color?

Default Favorite jig color?

As many of you know I am making a bunch of my own jigs this year for Halibut,Rockfish,lings,etc.
    I am curious as to everyones favorite jig colors are?
    Mine Are white and plain glow in the dark. I also like a Glow orange.
    The colors I currently have are white,black,flame red,hot pink,green,brown,chartreuse,super glow white, super glow orange, and silver.
    I can order most any color though and this is just what I currently have at home.
    So what colors do you guys like? What is your go to jig color?
    Also what is your favorite skirt and/or grub color to go on your favorite jig?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I really like strait chrome. I got some 5 ounce ZZingers last year in chrome and couldn't keep them in the water. I had a 10" one that I had for 4 years and it killed the lings, but my son lost it last year with in 5 minutes of the first time I let him use it. They don't make them that large any more. I was using them for Rock fish and killing them, and on three passes in a row, as I put my pole in the holder and left about 30' of line on as I began to reposition at trolling speed, I caught silvers as fast as I could reel them in.

To a degree I think it really doesn't matter. But I'm kinda partial to the 4 patterns on the right of this pic

Here's one I picked up a 3 pack of off of flea bay, but unfortunately the rocks claimed all of them

As you can see, I use a little bit of everything

Actually more than a little bit as I've got quite a few more

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

As far as favorite skirt and grub colors, I've been using a variety of colors of grubs and shads.

My first choice is a white grub, but green, chartreuse, blue/white, and rootbeer catch fish.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I really like strait chrome. I got some 5 ounce ZZingers last year in chrome and couldn't keep them in the water. I had a 10" one that I had for 4 years and it killed the lings, but my son lost it last year with in 5 minutes of the first time I let him use it. They don't make them that large any more. I was using them for Rock fish and killing them, and on three passes in a row, as I put my pole in the holder and left about 30' of line on as I began to reposition at trolling speed, I caught silvers as fast as I could reel them in.
    I can get chrome powder paints. Some of the more extreme reflective/shimmer type paint jobs may be a bit challenging though.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    As many of you know I am making a bunch of my own jigs this year for Halibut,Rockfish,lings,etc.
    I am curious as to everyones favorite jig colors are?
    Mine Are white and plain glow in the dark. I also like a Glow orange.
    The colors I currently have are white,black,flame red,hot pink,green,brown,chartreuse,super glow white, super glow orange, and silver.
    I can order most any color though and this is just what I currently have at home.
    So what colors do you guys like? What is your go to jig color?
    Also what is your favorite skirt and/or grub color to go on your favorite jig?
    I'm real partial to green/white like the one that's fourth from the left in Paul's last photo. We keep dozens on the boat in a whole range of colors and sizes, then fish them against each other to find which is best on a given day. Nine times out of ten it's that green/white that ends up on all the rods. That goes for jigging kings and silvers too, as well as for halibut.

Fourth from the left as well on Paul's pic. That is by far my favorite color

For Lings I like the following
    solid colors
    black
    cinnamon
    white
    chartuse

Mixed
    white /red head
    white/ blue head
    smoke/ either red or blue
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

LOL! I love this thread. I think if you put everyone's favorites all together you'd get just about every color that they're made in. I guess it just goes to show you how fickle fish can be. Personally I'm partial to "glow" colors and I think kasilofchris is the only person before me that has mentioned that. I also like cinnamon. The question I have is, if you are jigging more than 30 or 40 ft. down can you even tell a difference in color? I have always heard that you can't distinguish color under water after that depth. I have heard that black can be advantageous because it WILL show up to fish better at depth.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

How far down colors can be seen depends on the color, how clear the water is, and how much sunlight is hitting the water. Then again, there is a reason fish are colored they way they are, and why predators such as halibut and lingcod have camaflaged color patterns.

I've scuba dove to over 100' in Hawaii and the colors are still fairly vivid at that depth, but that is exceptionally clear water.

I can't figure why fish seem to favor one color over another, but I'm sure everyone has had a day where they can drop pretty much anything and catch a fish, and other days where you're trying everything in the tackle box before you find the magic lure. Whether or not that lure is magic because of it's color, or whether or not the fish finally decided to bite at that time is up to speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    How far down colors can be seen depends on the color, how clear the water is, and how much sunlight is hitting the water. Then again, there is a reason fish are colored they way they are, and why predators such as halibut and lingcod have camaflaged color patterns.

I've scuba dove to over 100' in Hawaii and the colors are still fairly vivid at that depth, but that is exceptionally clear water.

I can't figure why fish seem to favor one color over another, but I'm sure everyone has had a day where they can drop pretty much anything and catch a fish, and other days where you're trying everything in the tackle box before you find the magic lure. Whether or not that lure is magic because of it's color, or whether or not the fish finally decided to bite at that time is up to speculation.
    Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I doubt seriously that if you're jigging 200 or more feet down in Cook Inlet that color is going to be a major factor, but I am not an oceanographer and sure wouldn't want to swear to that.

But it certainly is interesting how one particular jig, or bait, can produce wonderfully one day and then the next just totally strike out. As I'm sure almost everyone here can attest to, I've had days when octo seemed to be the hot ticket and then the next they won't even touch it. I guess you could call it the "fickle finger of fish fate."

I definitely have "favorites" but I also keep a full arsenal at hand for those days my favorites don't work.

I understood what you meant, and I agree I wouldn't expect color to play that big of a role vs. the shape and action of the jig.

Two reasons to a have a little bit of everyhing. One is on those days you can't buy a bite you can at least have fun trying out something you rarely use. Two is when your buddy or kid looses your favorite lure to the rocks it tends to tick you off, whereas if you give them one of your less than favorite lures you can figure they did you a favor by loosing a jig that you weren't so fond of

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I understood what you meant, and I agree I wouldn't expect color to play that big of a role vs. the shape and action of the jig.

Two reasons to a have a little bit of everyhing. One is on those days you can't buy a bite you can at least have fun trying out something you rarely use. Two is when your buddy or kid looses your favorite lure to the rocks it tends to tick you off, whereas if you give them one of your less than favorite lures you can figure they did you a favor by loosing a jig that you weren't so fond of
    Unfortunately I'm afraid I'M the one that usually loses my favorite jig! Dohhhhhh!

Default favorite color is green

I don't think it matters much what color you use, but it does matter how much green you can waste buying a jig.
    studies have shown: the more expensive they are................the more likely they are to get snagged and lost.

good jigs can be made with cement filled copper pipe, rebar, scrap metal, etc.......
    like shiny jigs? use chrome or SS pipe
    the next best jigs are from garage sales for less than $2

hang a bit of scent pad for cheap extra kick.

I swear it: the more they cost the faster you lose them .......................

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I don't think it matters much what color you use, but it does matter how much green you can waste buying a jig.
    studies have shown: the more expensive they are................the more likely they are to get snagged and lost.

good jigs can be made with cement filled copper pipe, rebar, scrap metal, etc.......
    like shiny jigs? use chrome or SS pipe
    the next best jigs are from garage sales for less than $2

hang a bit of scent pad for cheap extra kick.

I swear it: the more they cost the faster you lose them .......................
    I can certainly attest to that! My favorite "scent pad" is a strip of octopus that's been soaked in herring oil. Double trouble!

Thanks for the replys guys. I can definetly make the green(Chartruese actually) and white as I already have those colors.
    As for Pauls shiny finishes I can get those paints but they may be harder to apply.
    I understand the whole color at depth debate. I think there are times it matters and times it doesn't.
    I believe sometimes any lure you have confidence in can be the ticket. It may have nothing to do with color but lure shape and/or presentation.
    If you have confidence in it can make a bigger difference than color,shape,size,etc. sometimes.
    Then again if you have confidence in something wether it is size,shape,color,etc then it probably pays to keep a few of those around just for the sake of having something around you have complete confidence in. with that lure you will likely pay better attention to what you are doing and do better with it in the long run.
    But back to the original topic it is fun to make these lures and paint them. Having 40 plain white or black jigs in my box would look boring. Giving myself and those fishing in my boat lots of choices is part of the fun of it all.
    Then again I can get white and black paint for dirt cheap from harbor freight.
    I once had a 5 year old in my boat pick out 5 completly different jigs in a row and all caught a halibut immediatly after hitting the bottom. During the same time frame his parents only caught 1 or 2 fish between the two of them using weights and bait.
    I just put the rod in the holder and let him winch them up. That was a great day on the inlet for sure.
    Thanks for the color ideas guys and keep them coming.

This is kind of going of topic, but one thing that never fails to amaze me is that when I take clients out for halibut it always seems like one particular person will just not be able to keep fish off their line when everyone else tries every trick in the book and will struggle to make their limit. And it doesn't matter if that person is an experienced fisherperson or someone that has never caught a fish in their life. I don't think I can count the number of times I've gone out and this big macho guy that tells me he's been fishing all his life will get "out caught" by his petite little wife that's never even been fishing. It's pretty funny how that happens.

The reason that is is becasue the big macho guy thinks he knows what he's doing and does not listen to the professional guide. The little petite lady listens to every instruction and catches more fish. On the other hand, if they are like me, I spend more time helping the wife and kids and always get outfished. Lately though my son, now 11 can handle himself so I get to fish a little more.

Back to subject though...my favorite jig color always has blue in it. That worked best when I started jigging for Tuna in Okinawa, and then continued when I jigged for Amberjack in South Carolina. I have not been fishing here in Alaska yet, only been here 6 months, but I'm looking forward to trying my luck at jigging. I did buy some basic glow jigs, silver and a blue metal jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Snider View Post
    Back to subject though...my favorite jig color always has blue in it. That worked best when I started jigging for Tuna in Okinawa, and then continued when I jigged for Amberjack in South Carolina. I have not been fishing here in Alaska yet, only been here 6 months, but I'm looking forward to trying my luck at jigging. I did buy some basic glow jigs, silver and a blue metal jig.
    A little insight you might like to keep an eye on, based on my own experience and fitting hand-in-glove with yours. The spots you cite are all "tropical" and sunny for the most part. In fact, on bright days up here blue is a hot color whether trolling for kings and silvers or jigging for halibut. But on overcast days, days with lots of chop on the water, or early and late in the day when light levels are low, swap for some shade of green. I tend to go dark green in the really shallows and head for chartreuse once the depth gets past about 20'. That's critical in shallow water less than 60-80' in my experience, but for some weird reason it stretches into deeper water too.

I'm obviously speaking for my home waters, but I'd be surprised if it weren't more universal than that.

I ran a color test in Hawaii. I wore a multicolor shirt and went down in the Submarine. The colors held up pretty good except red. The reds turned gray at about 60 feet. (We went down to about 120 feet.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast