Thread: Any luck in Res Bay yet?

Default Any luck in Res Bay yet?

Howdy all,
    I've probably got time for a day trip this weekend, and Homer seems a little too far from Anchorage for a one day excursion. Has anyone had any luck finding fish around Res Bay yet? Too early?

Thanks!

I'm trying to decide if I should hit Seward or Whittier this Friday and Saturday. WIll be my first time fishing in Alaska as I've only been here since 25 Oct. I thinking of targeting Rockfish and if I get lucky maybe a Halibut. Gotta hope my boat is ready tomorrow as I just dropped it off today at Marita to have my kicker motor bracket installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy all,
    I've probably got time for a day trip this weekend, and Homer seems a little too far from Anchorage for a one day excursion. Has anyone had any luck finding fish around Res Bay yet? Too early?

Thanks!
    Once again I'm not sure why people choose to not answer questions like yours. Guess they're too busy arguing about the merits of catching, or not catching, various sized halibut. I, as most people here know, am biased toward Homer, and it's why I live here now. So I can't really give you any first hand advice on fishing in Res Bay right now. But I believe there was another thread recently regarding where to go in Res Bay at this time of year. Try doing a search for it. I do know from past experience (I used to fish Res Bay almost exclusively) that you might get lucky and find a king around the outer fringes of the bay if you fell like putting the time in to troll for them, and if you poke around enough you should find some nice chickens, too. Probably your best bet would be out around the islands. Good luck! And let us know how you do!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I was just out in seward last weekend. Only for a few hours and just around tonsina creek. I soaked a hearing on the bottom for awhile and Trolled a small green Mepps around. Didn't catch anything. Most of the books out there suggest Res bay doesn't really get anything in it till mid-may, and that being sea run Charr and Kings which I don't think are real hot and heavy in there anyhow. I always think of Res bay as a late summer/fall fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I was just out in seward last weekend. Only for a few hours and just around tonsina creek. I soaked a hearing on the bottom for awhile and Trolled a small green Mepps around. Didn't catch anything. Most of the books out there suggest Res bay doesn't really get anything in it till mid-may, and that being sea run Charr and Kings which I don't think are real hot and heavy in there anyhow. I always think of Res bay as a late summer/fall fishery.
    Yeah, fishing that close in (Tonsina area) at this time of year isn't going to be productive at all. You really need to get out past Fox Is. for any chance of catching anything worthwhile.

But I would certainly not consider Res Bay to be a "late summer/fall fishery" by any means unless you're talking about the inner bay (from about Caines Head in to town). When I was living in Anchorage I used to fish Res Bay every year from about mid-June on and would typically start catching silvers out around Pony Cove then. If I remember correctly the first silver I ever caught out there was about June 17th. If you have a boat that can get you out there it's a great place to go.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

There are halibut and rockfish available out of Seward inside the bay....will get better in Maye but they are there now. Kings are spotty at best. Just wade through the arrowtooth and cod and you`ll find `em. BTW, halibut fishing in the bay works better with the current running...at slack the arrowtooth take over.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff