Thread: Gonna take the Kayak out of Homer this weekend

Default Gonna take the Kayak out of Homer this weekend

Anyone Know some spots somewhat close to shore in homer I can take my Kayak out to? The weather looks great for the weekend so I don't mind venturing out aways. Im willing to travel a few miles out, with calm seas I could do that in an hour. Id like to find the kelp beds, the bluffs or some other halibut spot. Id like to fish along anchor point. The tides are pretty strong this weekend, and those pesky king zone areas are a nuisance for a guy with out a motor! Im also looking for access points that are open to a guy with a wheeler and a kayak. Id like to take advantage of the portability thing.

Also a place where I can pitch my tent would be great too. Ill probably head down thursday night/early friday

I've been itching to fish the salt also but will have to wait until 2nd week of May. Marine forecast is 10 and 3 on friday for K-bay. Stay safe

I wouldn't bother going all the way to homer. Try launching out of deep creek or anchor river and paddling out a few hundred yards. You'll be right on top of prime halibut grounds and in a position where if the seas do kick up it's only a few minutes paddle back to shore. It would even be worth just trolling some herring around for feeder/early arriving spawner kings. Anchor river has some nice camp spots sheltered from the weather, or you could just pitch camp on the beach. If you do go out of homer, paddle a few miles out straight from the harbor across the bay and fish the rocks.

Good luck and let us know how you do

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Anyone Know some spots somewhat close to shore in homer I can take my Kayak out to? The weather looks great for the weekend so I don't mind venturing out aways. Im willing to travel a few miles out, with calm seas I could do that in an hour. Id like to find the kelp beds, the bluffs or some other halibut spot. Id like to fish along anchor point. The tides are pretty strong this weekend, and those pesky king zone areas are a nuisance for a guy with out a motor! Im also looking for access points that are open to a guy with a wheeler and a kayak. Id like to take advantage of the portability thing.
    If you're interested in kings and can make it across the bay, the area around Anisom Pt. can be good for kings. I've caught kings up into the 20 lb. plus area there. There is a lot of beach over there that I think you could pitch a tent on without too much trouble.

Then of course there is the Bluffs. I'm not sure what you mean by a "wheeler", but if you mean motorized transport then you should be able to make it up there at low tide and, once again, there is a lot of beach up there and I'm sure you could pitch a tent somewhere. It is also accessible from the Anchor Point beach. In fact it might even be closer to do it from that end. I've never done it either way so can't talk from experience. That area is a great area to fish for kings and you don't have to be that far off of shore. Here's a king I caught off the Bluffs yesterday:

Attachment 59126

I was in about 70 feet of water and was down about 40 ft. with a herring. I saw a friend of mine out there while I was trolling and she had caught and released 2 kings about the same size, so they're out there.

As for halibut, at this time of year they're mostly pretty far out, but that doesn't mean there aren't any around off the Bluffs and further up toward Anchor off the kelp beds. It would certainly merit a try and you might just get lucky. I pulled these in yesterday about 5 or so miles out from the Bluffs and in about 150 ft. of water, so that might be a bit out of reach for a kayak:

2 butt.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    Marine forecast is 10 and 3 on friday for K-bay. Stay safe
    Like I've said before, in my experience the NOAA marine forecast is very unreliable. Like maybe about correct about a third of the time. And it can go both ways---they will say it's going to be 5 ft. and in actuality it will by a foot or two. Then they might say it's going to be 2 ft. and it ends up being 5 ft. Generally speaking if they say it's going to be 1 ft. it won't be too bad and if they say 8 ft. you can bet on it being pretty big out there. Use all the forecasting tools you can and make a decision that way.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    I wouldn't bother going all the way to homer. Try launching out of deep creek or anchor river and paddling out a few hundred yards. You'll be right on top of prime halibut grounds and in a position where if the seas do kick up it's only a few minutes paddle back to shore. It would even be worth just trolling some herring around for feeder/early arriving spawner kings. Anchor river has some nice camp spots sheltered from the weather, or you could just pitch camp on the beach. If you do go out of homer, paddle a few miles out straight from the harbor across the bay and fish the rocks.

Good luck and let us know how you do
    I am not being disparaging about the fishing off of either place---I've caught some really nice halibut and kings off of Anchor---but it might be a little early. If given a choice at THIS time or year I'd lean toward fishing out of Homer. I'm not saying you wouldn't have any luck for either butt or kings, but I'd still lean toward Homer.

And do let us know what you do and how you did. FISH ON!

As of April first the 2 mile mark beach closure is in effect for Anchor, Dp Crk, Ninilchik rivers. The fishing closure extends one mile from shore in this area for all fishing. Keep it in mind.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    As of April first the 2 mile mark beach closure is in effect for Anchor, Dp Crk, Ninilchik rivers. The fishing closure extends one mile from shore in this area for all fishing. Keep it in mind.
    Excellent point for those unaware. Though if you launch at the Anchor Pt. access and head toward Homer you don't have far to go before you find the red marker sign. Or if you launch at Whiskey Gulch you are in the "fishable" zone right there. And of course if you launch anywhere from Homer up to Bluff Pt. you're not going to have to worry about it unless you paddle your kayak up as far as Anchor Pt.

It's not to early off anchor, caught a nice slab a week ago Monday in 27 feet of water at the south marker off anchor. The markers are not out yet so you would need to make sure you have ability to know where you are. Also have hear reports of fish being caught further up the inlet. Be redy for 4 knots of current, might be tricky in a yak.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    It's not to early off anchor, caught a nice slab a week ago Monday in 27 feet of water at the south marker off anchor. The markers are not out yet so you would need to make sure you have ability to know where you are. Also have hear reports of fish being caught further up the inlet. Be redy for 4 knots of current, might be tricky in a yak.
    Yeah, at this point in the season the south marker (when they put it up!) can be a lot more productive than the north, though it won't be long. Thanks for the report.

What I like to do to be sure I'm not in the "no fish" zone is find the latitude for the markers on my GPS (59 48.92 for the north marker and 59 45.92 for the south) and then mark a spot 2 miles away. That way I can just glance at my GPS and not have to bother looking for the marker on land.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334969393.026470.jpgWell went clear out to the bluffs. Fished hard but nothing to show for it other than some pics and I probably lost a few pounds too. Going out to anchor point tomorrow with a couple other kayak buddies. Hopefully a connection will be made.

okay, so i think i saw you off the high bluff when i went by on my way to diamond creek at about 10:20... i watched the "obsession" net 4 and go home, cliffhanger got one next to me, but i got zip. moved to yukon , then tried the can as as last resort but no luck.
    sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    okay, so i think i saw you off the high bluff when i went by on my way to diamond creek at about 10:20... i watched the "obsession" net 4 and go home, cliffhanger got one next to me, but i got zip. moved to yukon , then tried the can as as last resort but no luck.
    sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug....
    LOL! I glanced out my kitchen window this afternoon and could see a dot near the green can, so I picked up my binocs to take a look and saw the unmistakeable shape of your boat, Dave.