Thread: 3 Reasons not to move to Kenai

Default 3 Reasons not to move to Kenai

Within the next year I might have a chance to relocate from Fairbanks to Kenai. I can think of lots of reasons to go for it. From someone whose lived there what are some of the negatives.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

July?

Hmmmm. ***IN Kenai****Worse hunting , better fishing. Better climate, more snow. Lower overall cost of living, slightly lower crime rate, though both are higher than national average. Very good school district in Kenai, if that applies. Fewer people. Lots of different kinds of outdoor recreation. By the numbers, Kenai has Fairbanks beat, but I've heard many people rave about Fairbanks, how awesome it is, pretty much none about Kenai. I'd love to have a cabin somewhere up around Fairbanks for "Moose-Caribou Camp", and keep my cabin here on the KP for "Fishcamp". That's not asking too much, is it?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

- Lotsa people crammed into a small space with limited roads;
    - Anchorage's back yard for most of the summer;
    - tourist RVs in long convoys;
    - hunting (except for b-bear and small game) sucks;
    - other than salmon... and mostly reds at that... fishing is not that great. Halibut are getting harder to catch;
    - not many ducks/geese to speak of.

But the people are great here, and after the crowds go home in late August, we have one of the most beautiful places in Alaska to ourselves. The winters are fairly mild too. There are many things I like about the Kenai, but fishing and hunting no longer top the list.

I grew up in Fairbanks. Great place and lots of hunting with few people.
    Then, I spent 10 years in SE Alaska. Wrangell and Sitka primarily. Great outdoor area!
    Also 10 winters crabbing and fishing out of Dutch. Not much good or bad to say. Just a place to work...never live!
    I hunted, fished and worked in dozens more Alaska area's.
    Then 10 years in Kenai. By and far the most limited outdoor opportunity area I found in the State. Fishing for salmon is always a fight around crowds. Roads are crazy all summer, and hunting choices are limited, with a lot of land use issus. Never really felt I was free down there. But really decent people and schools.
    I like where I'm at now. Far from the crowds, but on the South Side of the Alaska Range where the temps aren't too cold!

I agree with Sayak on his evaluation 100%.

I'm sure whatever you choose, things are what you make them. It would be a nice change of scenery for you to give it a try.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    July?
    That was exactly the first answer that came to my mind as well!

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    July?
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Yeah, I was already counting on spending a few weeks in July back in Fairbanks visiting. No where in AK has nicer summers when its not smokey from wildfires.

Last year I drove over 2,000 miles for fishing trips to Chitina, Valdez and Talketna. Except for pike there are no real fishing opportunities near Fairbanks. I do not count bait sized stocked fish.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I don't live in Kenai but work there. The main thing I HATE about Kenai is it's da*n near always windy. I can leave my place and it be beautiful, but get to Kenai and the wind is blowing 30. Add that wind in the winter and I don't have to tell you...

One other thing......we can have pretty rainy summers down here. I fell in LOVE with the Fairbanks weather last Aug. when I took my daughter to USF. It was in the high 70s at 8:00PM pretty much the whole time we were there.

Los Anchorage
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Los Anchorage
    Sorry, but Kenai, or THE Kenai isn't anywhere near like Los Anchorage.....If it was I sure as hell wouldn't live here......

Grayling are you talking the city of Kenai as things there are even different then just ten miles away in Soldotna..hard to add much to what sayak posted. I moved to Kenai in 89 and boy was it different then. Now local fishing holes arent so local,most huntin is down the tubes. Althoug its nice to go to the streams and lakes in summer as most target salmon be even those are getting crowded.

I too, agree with Sayak. Summer traffic is bad. Hunting/fishing not what it used to be. Land issues. That said, I've spent time in Cordova, Kodiak, Glennallen,Seward, Anchorage, Valdez, Mat Su, Homer, Anchor Pt. There was good and not so good in all of them. But I enjoyed everyone of them I was at. You just have to look for what u like. I've had a home out of Ninilchik for 12 yrs now and just love it. River right below the house. Salt water 5 minutes away for clams, halibut, etc. Put the boat in WHEN the water looks right. I still find places to do my duck hunting and fishing to stay out of the crowds. In fact, the wife and I laugh when the crowds are out. We used to be THEM. (Made those wkend runs every wkend from April to Oct from Anchorage) Now we live here and take those 'crowded' days off. Too bad our moose hunting is getting so bad. I do alot of 'odd' hunting/fishing that makes it really enjoyable for me. I dont think I would want to live IN Kenai. I'd get out a town a bit. Too busy for me. I like the elbow room down here (compared to Kenai, anyhow) and BOY does it EVER clear out from Sept- May. Love it! I would have been pretty happy in any of the places I've spent time. You just find what u like.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry, but Kenai, or THE Kenai isn't anywhere near like Los Anchorage.....If it was I sure as hell wouldn't live here......
    But its near by Alaska miles and the road is well traveled.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's Kenai, Kenai, Kenai. There ya go; three reasons not to move.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...