Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 Grizzly / Brown Bear Outfitter Wendell Runyon

Default Unit 13 Grizzly / Brown Bear Outfitter Wendell Runyon

I heard about this outfit from a guy who went last year and saw 17 griz in 4 days and took a gorgeous 8' boar. All I know is that it is a fly-in hunt in the Talkeetnas with camp along the head of the river at the base of a glacier.

Does anyone know anything about this area or outfitter Wendell Runyon? I understand that he has been a guide for a while but recently bought this operation. Or maybe someone knows the guy he bought the outfit from?

I am considering a hunt with him this late September and would appreciate any info. Thanks!

ya i know wendell....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Outfitters are not usually talked about, due to certain forum regs.(not allowing negitive post) You need to post more to get to PM level, then people will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya i know wendell....
    Is he kin to Dick.......???

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Outfitters are not usually talked about, due to certain forum regs.(not allowing negitive post) You need to post more to get to PM level, then people will respond.
    Or furnish your email address.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Don't know the guide. Don't know the 'head of a river at the base of a glacier'. However, I know a few subunits of 13 very well and those are really good numbers (17 diff. in 4 days). The only time I've seen #s like that is when the bears are rubbed and of poor trophy quality, densely concentrated on salmon streams in July/August. But who knows, it's a huge area and I don't know where he hunts.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Where is this guide from?? He relly seems to have a lay of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Don't know the guide. Don't know the 'head of a river at the base of a glacier'. However, I know a few subunits of 13 very well and those are really good numbers (17 diff. in 4 days). The only time I've seen #s like that is when the bears are rubbed and of poor trophy quality, densely concentrated on salmon streams in July/August. But who knows, it's a huge area and I don't know where he hunts.
    I would be cautious as to those numbers as sockeye has said.I guided in areas with very high densities of griz and it would be pushin it. are they countin cubs in those numbers also. I would be sure as with any guide to ask for references.. and I will go one better always ask for unsuccessful references...successful hunters are almost always happy.... unsucessfull hunters will usually have a better overall opinion

Has he moved to Alaska or still live in Virginia?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

he's been in virgina for the last 20 years almost i think.
    i've seen 14 bears in one day, counting cubs and i've seen no bears in a couple weeks...i've seen no bears for 7 days then on the 8th day seen 21in one day in the same spot i was in for the previous 7....bears are weird. 17 in 4 days is a good trip for sure, but not one i'd set my expectations on.
    the head of the river near the glacier is a pretty good spot...wendell knows his stuff. but i can't comment on how he runs his business or his ethics....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    he's been in virgina for the last 20 years almost i think.
    i've seen 14 bears in one day, counting cubs and i've seen no bears in a couple weeks...i've seen no bears for 7 days then on the 8th day seen 21in one day in the same spot i was in for the previous 7....bears are weird. 17 in 4 days is a good trip for sure, but not one i'd set my expectations on.
    the head of the river near the glacier is a pretty good spot...wendell knows his stuff. but i can't comment on how he runs his business or his ethics....
    yup agreed just always hate when someone is told these high numbers, kind of sets expectations up pretty high and when things are slow (as we know happens when it comes to bears at times) it gets hunters down and discouraged and thats not fun for them...kind of like should of been here last week the fish were running great.
    Op do your homework and I am sure you will have the time of your life..bear hunting in one of the most amazing hunts in north America. If it doesnt work out with Wendell or you want to consider some other choices there are a few guides that hang around here..^^^^^^ see above post

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    yup agreed just always hate when someone is told these high numbers, kind of sets expectations up pretty high and when things are slow (as we know happens when it comes to bears at times) it gets hunters down and discouraged and thats not fun for them...kind of like should of been here last week the fish were running great.
    Op do your homework and I am sure you will have the time of your life..bear hunting in one of the most amazing hunts in north America. If it doesnt work out with Wendell or you want to consider some other choices there are a few guides that hang around here..^^^^^^ see above post
    Great post hope the OP pays attention and does his research! If I was paying that kind of money I would be spending a lot of time researching the guys past clients as well as everything I could find on the internet. I am starting to feel the same way about taxidermist in this state with the way things are going with what seems to be a large number of them.

I'll poach.

Check out Black River Hunting Camps. Jakes a Long time guide, hard worker and goes the extra mile. I learned that first hand and hunting wasn't part of the equation. Rumor has it he goes by BRWNBR on a few local forums.

Wait are we allowed positive guiding feedback??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Jake is this what your talking about...lol

Ya I would for sure use one of the regulars on this forum.Joe would be great so someone would be older than me but then he might call me a punk pup and get a move on.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I agree with TWB. Jake is hard working and hard hunting kind of guy and has been guiding in Unit 13 for a pile of years! Never seen him with an unhappy client, as he likes to have fun all day every day.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Jake is this what your talking about...lol
    No, this But I took the picture in July when the pelts were rubbed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    Yea, there's no guides in Alaska that we have anything good to say about. So we can't comment about them except thru PMs. Well the 1 or 2 guides who are regular members here and post to help us get our kills are OK................but that's it.
    Runyun should be able to provide references. Probably some way to check if he has had any past violations. Perhaps you will get lucky and someone who has used him will chime in. Most forum members are residents of Alaska and very few have ever hired a guide. Most consider guides competition!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i helped a guy get a kill once so i'm one of the good ones....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast