Thread: Cod Jigging By-catch 2012

Charterboat Operator

Default Cod Jigging By-catch 2012

Catching some great fish along the way this Jig season! here's a Giant Wolf fish, he was a real scrapper!! this halibut was close to a Buck 60 buck 75! Im just trying to get all those hooks out without going for a ride!!

These were caught ought a Seward or homer ? Awesome fish. I like that wolf fish!

Charterboat Operator

Sorry!! First time I have ever posted a new thread!! Yes the fish were caught in K-Bay out of Homer.

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 59120Attachment 59121This little Hali here wasn't to big maybe 75lbs but in really good shape and very strong

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 59122Attachment 59123I don't know how big these guy's were the Hali on the left was easy to release! and maybe100lbs? and the one on the right had me in a sketchy situation, it's hard enough to let big halibut go with one hook in them! this one had 3 or 4 but I pulled it off!! all these fish left my boat alive and well!!!

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 59124Here's one more shot of the eel close up for those of you who have never caught one, real cool skin! feels weird!!

Charterboat Operator

hmmmm, using squid? Per another thread, dont you know there are no squid in K-Bay?????

Charterboat Operator

I usually will not use squid when I'm targeting Big Halibut, but these ladies sure didn't mind it!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    hmmmm, using squid? Per another thread, dont you know there are no squid in K-Bay?????
    LOL! And I NEVER use squid in K-Bay for halibut!! And I have a nice bridge I'd be willing to sell you right in the middle of New York City. And some beautiful land in south Florida that I'd be willing to let go of cheap.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Charterboat Operator

Squid has been good but comes off with just a few fish, Octo strips work well and are bringing in 6-8 fish most of the time without being replaced. I try to use both well Jigging..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    Squid has been good but comes off with just a few fish, Octo strips work well and are bringing in 6-8 fish most of the time without being replaced.
    Couldn't agree more on that one. The only problem that I ever have with octo is that on a muddy bottom it can get dirty really quickly. I don't know if the fish care or not, but if it gets muddy I'll just throw a new piece on. You sure can't beat how many fish you can catch with one piece.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com