Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking for opinions on atv type

Default Asking for opinions on atv type

I am in the market for an atv for hunting. I believe I have narrowed down to either a 4 wheeler or a 6 wheeler. This will be used to transport 2 hunters wife and I and spike camp gear and to retrieve the bounty from the field.

Can't ever go wrong with a ranger or if u wanna spend some coin argos go almost anywhere

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.296315,-148.708688

I guess it depends on where you think you'll be hunting. I would go with a 4 wheeler but some of the places I go are pretty tight and I wouldn't be able to get into them with anything bigger. Then a trailer to go behind the 4 wheeler for your camp and meat. You're going to get a lot of people giving their idea of what the best make is but none of them are bad. I would stick to something with about a 500cc engine. You will never need anything bigger while out hunting. I have an 800 and I love it, it'll go anywhere and do anything but it's a bit much for hunting. I bought a 500 to use for that and now my 800 is only used for plowing the driveway. When you get stuck it's a lot easier to get out something that is a bit lighter. I think a 500 with a 3000lb or 3500lb winch is one of the best set ups. Before i bought my 500 I would take the wifes 350 sometimes instead of my 800 and even hers hauled everything i needed, and it was a lot easier to manuever in some places.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I agree on the Ranger. You and wife can sit side by side, get out of the weather with a roof and windshield and she can bring the kitchen sink her and you will have the room. You will have room to pack out a moose and still bring the kitchen sink back with you if you pack right or get or fabricate extended sides. There is no thumb throttle soreness, and your butt stays nice and warm since your sitting on the engine. Its cheaper than buying two ATV's with many more benifits IMO and most others who own one as well.

I really like the Ranger Crew's. I have two of them now and thought they would only be good for tours, but I find myself using it for all my hunting, as I can pack everything I could possibly want, plus I can fit 4 people comfortably, and up to 8 if I use the cabela's seat I put in the back. They go everywhere a wheeler would go, at least in the area I'm in. I have the soft cab, heater and winch. I would only go with the hard cab for any future purchases I may make. The soft cabs just don't hold up to brush as well as I had hoped.

Goodl luck with whatever you get!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

yamaha big bear is the best dead for a new 4 wheeler, brand new with a basic package (manual tranny, racks no power steering or any of that garbage) its around 6000 form the dealer, with a winch its just a couple hundred more. we have an old wolverine (same basic thing) and you can truly do anything with it, we logged with it for years, cleared our land, clear other peoples land, taken it through swamps and filled the cylinder with water, tok the spark plug out and turned it up on its side and turned it over a few times to get the wear out, and it rfired right up, left it sitting all winter cause we had lost the oil cap, the next spring I found it and didn't know dusty had drained the oil out and I ran it for a few days. it was sitting in a snowbank all this winter cause it broke down and we never had time to work on it, my brother went out and fired it up with 2 pulls and it climbed right out no problems. As for packing stuff out, we have had 6 people with packs on it with no problems. had 2 moose legs on the back and one on the front no problems cursing through the woods. it is hands down the best wheeler we have ever had. the only think I don't like is its full time 4 wheel drive which isn't so door when driving it on the road.

all that to say the big bear is basically the same thing and I have done some stuff with it and its also a great 4 wheeler, pretty light so you can pick it up out of a hole, and its not something you would mind beating on.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

BTW I am not really bias for yamaha but thats just my opinion and its a beast, plus our 375cc gets about double the gas mileage that our 325 polaris gets and has about double the power.....power is what I forget to talk about, the 400 puts out more power that you can feel and can haul more than the 600's I have driven....it truly is a boss.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

and I hate side by sides.....I'm a wheeler man

I have a Polaris 450 a Arctic Cat 500 and a Brute Force 750 and I prefer the 500 even though the cats are a little heavy the low end torque rocks I still prefer this machine over the others when hunting. the 750 eats gas like a hog.

Its all preference but if I had it to do over I would have a Side by Side for hunting and camping back country.

Actually, the Big Bear is a 400 machine (386cc) and compared to the Sportsman 400 H.O.(455cc) it tows less (Big Bear towing is rated at 1100lbs, Sportsman is 1225lbs) and the yamaha is about $1000 more. Big Bear MSRP $6599, Sportsman MSRP $5699. Oh, and the one that should really put it over the top, Polaris is built in the U.S., Yamaha not so much (Japan). Sorry, I knew that it was going to turn into which model was best. I also forgot to mention that the Sportsman has about 3 inches more travel and an inch more ground clearance. Like I said before though, just about any machine nowadays will get you where you want to go. The SxS's are nice but most are alot wider than an atv. Some places you go in AK have weight restrictions also. I had a Kawasaki Mule Trans before, the one that has two bench seats. It was a great machine, I could haul everything in it and fit my whole family in it, it would sit 6 comfortably. The issue was the weight, which is not just the weight of the machine but the cargo capacity also. What kind of vehicle do you drive? Are you going to need a trailer to put an atv in? Are you going to want to just stick it in the bed of your truck instead of tow it to where you're going?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I've been riding Hondas my whole life; they are dead reliable, hard-working machines that will rarely let you down. That said, I like the newer Yamahas for the smooth ride, borrowed a friend's a few years ago, it was very sweet. Polaris and Suzuki is pure crap, IMO.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I'll also suggest a smaller machine like several here have done.... 400-500 class is plenty of power for hunting and way easier on gas. I hunted with a friend who rode an 800 Polaris...he used 3 times the fuel I did and in the conditions we were in the extra horsepower didn't help him a bit.

I've had a couple Honda Ranchers (420s) and a Can AM Max XT 400 that I really like.

I also had a Yamaha Rhino...but didn't like the weight or the width.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Lots of solutions out there including getting two smaller machines.

As for Argo, you'd have a SxS, watercraft (with limitations), and with tracks it can make quick work of swamp crossings and be used in deep snow. Add a trailer or sled and you can pull spike camp and your game in one trip. and the 8x8 has a nice volume of space.

The Argo may be a little wider than other options. What it can't go over ... it can pretty much go around. For every trail that it is too narrow (bridges), there are 10's or 100's of places the wheelers and other SxS don't commonly venture.

Yes, Argo's are slower on the hard pan than the other wheelers and SxS options ... and Argos don't have the suspension. With Argo, I see them trailered ... but doubt they can be hauled in the back of a pickup. I'd recommend staying up with the maintenance.

Argo's may not be the best thing for your use ... but then, they may create more opportunities.

Edit: I can't count the number of times we have traveled down the trail with one track on the upper bank of the trail and the other track between the ruts. Turn the machine and it pretty much crawls out of ruts. And they seem pretty stable (low center of gravity with the wide wheel width).

Take a look at the conditions out there. With an Argo w/ tracks, I would not be afraid to go out into the country with the snowmachines. At some point, people switch from their snow machines to their wheelers; and for a period of time . perhaps can use neither.

I don't have a ton of experience but iI sold on the 6x Polaris. Ran a 700 (or 750 )and a 500 last year with Alaska_Lanche and they were awesome. Ran a Honda 4x too and the 6x had it beat, big time. Plus it has a bed so you don't have to worry about the trailer, at all. 700 had serious balls but sucked gas compared to the 500.

If I'm ever in the market, 6x has my vote!

I've got two Kawasaki Brute Force 750's and love them. Two of my friends traded in their wheelers and bought brute forces after using mine. I couldn't endorse a product higher.

That being said...go with something in the 500 range. They are A) plenty powerful, B) more economical on gas, C) easier to get unstuck, D) more options on trailer/truck loading, E) less of a hit on the wallet.

The only way I would suggest something larger is if your body size dictated it for comfort.

I bought a new Yamaha Grizzly 450 last year. It's got power steering and a winch. It also has a differential lock. I love it. It does good on fuel, rides smooth, and goes thru stuff like a little tank! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another just like it.

Lots of talk on here about wheelers and I love it GREAT thread. Can anybody speak to the Diesel wheelers. Heard of them never seen one and never riden one. What do you guys think?

I have three early 2000's Yamaha Kodiaks and one Big Bear. Really like all of them, they've been in use in a marine environment for several years and no problems. I really like the locking differential, sometimes it is really nice to have true all four wheel drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky107 View Post
    I bought a new Yamaha Grizzly 450 last year. It's got power steering and a winch. It also has a differential lock. I love it. It does good on fuel, rides smooth, and goes thru stuff like a little tank! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another just like it.
    I bought the exact same thing......love it...!!! Yamaha has been the #1 seller the last 3-4 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    Lots of talk on here about wheelers and I love it GREAT thread. Can anybody speak to the Diesel wheelers. Heard of them never seen one and never riden one. What do you guys think?
    I saw one a couple years ago- Arctic Cat I think...sorta seemed like an answer in search of a question.

Maybe a good deal for a farmer or somebody that has bulk off-road diesel on tap...but for the AK hunter? I just don't see the point, particularly since it was centrifugally clutched...which left me scratching my head even more.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast