Thread: So who is still fishing on hardwater?

Default So who is still fishing on hardwater?

Just curious who else is still ice fishing. Im gonna go saturday and then put stuff up for the year. anyone got one last trip planned for this year?

Default Hard Luck

Yeah I am still going this weekend to Harding Lake, may be the last time??

This last saturday had the lake at 31 inches and firm with melting snow cover. I bet the lake has no cover by now and the sun out has the water and slush on top with the ice getting weaker by the day. It has been warm here and the local slough is opened up and grayling have started migrating in from the Chena.

Are you fishing the Interior? Not sure about anything down in South Central. I bet LL area is still good.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

i'll be down here in the south centeral. last saturday the ice was still plenty good. just had a layer of ice over a layer of water with probably 3 layers of it to go through. how do you think long lake up from palmer on the glenn would be? didn't get up there this year but if anyone know how the ice is there i may head up there this weekend.

I was out on Birch this past Sunday 4/15 and will be out again this weekend. The ice was around 40-45 inches thick about 300 yards south of the boat ramp. I was about three inches from needing my auger extension. I imagine the ice will be good for another couple weeks but this weekend will be my last hardwater outing. I do not want to be the last guy to test the ice and wind up wet and on the front page of News-Miner with just my tailgate showing.

Quote Originally Posted by akjack View Post
    I do not want to be the last guy to test the ice and wind up wet and on the front page of News-Miner with just my tailgate showing.
    Alcanron is on the front page on the News-Miner today...with a nice laker showing
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    i'll be down here in the south centeral. last saturday the ice was still plenty good. just had a layer of ice over a layer of water with probably 3 layers of it to go through. how do you think long lake up from palmer on the glenn would be? didn't get up there this year but if anyone know how the ice is there i may head up there this weekend.
    was woundering the same were gonna head out to long in the morn for a last trip of the year fish on !!!!!1

Well we basically struck out today. fished till about 12 and left as the ice was melting all around us. got put this morning and thought well that looks ok...got on the ice and it was well rather spongy. by the time we left it wasn't safe no more. we hit but pucker factor 12 today LOL. ( the thin ice would have worried me but we were only in about 3 foot of water anyway ). did have a good year though. caught lots of bows and 1 real nice char. how was long lake?

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Well we basically struck out today. fished till about 12 and left as the ice was melting all around us. got put this morning and thought well that looks ok...got on the ice and it was well rather spongy. by the time we left it wasn't safe no more. we hit but pucker factor 12 today LOL. ( the thin ice would have worried me but we were only in about 3 foot of water anyway ). did have a good year though. caught lots of bows and 1 real nice char. how was long lake?
    40 INCHES AT LEAST its was a little hairball at first then I drilled and seen there was so much smooth ice but by 330 we came off and the water at the parking lot had trippled there was also lots of ponds of overflow but all in all good day long is still a great day away from Los Anchorage