Thread: Tok sheep area

Default Tok sheep area

A buddy of mine just was contacted by F&G and informed that he won a Tok sheep tag, 1 of 6. I figured he was pulling my leg so I checked into it. Turns out he is dam lucky. He asked me to tag along and play pack mule. He is an older guy and has yet to harvest a ram. So hoping we can change that?
    I have hunted the area 3 times, but all of those areas have been claimed by other hunting parties. I am looking for information on the Johnson Glacier, Robertson Glacier, and Clearwater Creek. Anyone willing to share info please drop me a PM. Thanks, Justin

Where did these tags come from? Are these tags from people who have contacted F&G and said they can't go?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Where did these tags come from? Are these tags from people who have contacted F&G and said they can't go?
    I am a bit confused as well didn't know there was a Tok sheep tag that only had 6 permits?

And how do you get to "claim" an area?

Ya that's kinda interesting. If I took the huge effort to get onto the Johnson Glacier I wouldn't be leaving too easy. I'm also curious about this 6 permit thing and getting a call from ADF&G.

Justin,
    Robertson Glacier if you can get anybody to land you there this late in the transporter-schedule-game. If your hunting buddy has the late hunt, go as late as you dare... (Some hunter will already have that strip scheduled with 40 Mile and anybody else who goes there.)
    If Johnson RIVER (not Glacier) on thr TMA side, hike 7 to 9 miles south, up-river, looking for suitable approaches to the sheep country.
    When he does decide to kill a ram in that country, make sure the ram is in an area where it appears recoverable. Some rough stuff up there.
    Rams throughout.....

It is the TMA area. They handed out to many NR permits and in order to keep the ratio 10%NR to 90% resident tags they had to issue an extra 6 permits. No one lost tags they just issued 6 more. 3 early season & 3 late season. It was the 2nd degree kindren that I guess the computer didn't register as NR. Someone caught the error after the fact and thus 6 people had Christmas early.

"ATA" thanks for the advice. We are looking at two spots on the Johnson Glacier itself. Elting Creek is all ready booked up. The places I mentioned above are still not booked, as of yesterday. My buddy has the early season tag. Like I said he is an older guy and has always wanted a sheep. I am just trying to help him gather information on the few choices that remain to help him make a descion.

J...PM sent...AK-True

Ahhhh, Wow....what an opportunity.
    And with some fine hunting airstrip areas still avail!
    And how exceptionally cool of you to invest your time and research to help out a buddy! Good karma can exist.

Man Fish and Game can keep my valley cow tag money if they would mail me a tok sheep tag instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    And how do you get to "claim" an area?

Because 40 mile Air will only take one group in per season to each strip.

I demand a recount. All tags suspended until the drawing is redone.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I was actually praying my phone would ring after he hung up. No such luck. 40 mile is good about not stacking people up.

Thats funny I know someone who got one of those "special" tags also. As it turns out the late start to planning this hunt is a major set back as the reputable outfitters are booked. So we are looking for an alternative to flying, if anyone would like to PM any info that would be great. We have just about any mode of transport but a plane available to us we are motivated and not to old. But the late start has definatly put us a a huge disadvantage!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Man Fish and Game can keep my valley cow tag money if they would mail me a tok sheep tag instead!
    What would you do with that??

Some guys get all the luck,must be a great feeling to get a call F&G after the draw and get a tag like that!!!The draw gods picked me once this year,I wouldn't know what to do with two!!! Good luck to your buddy and good on ya for helping a guy out!!