Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hunting/Alaska Hunting Learning Books?

Default Recommend Hunting/Alaska Hunting Learning Books?

Does anyone have any Hunting/Alaska Hunting books that they would recommend to help get some book knowledge into my brain?

ODGamer tons of books right here on the sight...

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ex.php?cPath=1

"Hunting in Alaska......A Comprehensive guide" by Christopher Batin

"Sheep Hunting in Alaska" by Tony Russ

Ah - don't look to far, check out publications on this site then go to the store. I have many of them. It'll keep you busy and informed.
    Tony

Tons of books by Patrick F. McManus. Then do the opposite!

A lot of the books are geared toward specific critters which is pretty good to learn the basics. There is also a ton of info on ADFGs sight as well. Learn what you can but the bst was is to get out there and experience it.. right out side anchorage you can climb the hills and learn about sheep and goats... places on the Kenai where brownies fish( just dont peeve them off) moose are just about every where in the parks like kincaid in anchorage...sure you might not be ale to hunt them but it sure will help you in the field to learn...
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "Hunting in Alaska......A Comprehensive guide" by Christopher Batin

"Sheep Hunting in Alaska" by Tony Russ
    A friend and veteran hunter gave me a copy of Tony Russ's ""The Manual for Successful Hunters" when I started hunting a few years ago; good basic advice about gear, conditioning, preseason scouting and more. Russ remains one of my favorites. I think every book he's written is worthwhile. Batin's book is widely recommended and contains many game-specific tips.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 04-17-2012 at 21:38. Reason: edit

Mod Elan has the right idea, Patrick McManus is my favorite, it will keep you amused and entertained for hours!

Check out Mark Taylor's books too.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Tony Russ and Marc Taylor write excellent books with specific information.

lots of good ones out there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks guys. This will give me a good base to go off of and authors to look into. And Bear I know that nothing beats hands/eyes on experience but I like to do research as well to get the most info in my head so I know what to look for in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    Thanks guys. This will give me a good base to go off of and authors to look into. And Bear I know that nothing beats hands/eyes on experience but I like to do research as well to get the most info in my head so I know what to look for in the field.
    They go hand in hand for sure..after researching when you will get in the field and be like OH I see now..lol There were some pretty good books mentioned..

check you email....

Anything by Jim Rearden will have some good huntin' tales.....I believe he published a book in tandem with Alaska magazine back in the 60s or 70s that had a lot of good info. That mag is mostly trash now but still puts out good hunting stuff now and then; this month's has an article about trad bowhunting black bear.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

No ifs, ands, or butts about it, you HAVE to read "Alaska's Wolfman" by Jim Rearden. It will grab you from cover to cover...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Tons of books by Patrick F. McManus. Then do the opposite!

I don't know about doing the exact opposite or not, some of Pat and Retch's escapades sound a bit like our adventures.

I am only replying to this thread because i cant read anything else than Alaskan hunting books. By far the best book in the alaskan hunting world is Mike Stahans "Float Hunting Alaskas Wild Rivers". Even if you dont float hunt, it is the most informative book about alaskan hunting i have read yet. I also think it is the most recent full on Alaskan hunt book, so the info is very up to date and educational. I have also had some laughs and good reading in the "O **** We Are Going To Die, and O **** We Are Going To Die Too" series. Those kept me through the last winter.....Maybe we will start seeing more hunting books coming on the market...I will write my own for fun when i get enough stories and experience, but that wont be for awhile.......good luck hunting

Older books your learn how Alaska was in the golden years.Modern books show how it is today with most of the ugly truth left out. Biggest difference today are the words ( I have as much right)
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

There is ugly truth in the past as well. Shooting sheep, hacking the head off and kicking the rest over the edge. Not so golden

Those were not hunters that wrote books.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Duncan Gilgrest wrote one "Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range"

Duncan was a ball of fire for sure.Started out in Haines and learned to fly.Some of his last bear vids he made with Parker/Boyce guides in S.E. are wild to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast