Thread: Started a bunch of garden seeds

Default Started a bunch of garden seeds

Started my garden plants. Planted the tomatoes in the GH.
    Garden soil boxes are most all thawed out. The garden soil is to gooey to walk in yet.
    All the Brassica, 4 types of lettuce, squash,
    Forgot to start celery when I started the tomato plants, so I potted some seed, but guessing I'll end up having to buy celery plants.

Lov'n the above freezing weather

Anyone else got plants growing? seeds started?

I planted a few broccoli and cauliflower seeds so I can harvest some before freezeup. Last year I ran out of growing season time.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Started my garden plants. Planted the tomatoes in the GH.
    Garden soil boxes are most all thawed out. The garden soil is to gooey to walk in yet.
    All the Brassica, 4 types of lettuce, squash,
    Forgot to start celery when I started the tomato plants, so I potted some seed, but guessing I'll end up having to buy celery plants.

Lov'n the above freezing weather

Anyone else got plants growing? seeds started?
    We got way too much snow covering the garden over here still.. and since I don't have any kind of heat in my little green house it'll be awhile before I move my plants from inside a south window to the green house... I throw wood ashes on the garden to speed up the melting process but we still have a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    We got way too much snow covering the garden over here still.. and since I don't have any kind of heat in my little green house it'll be awhile before I move my plants from inside a south window to the green house... I throw wood ashes on the garden to speed up the melting process but we still have a ways to go.

John
    Did you make soil boxes for your GH? With all the compost you made last year, you have enough soil to fill them.
    I think the snow & frost in the ground will go fast now. With lots of snow cover the frost in the ground should be less this year.

The house is currently a jungle and I have some spinach growing in the green house.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    The house is currently a jungle and I have some spinach growing in the green house.
    How did you manage that? What do you use for heat?

In the green house? I have not heated the green house at all.
    Last month I planted the seeds and coved them with snow. then when the temperatures get consistantly above freezing the seeds sprout. By the time I am ready to plant my tomatoes I will harvest all my spinach and plant the tomatoes. I started seeing spinach plants on sunday.

As soon as my spinach bed thaws, I throw in some seeds. It sprouts when nights are above freezing & adds a green color to the garden pretty quick.
    Spinach is tough, handles the cold well & better yet, tastes great.
    Onion set also can be set out early. The bulbs sprout pretty quick & then a nice garden salad of spinach & green onions in early june.

I never thought about doing a few in the GH, I think I'll build a small soil box today & plants some spinach seeds & onions sets. (may just use some 5 gallon buckets)
    Todays GH pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first year growing, when are you guys moving seedlings to dirt?

Wanna do the basics of tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce and some onion varieties.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

I live off of KGB rd (Wasilla) and the soil here isn't warm enough to plant anything before the middle of May
    usually closer to the 3rd week... I have an unheated green house that I can move the tomatoes into before
    then depending on the weather...

Yeh I too live off KGB and. My planting area gets sun all day long and I've considered a small outdoor greenhouse to get things started but maybe it's too cold at night to keep plants alive.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I wouldn't move out anything frost sensitive till the end of may.

In my green house I was planning on putting frost sensitive stuff out about mid may. I am sure I could put the hardy stuff in the green house now.

Note Incase your unsure: sensative plants include tomatoes, your cabage lettuce and oinions are fairly hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

For tomatoes & cucumbers, you need a Green House. They grow outdoors here but small fruit & few species get ripe tomatoes.

I plant garden seeds about mid May (usually) some years earlier, some years later, depends on soil temps.
    Usually it's safe to put the garden plants in the last week of May or the first of June.
    I'm between Palmer & Wasilla, Some areas just a few miles away have later planting times.
    This year we'll see when the soil thaws & warms up enough to plant,
    One year I planted on May 9th, but I don't think the soil will be ready that soon.
    I have raised beds in the garden, I get a week or 2 earlier start with them, they warm up sooner.

Last years garden with pics May to Sept:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pdate-picutres

That's a good lookin garden MB!! I'll be building my raised beds next week if time allows. So much to do this spring.

Thanks,
    brocc , kale & lettuce seeds are sprouting.
    Cucumber seeds sprouted in the GH soil boxes (sweet success). Toms doing well.

So I was hoping to start a garden this year. I see you guys have already planted stuff inside. Is this how it has to be done, I can't just plant seeds in the ground? Am I too late to start stuff inside?

Thanks much

its never to late to start your seeds in side go for it have some fun and enjoy
    Some of us will have a better start is all
    and when you have seeds started in side the snow melts faster LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    So I was hoping to start a garden this year. I see you guys have already planted stuff inside. Is this how it has to be done, I can't just plant seeds in the ground? Am I too late to start stuff inside?

Thanks much
    for years I bought all my starter plants at Freddies, or Wallys or local nurserys.. but in recent years, I became obssessed with growing tomatoes, and the different varieties I wanted to try were not always available so I began to start my own. It gives an older person something to fuss over during break up. Our growing season is too short to grow everything from seeds in the garden. so your options are to start some inside yourself. Or buy the starters at the local garden center. Peas, beans, carrots, turnips, leaf lettuce, grow readily enough from seed in the garden. However, cabbages, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower need a head start.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post

Thanks much
    Don't sweet it. I started some 2 weeks ago & will start a few more soon. Lettuce, brocc to get crops thru the summer.
    You may have to buy some starts to plant in your garden in a few weeks but anything you start now will be ready to plant in the garden in 4 weeks or so. You'll get good crops from them. Once outside in the garden with our long days , plants catch up quick.
    I had some bad lettuce seed, (didn't buy new this year) that didn't sprout so I'll be buying some lettuce to set out soon.
    Also forgot to plant celery in March so I'll be buying a 6 pack of it too.
    As you grow different varieties & different plants, you'll figure out what you use, & the types that do well for you.
    I start mine, like OldJohn says, to get thru "breakup" & to get certain varieties. I'm always trying different varieties of something & I know how old they are & seem to get better results from stuff I start. The "learning curve" for a garden in AK is quick, you find out how big & fast plants grow here with lots of sun.
    Some years we have cooler summers & a few things don't do as well as in other years.
    I'm banking on this year being a good sunny warm summer (like every year)
    I'll be cutting my potatoes eyes off last years potatoes soon to get them ready to plant as soon as the soil is ready. Mid May usually for potatoes. Yukon golds are our favorite , a few shepody, peanut & reds too.
    I planted onion sets & will plant some onion seeds too, green onions into late Sept from seeds.
    Good luck
    Have fun learning

Today I gambled and planted my onion starts and some garlic cloves.. I've never planted either this early, but as Mudbuddy said, they are just like other bulb plants and her tulips and dafodils are looking great already... I put a tomatoe plant in the unheated green house the other day and It's doing great.. with day time temps hitting 90..... as long as I remember to go cover it before I go to bed or fall asleep in my recliner.