Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot shot comet or comet fly

Default Hot shot comet or comet fly

I've been tying flies for this years Alaska trip and I have the hot shot comet on my list . I can't find much info on it , is it a worthwhile fly to have in my box . I'll be fishing mainly for silvers on the kenai peninsula , also chum and pinks .
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Comets are great flies. Again... a comet is more of a style than a very specific pattern. (I imagine it was a specific pattern at one point, but there's been so many variations in materials in color by now that it hardly matters.)

Key ingredients in the recipe (and all ingredients subject to change/substitution as you see fit):
    Lead weight optional
    Tail: bucktail
    Body: tinsel, wire (hot shot comet uses flash/sparkle chenille)
    Hackle: saddle, schlappen, etc.
    Eyes: bead chain or dumbbell eyes

Tie in whatever colors you like: pink, green, orange, blue, black, red, etc., etc.
    You can change the eyes to vary the sink weight - use bead chain eyes for a slower sink rate for skinny water and heavy brass or lead eyes for faster sink rates for deeper/faster water.
    Easy to tie... so tie up a bunch!

I really like size 6 and 8 comets for sockeye.

Good tutorial with some pics/variations:
    http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2009...on-on-the-fly/

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Comets are great flies. Again... a comet is more of a style than a very specific pattern. (I imagine it was a specific pattern at one point, but there's been so many variations in materials in color by now that it hardly matters.)

Key ingredients in the recipe (and all ingredients subject to change/substitution as you see fit):
    Lead weight optional
    Tail: bucktail
    Body: tinsel, wire (hot shot comet uses flash/sparkle chenille)
    Hackle: saddle, schlappen, etc.
    Eyes: bead chain or dumbbell eyes

Tie in whatever colors you like: pink, green, orange, blue, black, red, etc., etc.
    You can change the eyes to vary the sink weight - use bead chain eyes for a slower sink rate for skinny water and heavy brass or lead eyes for faster sink rates for deeper/faster water.
    Easy to tie... so tie up a bunch!

I really like size 6 and 8 comets for sockeye.

Good tutorial with some pics/variations:
    http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2009...on-on-the-fly/

Cheers,
    Rich
    those smaller flies really do work wonders on reds.

Thanks for for taking the time guys , great info .Wyo to AK your description was very helpful you must do alot of tying , I'm pretty good on a pattern I've tied before or if I can see it tied but otherwise its hard to get things rolling . One of my best friends moved to Wy. I've been out and hunted and fished with him a couple times , he was in the Bondurant area and is now living near Daniel , wild country !!!!
    It does seem like alot of flies are very simular and maybe I don't need them in my fly box for the Kenai penn. I tried to narrow it down , here is my list ESL, Coho kryptonite ,Fushia bunny,Flash fly, Clouser, Comet and Flesh flies , let me what I'm missing or what might be a duplicate.

Throw a few woolhead scullpins in there. Olive and dark brown...

And the list keeps growing !!!!!!!!!!!! If you could only pick one all around best fly for silvers on the Kenai peninsula what would it be ??

My favorite fly for silvers are Dolly Llamas in various colors.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

What do they imitate , baitfish or flesh ? I don't have any in my box !!! yet !! They look very time consuming to tie , but I will give it a try.They kind of resemble a bunny leech with all the bunny strips , I just tied some bunny leech's nice and easy fly to tie , do I need a couple dollys also ?Some comets are on my list next , so many flies and not enough time I have to narrow it down , Help!!

The Nilgiri sleeper company is pioneered the railway sleepers industry.They are the main suppliers of various kind of railway sleepers for Indian railway.

For silvers only, there ain't much better or that has caught more silvers than a simple flash fly stripped fast.

chugbug... asking for the all around "best" fly is like asking for the all around "best" car.
    It all depends on the situation and the given day, what the fish are hot on (and what they're not), water conditions, pressure, etc. There are too many flies and not enough time for you to tie up EVERY good silver pattern. Don't stress about it. Everyone has their favorites - and that's why this forum is great! to get input from a bunch of people on what's worked for them.

As Alaska Fly Guy mentioned, a flash fly is a staple for silvers. I believe you've already been tying some of these up.

Just pick a few standards and tie them up in a variety of colors, sizes, and weights. You've already got a good list going. If I were tying up 5 patterns for silvers, I'd go with: bunny leech, flash fly, ESL (those three would probably cover it), comets and clousers. (For #6 I'd add marabou flies... just because I love marabou... popsicles and the like)
    Some days fish are shy and want smaller, darker flies. Some days big flashy bright flies are the ticket.
    Tie 'em up in a bunch of colors and you're set. Black, purple, pink/fushia, red, green, orange, flesh.
    Remember that rabbit hide/strips float. Make sure you weight the hook with some lead in addition to the dumbbell eyes. Fill up the sink and throw some in there if you want to check the sink rate.

by the way, dolly llamas aren't that hard to tie. a couple little tricks to it, but you can crank them out once you get the hang of it. they're really a smart fly - heavy cone makes sure it sinks well and adds a nice jigging motion to the retrieve. leaving the rabbit strips hanging adds a lot of action. beware: they cast like a softball.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Tying-Your-Own

Cheers,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Throw a few woolhead scullpins in there. Olive and dark brown...
    I just re-read the first question of the threadt and stoped reading at "keinai" the first time. The woolheads would be more for trout than salmon. Flash flies are hard to beat for silvers. Kind of like the "Pixie" of the fly fhishing world...

It all depends on what color you tie them in. Favorite colors, olive/white, fushia/black, Chart/black, purple/black. Basically they are a oversized leech. As Wyo stated easy to tie especially with his step by step. Be sure to get cross cut rabbit. And yes is recommend having a few trout and dollys will hit them also.....especially olive/white hint hint......
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    It all depends on what color you tie them in. Favorite colors, olive/white, fushia/black, Chart/black, purple/black. Basically they are a oversized leech. As Wyo stated easy to tie especially with his step by step. Be sure to get cross cut rabbit. And yes is recommend having a few trout and dollys will hit them also.....especially olive/white hint hint......
    I only use straight-cut rabbit. Not just for dolly llamas but all bunny flies, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I only use straight-cut rabbit. Not just for dolly llamas but all bunny flies, actually.
    i actually use both in no particular order.

My fly box's are filling up ,its a good feeling , I think I'm going to have a good selection , thanks for all the ideas and info , can't wait !!

Since you're aiming at chums, pinks and silvers, I'd make sure you had a wide selection of Clousers in your box. Upriver for silvers I'd also have a bunch of beadhead Woolly Buggers for the slow water areas. Fly boxes are cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Fly boxes are cheap!
    Fly boxes are expensive!!! Bying an empty fly box is like buying ammo for a gun caliber you don't own... Like buying a set of oars for a driftboat that you don't own...
    It's gonna cost you. But it's FUN!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Fly boxes are expensive!!! Bying an empty fly box is like buying ammo for a gun caliber you don't own... Like buying a set of oars for a driftboat that you don't own...
    It's gonna cost you. But it's FUN!
    I am soooooooooo busted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast