Thread: Range Tire Questions.

Default Range Tire Questions.

I am buying a Polaris Ranger.
    The stock tires are 25-10/12 and 25-11/12.

A friend of mine has the Mud Trax tires and he loves them.
    I am thinking about upgrading to a set of STI Mud Trax Tires.
    They offer up to a 26x11/12 and a 26x9/12 keeping the same stock rim.

They offer a 27x9/14 and a 27x11/14. I would have to buy new rims.

Has anyone put the 14 inch rim on a Ranger? Are there any steering problems?
    Are any problems created by doing this?

Would a lift kit help or create a new problem?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken

Lifts are a great addition to the Ranger. Just have to pay attention to lock to lock turns when hogging on it which is never recommended.

14s will be heavier but will allow more caliper clearance but less sidewall flex and a bumpier ride.

I've been just fine on 12s with over 3500 miles however I do recommend steel rims. Rocks will wedge in the caliper and machine a ring around the inside and can lead to an air leak.

Highly recommend a clutch kit. The EPI kit has been solid.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Buddy has 27" Swamp Lites on his with the stock rims, very impressive.

Btw I too run 27" swamp liter. Love em.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

First, good choice of sideXside you will not be disappointed. Next, most after market mud or snow or mud and snow tires are better than stock. With that in mind, there are plenty of tire brands that offer 27X12-12 or 27X11-12 and you can run a 27" tire on a Ranger with little to no rubbing. Depending on the tire brand you can run 11" wide tires up front with no rubbing issues too. In that case you would need to get rid of the front wheels and get you a set of rear wheels.

Like was mentioned most experience rubbing when in full turn or max compression of the shock. If you can adjust your driving style to limit these situations then the rubbing is not an issue or non-existent. Meaning, do a 4 or 5 point turn rather than a U turn.

Also, be careful of what some tires advertise as size. A 26" ITP 589 is really a 24.5" real world tire. You can run a 27" 589 all day long and it will never rub because it is actually a 26" - 26.25" tire.

So, what am I trying to say? Mud Trax are probably a good tire, but for the money you could keep your stock rims and get a nice set of 26" or 27" X brand tires and be just fine.

I have an 08 ranger with 27" swamp lights with 2" lift and wheel spacers for clearance on the rear. My factory rims were 14" but I switched to 12" due to better ride and cheaper tires. I picked up a set of itp steel wheels from go pro. The lift helps with the tire clearence and also water clearance when crossing water. I have never had a issue with the lift. I used a highlifter lift and it was around $100 bucks and easy to install. I like the wheel spacers cause it gives me that much more stability. Never came close to tipping it but don't want to either. The biggest issue as previously stated is don't get to aggresive when your wheels are turned to the lock. Especially with aggresive tires. Especially in reverse. You will eat through an axel in a hurry. Been there, done that.