Thread: glock 20 longslide or not?

Default glock 20 longslide or not?

I have a glock 20 10mm that I purchased a kkm 6 inch barrel so I can shoot double tap 230 grain hard cast lead bullets out of. I feel it will be adequate as hiking and back up side arm so that is not the question.

What i was thinking of is with the long slide if a bear was on top of you the firearm could go out of battery if it hit the front of the slide. but with that extra 2 inches of barrel sticking out if the barrel is pressed against something it goes out of battery less than 1/8 inch and doesn't unlock so as soon as pressure is off the barrel it moves forward and you can shoot . So would it be better just to live with the ugly nose sticking out because then it is acting more like a revolver in that you could still shoot? I know I will probably never get in that situation but before I spend an additional 400 dollars its something to consider.

what are your thoughts?

It doesnít matter ether way, everything has advantages and disadvantages. What matters is that you know the gun and how to make it work without thinking about it in whatever situation you find yourself in.

I just watched a close quarter drill where you hold the slide in battery with the off hand, he did it with a 1911 and it kept it from unlocking even when fired so he had to rack another round in by hand. Iíve never seen that before or been brave enough to grab the slide and fire a round but he did, he knows his gun and what it will do in a fight.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Wow, got a link? I'm with ya, Andy, not brave enough!

As far as the age old question: "To longslide, or not to longslide?", its a matter of preference really. Some of the advantages (perceived/actual/both) have been discussed before. I did it, and it has a high COC, and I like mine. Lots of guys have project rifles and whatnot, and this was nothing more than the same, for me. If ya got the dough, DIVE IN!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Wow, got a link? I'm with ya, Andy, not brave enough!
    It was on ďStudent of The GunĒ TV show. Iím not about to run right out and try with a 10mm but he had no trouble holding a 45 to my total shock.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

High COC? don't understand that part

I admit, I was fishing for that one.

High Coefficient of Cool...

agreed the look cool now just need to decide if that's worth spending the money or finish other projects

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It doesnít matter ether way, everything has advantages and disadvantages. What matters is that you know the gun and how to make it work without thinking about it in whatever situation you find yourself in.

I just watched a close quarter drill where you hold the slide in battery with the off hand, he did it with a 1911 and it kept it from unlocking even when fired so he had to rack another round in by hand. Iíve never seen that before or been brave enough to grab the slide and fire a round but he did, he knows his gun and what it will do in a fight.
    I've done this often in a training environment setting. The trick is to hold the slide firm so that no momentum in the slide is developed. The training objective is to teach my students that a shooter can return the gun into firing battery position after the malfunction by raking the slide against the shooter's thigh, gun belt, holster (anything capable of offering resistance) etc., using the rear sights to gain purchase on the slide movement. The action must be vigorously and aggressively cycled to return to battery position. I emphasize the shooter must not be afraid of the slide when the shot is fired by allowing any movement which creates momentum.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    I've done this often in a training environment setting. The trick is to hold the slide firm so that no momentum in the slide is developed. The training objective is to teach my students that a shooter can return the gun into firing battery position after the malfunction by raking the slide against the shooter's thigh, gun belt, holster (anything capable of offering resistance) etc., using the rear sights to gain purchase on the slide movement. The action must be vigorously and aggressively cycled to return to battery position. I emphasize the shooter must not be afraid of the slide when the shot is fired by allowing any movement which creates momentum.
    I can see how it would work, your holding it into the locks but it goes agents years of keeping my hands away so as not to get bitten . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You are overthinking this. If you are truly worried, switch the shorter barrel back on when you go out. Or get a .50 GI conversion.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    The training objective is to teach my students that a shooter can return the gun into firing battery position after the malfunction by raking the slide against the shooter's thigh, gun belt, holster (anything capable of offering resistance) etc., using the rear sights to gain purchase on the slide movement. The action must be vigorously and aggressively cycled to return to battery position.
    I teach that too but with an empty gun...too many AD's have occured. I only want loaded guns pointed down range. It is certainly a good technique to know.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a G20 SF and I put the Lone Wolf long slide on it with the 6.6 threaded barrel. I like the idea that I can fire lead hard cast out of that barrel (when Glock says not to use lead in thier barrel). I also like the additional sighting plane with the long slide. I'm happy with my Glock. I still have the original upper in the safe so I can return back to the original configuration in moments if I decide.

So the real question is...what do you want? If you want it and can afford it, get it, otherwise you'll continue to want it.

MyTime