Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires for the haul road

Default Tires for the haul road

After getting a flat tire last year on the haul road I decided to get new tires for this fall. I was wondering what other people plate running uP there. I'm looking for a tough all weather tire.

A lot of guys swear by the Coopers up there, but I've had nothing but bad luck with those. I was using stock General's on my F150 and never got a flat in a dozen plus trips with those. I used to get flats all the time, but it was because I was driving too fast. I was trying different brands, but as soon as I decided to knock the speed down on the gravel, the problem suddenly went away.

Quality tire that will clear mud, and I recommend an "E" rated side wall. Lots of sharp shale to cut sidewalls.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

tire pressure can also make a difference I was having flats when I used to go to livengood a lot, then I was told to reduce the pressure and stopped having flats, also ten ply tire is reccomended.

I've lost some BFGoodrich A/T KO's up there. Ran Cooper Discoverers and never had issues. Lost some BFGoodrich's on the Denali HWY as well.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Most of the Alyeska pickup trucks have Goodyear Wrangler, Pro Grades on them.

I'm thinking "Cooper Discoverers" isn't quite specific enough, as there may be a half dozen or more of them, all with radically different treads.

I talked with one mechanic at PS03 a couple years ago and he thought highly of the goodyear wranglers per the post above. Some folks have noted that they don't do well towing heavy things due to a somewhat softer sidewall than others. Softer in this case not meaning more prone to puncture...I've driven Alyeska trucks with that tire and they've done great on snow, ice, dry gravel and slop. Most of the rigs I've seen run size LT235/85R16.

I've put holes through the tread of three different 285/75R16 tires on the denali highway and the road to the kenai canoe trails - one was through an old Les Schwab wild country TXR, and twice on the denali highway through bridgestone dueler revo. That size in a D rating might not be a good way to go for a HD (eight lug) pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I used to get flats all the time, but it was because I was driving too fast. I was trying different brands, but as soon as I decided to knock the speed down on the gravel, the problem suddenly went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Quality tire that will clear mud, and I recommend an "E" rated
    Size and brand are a matter of choice, But Jarod and Stid have advised all that you really need to know. Run a good E rated tire, and slow down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

My only suggestion for not getting a flat on these roads is to switch to PNEUMATIC tires. It does not make any difference on brand. Guaranteed no flats. The only down side is they are ruff riding and you have to drive slow. They are also hard to find in the right size to fit most full sized vehicles. LOL
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I bring a good tire plug repair kit. Only had to use one time, saved time swapping tires.

Also invest in a real mini air compressor not the $20 Walmart style.

Custom truck in Wasilla has a super sweet plug kit and compressor. Not cheap but a solid investment when you need it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    tire pressure can also make a difference I was having flats when I used to go to livengood a lot, then I was told to reduce the pressure and stopped having flats, also ten ply tire is reccomended.
    I don't consider this good advice with radial truck tires. Every year, I drive to Eagle, Whitehorse and McCarthy. When I drive to Eagle, I am loaded to the brim with weight (ask Bushrat). When I'm in McCarthy, we all talk of tires as a group because of flats in the group. When I stop in Tok to pick up things, we talk of tires with friends who run to Chicken every week(from Tok).

It's common knowledge that extra pressure in the tires protects the most vulnerable part of the tires: THE SIDEWALL. When you run these abusive gravel roads with a heavy truck, you better have more than 35 psi in those suckers. We aren't California rock crawlers up here, so don't let the "d-bag off road magazines" convince to lower the tire pressure, especially not on our gravel roads.

I'm on my third set of Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/r16 with the chip resistant rubber compound and extra plys in the radial. I see this particular tire alot up here, they are popular. I've destroyed every flavor off BFG tires. The coopers run like a washboard, but I don't care, I don't get flats. I run close to 50 PSI on the gravel, and so do others that I talk to. Keep your sidewalls tall, don't let them squat towards sharp gravel.

Attached Images Attached Images

E Rated is the way to go...most E rated tires run 60-75 PSI, I ran stock crappy BF Goodrich on my dodge 3500 and didn't have a problem. I monitored my speed when I thought the road was washed out or if it looked like a grader had just turned up the road, but for the most part I just drove on it like it was paved...never had a problem!

If I was running reg half ton tires at 35-40 psi I'd go slow and bring two spares, tire plugs, and an air compressor.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

E rated tire,don't max out the PSI run them on the lower side of the recommended PSI, taketwo spares, a plug kit and a small compressor.
    Thatís what I do and always made it back.

I have used "E" rated tires on 5-6 runs to Deadhorse and no flats. I carry the high pressure Inflate-a-flat cans but have never used one.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm on my second set of Cooper Discoverers E rated tires on this truck. Three Haul Road trips, countless Denali Highway trips. Never had a flat. My current set is the AT3's

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm on my second set of Cooper Discoverers E rated tires on this truck. Three Haul Road trips, countless Denali Highway trips. Never had a flat. My current set is the AT3's

AT3s are just efn awesome. Ran the LTZs last and sucked 44000 miles out of them. Best dam tire I've ever bought and I run 25k+ a year between sledn, fishin and Ranger'n.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

remember, Drive slow, drink alotta water
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

You can't beat a stock tire on fords or Chevys. What do think all the oil company runs. Stock tires.....don't second guess it.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

The stock tires on my '06 Chevy sucked. Low bidder and all that. The oil companies have tire shops to go to for a reason.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast