Thread: What to fish for May 13-15?

Default What to fish for May 13-15?

I was hoping someone would be willing to point me in the right direction as to what to fish for and where. We will be in the Kenai Peninsula May 13-15th. We are doing a Halibut charter on the 14th but we would love to do some river, lake or shore fishing. Anything we catch in Alaska will be a first time catching that species. I don't expect giving away your secret holes but just some general direction would be appreciated.

Troll for Kings before or after halibut fishing.....

Lots of bank fishing at that time for King salmon also. Kasilof is open and should have lots of kings in it. the first day you mentioned is a sunday so there is fishing oppurtunities at deep creek,anchor,and ninilchik open on weekends only,,,(well with some exceptions even during weekdays..see regs) ... get your self a copy of the current regs as things may change..those lower rivers are a blast when you hook a king for sure...

Thanks for the ideas. We are coming up because my older brother is turning 40 and what he has always wanted to do is fish Alaska so it would be awesome if he could land a King. I think the charter did say we could possible target Kings if we limit out on Halibut but I think it would be neat to catch one in one of Alaska's fabled rivers.

In regards to the regs, do they keep them updates online or is it something I need to check once we get up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Lots of bank fishing at that time for King salmon also. Kasilof is open and should have lots of kings in it. the first day you mentioned is a sunday so there is fishing oppurtunities at deep creek,anchor,and ninilchik open on weekends only,,,(well with some exceptions even during weekdays..see regs) ... get your self a copy of the current regs as things may change..those lower rivers are a blast when you hook a king for sure...
    BE CAREFUL! No rivers south of Clam Gulch are open till Memorial Day wkend. Kasilof would be open but the Kings are just starting about mid May...Although the first is usually caught around May 1.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I'm not sure if they'll be ice free by mid May, but renting a canoe and exploring the Kenai Canoe Trails and catching some rainbow trout is high on my list of favorite freshwater fishing activities in the Kenai area. The fish will be hungry right after the lakes are ice free and an u/l spinning rod with some 1/4 oz little cleos or cast masters are deadly. Should keep the dedicated fly fisherman happy as well. There is a place in Stirling that rents canoes.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    BE CAREFUL! No rivers south of Clam Gulch are open till Memorial Day wkend. Kasilof would be open but the Kings are just starting about mid May...Although the first is usually caught around May 1.
    Cod thanks for the correction..gees shouldn't type so early got my months mixed up..lol

Thanks everyone. I love the idea of canoeing. We have been to the Boundary Waters in MN a couple times and it was pretty fun. I think we should try Kasilof, at least to say we fished it.

This might sound dumb but can you fish and catch something from the shore of the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by bjdebe View Post
    Thanks everyone. I love the idea of canoeing. We have been to the Boundary Waters in MN a couple times and it was pretty fun. I think we should try Kasilof, at least to say we fished it.

This might sound dumb but can you fish and catch something from the shore of the ocean?
    I just got off the beach a few hrs ago. I got one 15 pound halibut from shore. It was my second time out this yr. By May 13 the kings will also be available off the beach. Be sure to check the regs for where and when its ok to fish from the beach. There are restrictions. So the answer to your question is ...Yes u can catch from shore in the ocean.

Another fun option in mid May is throwing castmasters or krockadiles in front of the homer harbor entrance at high tide for dolly varden. If u hit it at the right time it can be fun. I've had a day or 2 where I got 15 fish in an hour.

We will be in Homer for a couple days so this sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdebe View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. We are coming up because my older brother is turning 40 and what he has always wanted to do is fish Alaska so it would be awesome if he could land a King. I think the charter did say we could possible target Kings if we limit out on Halibut but I think it would be neat to catch one in one of Alaska's fabled rivers.

In regards to the regs, do they keep them updates online or is it something I need to check once we get up there?
    His 40th is a big one. You really should try trolling for kings down out of Homer, the Anchor Point area, or Deep Creek. There is nothing like a sea run king.....imo. Even though I've caught big kings from the Kenai river, probably the best King I ever caught was a 40 pounder that I caught in about 20' of water fishing for halibut early in the spring. Incredible fish...!!!

I caught a 50lb King several years ago on a combo Halibut/King charter, it was awesome.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2