Thread: Nifty thorax trick for nymphs

Default Nifty thorax trick for nymphs

I've been tying a lot of nymphs for an upcoming trip to Colorado and got tired of making lots of dubbing loops and started looking through my tools looking for a good shortcut. I dug up my petitjean magic tool and it hit me that I could use that instead of making a dubbing loop. After I tie in the wing-case, I split the ultra-thread in half, put in my hare's mask using the petitjean magic tool clip, spin the bobbin a few times, and I'm ready to wrap it forward. No extra dubbing loop needed. I think I actually like the way the hare fibers flare out from the thorax more this way too.

I'm sure I'm not the first person ever to do this, but I thought I'd share with you guys. I'll put up a picture of some results later.

Eagle River

Saw what sounds like similar technique for dubbing with loop, maybe in Dave Hughes tying book, but not sure.
    After forming a loop, use hackle pliers to spin the dubbing in.

Be interested to hear how your nymphs have done, in either CO or AK.

Border Collies, do you have any pics of the flies you've been tying?
    Piscor Ergo Sum

It's a great technique, but it's been around a loooong time. It says good things about your creativity that you came up with it yourself!

Hans Weilenmann uses that technique a lot and calls it "split thread" dubbing. Here is the site where he posts a bunch. Good site. Here is Hans' own site, clearly the biggest collection of patterns and tying videos on the web. Kind of like the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. You fall into that site, and you could spend months before coming back to the surface.

Speaking of dubbing methods here is the most comprehensive coverage I've found anywhere.

This will be a bigger reply with lots of pictures

Definitely not surprised that someone else figured out split-thread dubbing long before I did. I love not having to deal with making a dubbing loop and tying it off and all of that headache!

The nymphs (and other flies) I have been tying have been pretty successful as I've been fishing. The quigley cripple is a recent favorite of mine after it caught 4 different species of trout in one lake in under an hour. The GRHE nymphs are most often fished under a dropper (where legal) and catch lots of fish. The black and silver steroid chironomid (started as a small chironomid pattern then started playing and ended up getting it pretty big) was killer in Colorado lakes and caught the only lake trout on the fly I've ever seen. The purple and blue prince nymphs are killers on the grayling up here. The puterbaugh foam caddis was the killer pattern on the Arkansas where we stayed last summer. One night my wife was fishing one in size 12, and she caught a fish on every cast as soon as it hit the water for almost half an hour. The assorted other patterns I have pictures of below are all mostly proven and have small changes in materials (like using UV ice-dub on stimulators or adding a zelon egg sac on elk hair caddis flies). The truth is, I don't fish very technical waters and could probably get away with using nothing but attractor patterns, but I really like tying. I'm sure I have more flies now than I'll ever use in a life-time.

Here is what my wet fly box looked like when I went to Colorado last summer:

Here are pictures of recent patterns I've been tying and restocking the boxes with:

GRHE tied using split-thread dubbing.

A GRHE tied with split-thread dubbing from tonight.

Chironomid pattern (tail is lagurtun mini flat braid from the ribbing frayed out)

Puterbaugh foam caddis:

Chubby Chernobyl (grayling loved this but hook-up rate was awful)

Quigley Cripple:

And some of the fish they've caught:
    High elevation lake trout:

Arkansas River brown trout:

Rainbow trout:

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    This will be a bigger reply with lots of pictures

Definitely not surprised that someone else figured out split-thread dubbing long before I did. I love not having to deal with making a dubbing loop and tying it off and all of that headache!
    Yeah, there's always someone out there figuring and inventing, and it's good for all of us.

Speaking of that, a buddy of mine is a custom tyer back East and came up with a neat accessory for split thread. Basically it's a short twisted wire V with a ring at the bottom to slip over the tube of a bobbin, and each point of the V bent a little past 90 degrees and pointed a little. The ring is tight enough for a little friction on the bobbin but loose enough that the whole thing can be slid down on the bobbin where it stays out of the way when not needed. After splitting the thread, he slides the deelly bobber up and uses the two legs of the V to hold the split open, freeing both his hands to do other work rather than mess with the split. Kind of a mini version of some of the looping devices with legs.

It works so well I keep telling him to manufacture and sell. His attitude is "Why? It's so easy to for guys to make their own, I don't even want to go there." His first was made with a hunk of paper clip. He's since cut apart a Mepps spinner and used the stainless shaft to make one. He likes it better because it's stiffer and doesn't get bent out of shape.

Food for thought, and an opportunity for your to "invent" your own.