Thread: Tangle Lakes

Default Tangle Lakes

Anyone ever hunted the Tangle lake area?

Lots of area and water that is accessible by boat especially canoe or inflatable. I know the fishing is great up there but that belongs on another forum.

I have always wanted to spend some time in the area looking for ducks while big game hunting. Tend to not take all the gear for both activities. I know that the "waterfowl lakes" along the Denali Highway always have ducks in them when scouting for caribou in September.

I helped my dad get his caribou last fall out there and I brought a shotgun with me. I just left it in the bow of the canoe so I could shoot as we jumped them on the corners, or as they flew over. There was one guy out there with dekes. I was able to get 4 teal, and 2 shovelers on the paddle out. The bonus was 4 ptarmigan that literally walked into our campsite. There were hundreds of swans out there, plus a lot of scaup. I saw a few mallards, but they were pretty skiddish. Good luck if you go, but I think there are places just as good, closer to civilization.
    Attachment 59090Attachment 59091

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    I helped my dad get his caribou last fall out there and I brought a shotgun with me. I just left it in the bow of the canoe so I could shoot as we jumped them on the corners, or as they flew over. There was one guy out there with dekes. I was able to get 4 teal, and 2 shovelers on the paddle out. The bonus was 4 ptarmigan that literally walked into our campsite. There were hundreds of swans out there, plus a lot of scaup. I saw a few mallards, but they were pretty skiddish. Good luck if you go, but I think there are places just as good, closer to civilization.
    Attachment 59090Attachment 59091
    Thanks for the write up -- I know that is a long way to go to just shoot ducks but I LOVE it out there and just enjoy being in the area.

AKRay..I see lots of ducks on the drive up and scouting as well but my thought is that with so many ponds to choose from that calling them might be difficult and once you do once shot at they will just move over to another area. Also i am concerned that the key word in our write up "lots of ducks on the ponds" do not recall seeing many flying and moving while out an about in the area.

Might try the paddle jump shooting though