Thread: Anyone know if Cottonwood Creek in Wasilla is open to fishing now?

Default Anyone know if Cottonwood Creek in Wasilla is open to fishing now?

Cabin fever is starting to set in and was looking for some rainbow trout in a local creek. I've had enough of ice fishing already. Does anyone know if Cottonwood Creek in Wasilla is open to rainbow fishing now? I couldn't find anything online about it. Also I've never fished there, but I see other creeks in the area are closed, due to signs being posted, bu again I haven't seen a sign here. Anyone have any luck here? Thanks

All sections closed to all fishing as of April 14th. Page 34 of the southcentral reg book.
    Last edited by sibir; 04-17-2012 at 07:16. Reason: added reference

I fish this creek regularily after work as I used to live in Wasilla up until January. It is closed until June 16th I believe (haven't checked the current regs but in past years it has been that date). There are some pretty nice rainbows in there but a lot more dinkers. Bead headed nymphs work great in this creek, as well as dry flies in the more stagnant sections of the creek near lily pads. Last year I caught the largest bow I have ever caught out of that creek drifting a bead head prince nymph in a slow current just past some lily pads. That bow was at least 21" and smashed that fly like a freight train. The water is so clear that you see every strike. Definately a fun little creek. I will miss those late evening trips to cottonwood creek after work.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I fish this creek regularily after work as I used to live in Wasilla up until January. It is closed until June 16th I believe (haven't checked the current regs but in past years it has been that date). There are some pretty nice rainbows in there but a lot more dinkers. Bead headed nymphs work great in this creek, as well as dry flies in the more stagnant sections of the creek near lily pads. Last year I caught the largest bow I have ever caught out of that creek drifting a bead head prince nymph in a slow current just past some lily pads. That bow was at least 21" and smashed that fly like a freight train. The water is so clear that you see every strike. Definately a fun little creek. I will miss those late evening trips to cottonwood creek after work.
    Not only that but I was under the impression it is only open on weekends as well…………but to answer your question yes there is open spots……now I better to read the regs….lol

The closure dates are april 14 to june 15, so the 16th is good for the majority of the creek. The first mile up from the mouth is the only portion open for salmon fishing. It is open weekends only when it is open. Watch for EOs and double check the regs, I see alot of families getting tickets fishing off Seward Meridian during closures.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Are all the local Wasilla creeks closed till June 16th? I was just getting gas today and saw a small creek near the Harley Davdson place off Hyer Rd. Looked fishy, and seemed to have enough depth to hold something. Anyone know anything about it, or even the creeks name?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpokey View Post
    Are all the local Wasilla creeks closed till June 16th? I was just getting gas today and saw a small creek near the Harley Davdson place off Hyer Rd. Looked fishy, and seemed to have enough depth to hold something. Anyone know anything about it, or even the creeks name?
    That is Wasilla creek. I know it has a small silver run and has dollys but I never fished it. Don't know about regs on this creek.

Well I'm hoping it's open as I'd love to get a little fishing in. Guess I'll keep checking Google

Wasilla creek will have the same closures as Cottonwood creek,closed from april14-june 15. The lower section downstream from the RR bridge open weekends only after june 15, but you can fish for salmon other than kings. No fishing at all within 300ft either side of palmer-fishhook rd. Pretty much ALL flowing waters in the knik drainage are closed till june 15. See the regs for the couple of exceptions.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

they have reds that go up there as well. The funny thing the creek down from the R/R doesn't give you much room, but I haven't followed it very far but it runs by my house by the R/R and I never seen any one there which is surprising given the amount of fish I have seen in it.