Thread: Murphy? .338 question

Default Murphy? .338 question

What powder would you use in a 23" barreled .338 Win. Mag. shooting .225 grain Barnes X Tripple Shocks? I have been using RL 19 but I know you are fond of Hodgdon 4350. I have been using the 250 grain X for a number of years but I think they quit making that bullet and only make the 250 grain in the Tripple Shock version now. I trust your judgement.

Default RL-19 and the 338 Winchester

There are two powders that I have used extensively for the 338 Winchester and it is one of the calibers that I have loaded for many years and used in the hunting fields very heavily. RL-19 is, and has been for twenty years, my powder of choice for 225 grain bullets. The only powders I now use for any bullet in the 338 is H4350, H4831sc, and RL-19. I had an 8# jug of IMR-4831 of a certain lot for awhile and it was some kind of magical powder. I used it with great results in the 338, 7 mag, 30-06 and many others until it was gone. I bought a pound of another lot of the stuff and it was crap! So much difference that I thought it was another powder. Bought a different lot, trying to recapture that old magic and still no joy. I said good bye to IMR-4831.

One of the few calibers that I have had good luck with in the Barnes bullets has been the 338 Winchester. That is/was the 225 grain XFB with 72.0 grains of RL-19. This gives a velocity of 2800 and change in my 23" or 22.5" rifles. I have notes scribbled in many of my loading manuals with 225 grain bullets that say "this is it" RL-19 72.0 gr, and 225 grain bullets. In my Nosler #5 manual it is marked (by Nosler) as the most accurate powder, it is. This load gives typical velocity spreads of 10-15 fps!

With 250 grain bullets, RL-19 is still a good powder gives great accuracy but the highest velocity can be obtained with RL-22 or H4831 sc. I have yet to find a 338 that didn't like RL-19.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks Murphy

I guese I will stick with RL 19 for now since I have so much of it. I have also had success with RL 22. Years ago my old hunting partner had 7 lbs. of H4831 that consistently gave 100 fps mv more through the chrono then 2 other cans/lots of H4831 with the same charge. He said he would give me a can and I told him to keep it and not share it with anyone or give it all to me . He kept it! Thanks for your time. Where is my autographed copy of your book?

Thumbs up 338 Win

+ 3 on Reloader 19 for the 338 Win. I too use the 225 TSX.....@ 75.1 of RL 19. (close to Max)
    Alaska

I just bought some 225 grain XBT at sportsmans a month ago, has barnes really discontinued this bullet?! If so, BUMMER.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Thumbs down Yes

Yes The TSX replaced it.......
    Alaska

I was under the impression that the TSX was a better bullet that is supposed to reduce pressure and bbl fouling. Is that not true? If anyone wants them, Gator Guns in Kenai has some 225 grain x's in stock.

I couldnt edit my above post, but I should have written that I bought Tripple Shock XFB, not XFB as written, or original X's as implied.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    I was under the impression that the TSX was a better bullet that is supposed to reduce pressure and bbl fouling. Is that not true? If anyone wants them, Gator Guns in Kenai has some 225 grain x's in stock.

It is the new improved version. It still has higher friction than a lead core bullet but less than the old x's. They are still improving them by the way, thus the new MRX.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 338tsx

You should try the225 TSX, I have found them to be better than the original X bullet and have been able to work up some loads with velocites that exceed what I was able to attain with the original X bullets and as a bonus I have had less copper buildup with longer string.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )