Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One trip per day for charters

Default One trip per day for charters

Before charters go to a one fish limit, charters should be limited one trip per day for each angler endorsement of thier permit! So if a 6 pac boat wanted to run two trips per day the boat would have to have 12 angler endorsements!! If boats can run two trips or more per day there is no reason to go to a one fish limit!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Before charters go to a one fish limit, charters should be limited one trip per day for each angler endorsement of thier permit! So if a 6 pac boat wanted to run two trips per day the boat would have to have 12 angler endorsements!! If boats can run two trips or more per day there is no reason to go to a one fish limit!
    That is the FIRST place to cut. that should be cut out NOW. that would cut the overnight 2 limit boys who double dip as well. they come in early am and head out again later in the day.

kgpcr, It should be cut first, but we have some people lobbying for a GAF fish and not doing the right thing first!! A GAF fish should be way down the list of actions to be taken to provide a limit of two halibut for sport anglers, or I should say anglers that choose to use a means other than a private boat (non charter).

does anybody have any actual numbers of how many boats actually do 2 trips a day, how many clients they serve, and how many halibut it would save to restrict them to 1 trip a day?

270ti, out of Homer we have up to six cattle boats running two trips per day at 16 to 25 people per boat, and out of Anchor Pt one or two 6pac boats run two a day. I would say that about half of the charters out of Deep Cr and Ninilchik run two trips per day. My point is that if charters have to go to one fish and then pay for a second fish (GAF) before this action is taken a one trip per day for each angler endorsement on thier CHP! So if a six pac wants to run two trips per day then that boat would have to have a total of 12 angler endorsements.

Charterboat Operator

I think that the double trips should have been cancelled several years ago! would love to know the "truth" on how many times the captain and crew have actually kept double limits in a day? The other thing that should be done is to Eliminate the captain and crew fish, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    I think that the double trips should have been cancelled several years ago! would love to know the "truth" on how many times the captain and crew have actually kept double limits in a day? The other thing that should be done is to Eliminate the captain and crew fish, IMO
    I agree shut off the crew fish as well. At the least make them count twards their permit. If they have a 6 rod quota then if they keep fish only four guests can keep halibut. Rep inbound

No question that long beore we go to one fish or even one chicken and one any size, that actions will be taken to maintain a two fish limit. The measures that have been looked at so far are one trip per day, no captain and crew fish, or a 4 fish annual limit on charters, a 6 fish annual limit etc.. Some guides have even suggested that closeing two days a week to protect the two fish limit.
    One thing is for sure, in SouthCentral Alaska, under the proposed management rules, the guides on the managment implementation committee have agreed that they will make the hard decisions to keep two fish available as long as possible. There may be a time when there just are not enough fish but for now there are still plenty of other options to keep you guys coming back fishing on charters.

Does anyone have any accurate numbers on how many/what percentage of charters run two trips a day? I would assume that it's a pretty low number, but perhaps I'm wrong. I know that there are a few large boats in Homer that do two/day, but is it a common practice among smaller boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Does anyone have any accurate numbers on how many/what percentage of charters run two trips a day? I would assume that it's a pretty low number, but perhaps I'm wrong. I know that there are a few large boats in Homer that do two/day, but is it a common practice among smaller boats?
    Don't have any numbers, but I believe it is a very common thing out of deep creek.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Brian, It is very common during the peak of the season 15 Jun to 15 Aug out of Deep Creek and Ninilchik, The fact that some charters out of those two places could not fill out thier log books right alowed them to get CHP's for 12 people in fact check the Seago sight and one 12 person permit is for sale from a 6 pac!

The way I understand it, a breeder problem exists in 3a. Lots of smaller halibut, but breeders are disappearing at a rapid and unexplained rate. Halibut are also growing slower.

So would it make sense to cut back the 2 trip a day boats, that don't really catch the breeders? It's my understanding that those boats catch small halibut, which plenty exist. Why ruin a business model that isn't really part of the problem?

I'd say rather than go that route, go to area closures. Require logbooks with actual weights recorded, and gps coordinates. When certain areas are hammered for breeders, shut em down! That way each area and guide is directly responsible for it's actions, and the "buck" isn't passed to other users to stay under a ghl.

This is about the halibut, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    No question that long beore we go to one fish or even one chicken and one any size, that actions will be taken to maintain a two fish limit. The measures that have been looked at so far are one trip per day, no captain and crew fish, or a 4 fish annual limit on charters, a 6 fish annual limit etc.. Some guides have even suggested that closeing two days a week to protect the two fish limit.
    One thing is for sure, in SouthCentral Alaska, under the proposed management rules, the guides on the managment implementation committee have agreed that they will make the hard decisions to keep two fish available as long as possible. There may be a time when there just are not enough fish but for now there are still plenty of other options to keep you guys coming back fishing on charters.
    Thanks for all your work to keep this within the realm of sanity, Andy! I enjoy charter fishing (I sold my boat because I couldn't justify the cost).So charters are my only pipeline to fresh halibut now. I'm going to try surf fishing for them this year, but I love the boat trips.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I can't speak for the Deep Creek/Ninilchik crowd, and don't have actual numbers for the Homer boats, but I do know just from observation that there don't seem to be a lot of boats that pass me in the time when you'd expect to see boats heading out for a second trip. When I do see them they always seem to be the "cattle" boats heading for a chicken patch.

I have never done two trips in one day even when I've had people that only wanted a "half" day. Seems like way too much work for not so much reward.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    The way I understand it, a breeder problem exists in 3a. Lots of smaller halibut, but breeders are disappearing at a rapid and unexplained rate. Halibut are also growing slower.

So would it make sense to cut back the 2 trip a day boats, that don't really catch the breeders? It's my understanding that those boats catch small halibut, which plenty exist. Why ruin a business model that isn't really part of the problem?

I'd say rather than go that route, go to area closures. Require logbooks with actual weights recorded, and gps coordinates. When certain areas are hammered for breeders, shut em down! That way each area and guide is directly responsible for it's actions, and the "buck" isn't passed to other users to stay under a ghl.

This is about the halibut, right?
    Because some of the charters and captains on here from 3a complaining about the chicken killers are the same ones that target and kill the breeders... Complaining about twice a day charters bringing in 15lb chickens that are the highest population class or the commercial fishermen is easier and helps justify their own damage then to acknowledge the fact that catch and release of the larger size breeders is a better answer.

Redleader and 270ti, I am not a charter. I do not care what size fish anyone kills! If you don't know the diffrence between half day boats and two trips a day boats, and double limit trip operation maybe you should educate your self about that topic first! Could you tell me how many longliners do catch and release on larger size breeders, or if you could hook me up with one I would go film a show to help promote what good stewarts of the resource they are.

You also might go back and read the pointI was trying to make about CHP angler endorsements. One angler per angler endorsement per day. Is that to hard to grasp?

I would fully support one trip per day. I also agree the captain and crew should not be allowed to fish. It seems a lot of them just give it to the clients anyway and I don't think that they should be allowed to do that. The limit is 2 fish each not 2 fish + what the guide catches.

The one and only time we went on a charter it was in August and the captain told us during July he made 63 trips in 31 days. So he had at least one day where they did 3 trips. This was was out of Deep Creek and he said some days they only had one trip booked but finished early and then had some walk ins come in looking to go so they accomodated them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Muttley, you would have to go past Anchor Pt about 20miles to see the boats from Deep Creek and Ninilchik running the two prips per day!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Redleader and 270ti, I am not a charter. I do not care what size fish anyone kills! If you don't know the diffrence between half day boats and two trips a day boats, and double limit trip operation maybe you should educate your self about that topic first! Could you tell me how many longliners do catch and release on larger size breeders, or if you could hook me up with one I would go film a show to help promote what good stewarts of the resource they are.

You also might go back and read the pointI was trying to make about CHP angler endorsements. One angler per angler endorsement per day. Is that to hard to grasp?

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but it's a breeder problem in 3a. Breeders meaning those 30lb + fish.

This is about the halibut, right? Why would you go ahead and ruin a good business model, that isn't part of the problem, and ignore the real problem at hand?

Sure it's cool to demonize those cattle boats.... but they are doing far less damage to the resource than others! This isn't about that the commercial fleet does or doesn't do.. This is about the charter fleet.

If you want the stocks to rebuild, stop killing the breeders.. it's simple!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I also agree the captain and crew should not be allowed to fish. It seems a lot of them just give it to the clients anyway and I don't think that they should be allowed to do that. The limit is 2 fish each not 2 fish + what the guide catches.
    That was a real bummer when capt halibut went away for us in SE, but I see the reasoning behind it, given some of the posts on this forum.. But then again I'm a year round resident, paid money for a fishing license, i didn't give any fish away to clients to suck up for tips or make up for small halibut, nor did I send it down to friends and relatives in fish boxes.. Pisses me off that the hack job captains abused it so bad that it went away! When it was legal, I kept maybe 2 or 3 a season to have fresh fish in the middle of the season, as I was chartering 25 days a month, and whatever days I got off I was cleaning my house or catching up on bills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast